• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I'm not 100% comfortable with putting our 1-0 lead at risk, I'm still not too worried about the declaration. 2 years ago we defended a smaller total, against a better SRL batting lineup on a flatter pitch. If our bowlers perform to their potential then Sri Lanka have no chance.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
While I'm not 100% comfortable with putting our 1-0 lead at risk, I'm still not too worried about the declaration. 2 years ago we defended a smaller total, against a better SRL batting lineup on a flatter pitch. If our bowlers perform to their potential then Sri Lanka have no chance.
Yup, remember that test. Southee and Boult were red-hot, don't think I've seen them swing the red ball as much as on that tour and Bracewell chipped in with the wickets of Sanga and Mahela. Hope for something similar from him tomorrow.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I bought my ticket for tomorrow as soon as I finished work tonight.

Yay for Wednesdays off.

Bahnz definitely needs to puts some big money on a SL win!

Moss

International Vice-Captain
How's Doug's batting coming along? First saw him in the 2010 Champions League game against CSK, scored 30 against a pretty good attack and looked like he could be a test no.7. For NZ he seemed like the second coming of Ajit Agarkar with the bat.

Last edited:

Adgey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Williamson now averages 45.96. Is that the highest in New Zealand history for anyone whos played over about 10 games? Not bad for a 24 year old.

I do think this might be his peak for a while though maybe until his latish twenties.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How's Doug's batting coming along? First saw him in the 2010 Champions League game against CSK, scored 30 against a pretty good attack and looked like he could be a test no.7. For NZ he seemed like the second coming of Ajit Agarkar with the bat.
Yeah he scores pretty breezy and frequent runs in our domestic comps. At no stage have CD put him in their red ball top 6 or anything yet.

Cricket: Contrite Bracewell puts best foot forward - Sport - NZ Herald News

He foresees a time when he'll be competing against Corey Anderson and Jimmy Neesham for a test spot, or at least making himself more alluring as a third pace bowler with a reliable bat.

"Being an all-rounder has always been a focus but there's plenty of competition.

"I'm in the team as a bowler, but batting is just as important. So I try to grab whoever's around to work on it at the end of training.
The ton he's made so far (with a completely free licence, NZA chasing a massive target and nowhere near it) -

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
I was critical of the declaration last year because we didn't really have a crack at winning, so I can't complain about this decision.

I still can't see Sri Lanka reaching the target, but an extra 25- 30 runs in 7 overs may have made today a bit easier. McCullum did good imo.

If we get prasad asap I will be very happy. One less tailender for sanga/mathews to bat with later today. The runrate may drop a bit as well.

Last edited:

Binkley

U19 Captain
Light rain falling at the Basin btw. Drizzle forecast for the morning.
http://wixcam.citylink.co.nz/mount-victoria/
Yeah. I had to shoo a caterwauling cat away at 3am and was surprised to find myself in the rain. And it was still drizzling steadily when I left home at 7.15am. There is still damp in the air and the hills are shrouded in low cloud, so there is the potential for a late start - but I reckon the wind will pick up in a wee while and clear most of the drizzle away.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah. I had to shoo a caterwauling cat away at 3am and was surprised to find myself in the rain. And it was still drizzling steadily when I left home at 7.15am. There is still damp in the air and the hills are shrouded in low cloud, so there is the potential for a late start - but I reckon the wind will pick up in a wee while and clear most of the drizzle away.
Similar up here in the hills of Khandallah. The forecast suggests there could be some light rain around 10am although said the same on Saturday.

"Fine spells developing. Southerlies.
Wellington City Weather - NZ Weather Forecast Wellington City from MetService.com

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not going to lie, I read that forecast as "fine spells developing. Southees."

Blocky

Banned
Wellington is one of the few places in the world that overcast conditions means the ball isn't likely to swing, you generally need a bright blue sky day which is weird.

Hamilton is the complete opposite, a nice humid overcast day = swing central.

Viddly

Cricket Spectator
Anyone who thinks the declaration was early is dreaming. As far as I can make out, only one team has ever chased 350 or more at a run rate greater than 3.6. If SL can pull off one of the greatest chases ever then it won't be the fault of the declaration.

Statistically I would guess that the most likely result is NZ win but my gut says SL will bat this out. If the game is still in the balance come tea time the new ball shortly thereafter will be the critical factor.

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
Sanga can score quicker than the rest of the sl order. Could he break the record for most runs in a losing side. Would be an epic finish if he did.

Blocky

Banned
Anyone who thinks the declaration was early is dreaming. As far as I can make out, only one team has ever chased 350 or more at a run rate greater than 3.6. If SL can pull off one of the greatest chases ever then it won't be the fault of the declaration.

Statistically I would guess that the most likely result is NZ win but my gut says SL will bat this out. If the game is still in the balance come tea time the new ball shortly thereafter will be the critical factor.
The problem with this viewpoint is

A: We just saw a pretty long standing world record broken in regards to run scored by a single partnership (Against SL). Williamson and Watling were able to bat 110 overs on this wicket and put on 365 runs, the wicket has not deteriorated any further since Day 3.

B: We saw last year on the same ground a similar partnership in the closing stages of a test match with Watling and McCullum indicating that batting here in the final days is pretty easy, irregardless of the bowling attack.

C: Yesterday afternoon, our main weapons looked practically toothless save for a couple of balls that beat the bat, before the wicket fell to a mistake against the spin bowler, Sri Lanka were keeping pace with the scoring rate.

Had we batted another 10 overs, put on another 35-45 runs and made it 100 overs to score 420+ then you've effectively removed any chance Sri Lanka have of winning the match, can afford to attack all day long without any risk of losing the match and set ultra aggressive fields.

It'll come down to where Sri Lanka are at with about 30 overs to go. If they're chasing say 150 with 30 to go, six wickets in the bank then they'll have a run at it. And they'll probably be favorites by that point too.

Last edited:

Jimbo the giant

U19 12th Man
The problem with this viewpoint is

A: We just saw a pretty long standing world record broken in regards to run scored by a single partnership (Against SL). Williamson and Watling were able to bat 110 overs on this wicket and put on 365 runs, the wicket has not deteriorated any further since Day 3.

B: We saw last year on the same ground a similar partnership in the closing stages of a test match with Watling and McCullum indicating that batting here in the final days is pretty easy, irregardless of the bowling attack.

C: Yesterday afternoon, our main weapons looked practically toothless save for a couple of balls that beat the bat, before the wicket fell to a mistake against the spin bowler, Sri Lanka were keeping pace with the scoring rate.

Had we batted another 10 overs, put on another 35-45 runs and made it 100 overs to score 420+ then you've effectively removed any chance Sri Lanka have of winning the match, can afford to attack all day long without any risk of losing the match and set ultra aggressive fields.

It'll come down to where Sri Lanka are at with about 30 overs to go. If they're chasing say 150 with 30 to go, six wickets in the bank then they'll have a run at it. And they'll probably be favorites by that point too.
I see where your coming from but SL batsman as a whole haven't been scoring very quickly this tour a change in tempo will lead to more chances. We need them to take risks to get them out because the pitch is still good. 345 off 90, 1 down is stiff especially with 4 tailenders and prasana and thirimanne in a form slump.

If you could only take 1 of this declaration and the Indian declaration what would you take?

Flem274*

123/5
We'll know what they're thinking if/when Thirimanne bats. Most of the Sri Lankan batsmen like to score at a reasonable rate but Thirimanne does stone wall pretty well, like we saw in Christchurch.

Blocky

Banned
I see where your coming from but SL batsman as a whole haven't been scoring very quickly this tour a change in tempo will lead to more chances. We need them to take risks to get them out because the pitch is still good. 345 off 90, 1 down is stiff especially with 4 tailenders and prasana and thirimanne in a form slump.

If you could only take 1 of this declaration and the Indian declaration what would you take?
They weren't that far off the scoring pace in their first innings at 3.48, despite being 5 for 78 after 25 overs. Hard to judge their second innings from the first test due to A: Different conditions and B: Being on a hiding to nothing.

Sanga and Matthews are both world class, both in top form and Sanga already has 200 to his name in this test at a strike rate that would make things interesting.

I think the Indian declaration was too late, but was also a hiding to nothing as time had eroded in that match.
I think this declaration is too early and opens up the chance that they beat us. Therefore I'd take the Indian declaration, we were already ahead in the series, an amazing come from behind performance put them out of the game and by the time we had enough runs to entertain a declaration, time was already up.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The total was probably 20-30 short as many have said, but I feel like that was negated by the fact a decently in-form opener was dismissed in the last 4 overs - which if we'd batted on, may not have happened.

I am worried about Sanga and Mathews, it's not rocket science but they are the two that won't be mentally phased by chasing a 350+ total. History tells us the rest of them will struggle, no matter how flat. I also worry that Prasad might swing from the arse and give them a bit of momentum early. Getting him quick smart is probably much more important than Silva.

Obviously it'll also be a relatively easy one to stay in on and go nowhere if you don't want to get out.