• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

amit__

Banned
i cant understand y most of the indians out here r pessimistic. india, has recently started to produce tearaway bowlers who bowl at over 140 kph like vrv singh, rp singh, munaf patel, sree santh and abid nabi. also, ashish nehra was the 2nd fastest bowler in the wc 2003 after shane bond and clocked over 149.9 kph with zaheer khan bowling at 145.4 kph. irfan pathan, also bowled swingers at 143 kph in aus.

also, this sri lankan team, stands a very little chance of beating india in india. i would say that the series would end in a 6-1(maybe 5-2) win to india. sri lanka, will ffind it tough to beat a team like india in india. also, now even tendulkar is back making things tougher for the sri lankans.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
amit__ said:
i cant understand y most of the indians out here r pessimistic. india, has recently started to produce tearaway bowlers who bowl at over 140 kph like vrv singh, rp singh, munaf patel, sree santh and abid nabi. also, ashish nehra was the 2nd fastest bowler in the wc 2003 after shane bond and clocked over 149.9 kph with zaheer khan bowling at 145.4 kph. irfan pathan, also bowled swingers at 143 kph in aus.

also, this sri lankan team, stands a very little chance of beating india in india. i would say that the series would end in a 6-1(maybe 5-2) win to india. sri lanka, will ffind it tough to beat a team like india in india. also, now even tendulkar is back making things tougher for the sri lankans.
None of the Indian bowlers bowls in the 140's. Someone has fed you some hype I am afraid my friend. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
We should desist from reading too much into Sri Lanka's losing to a second string Mumbai side.

Remember this or even this and what happened after that when the tour proper started.

amit__

Banned
SJS said:
None of the Indian bowlers bowls in the 140's. Someone has fed you some hype I am afraid my friend. :)
sjs, it looks as if u r the one who has been hyped. check this out from cricinfo about bowling speeds recorded till 2002 - http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/STATS/FC/BOWLING/BOWLING_SPEEDS.html

and here r the indian entries in that list -

Javagal Srinath India 149.6 v Australia 1997/98 season
Javagal Srinath India 149.6 unknown Jun 1999
Ajit Agarkar India 145.4 v Zimbabwe 13/03/2002
Zaheer Khan India 145.0 v Zimbabwe 21/02/2002
Zaheer Khan India 143.8 unknown Oct 2000
Ajit Agarkar India 143.7 v Zimbabwe Jun 2001
Zaheer Khan India 142 v Australia 11/03/2001
Ashish Nehra India 141 v West Indies 21/04/2002

and out of these, agarkar, zaheer and nehra, still play cricket.

and from the wc 2003, check this out - http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/130372.html
India
Ashish Nehra 149.7 km/h v Zimbabwe
Zaheer Khan 147.4 km/h v Holland
Javagal Srinath 143.0 km/h v England

i will be posting very soon proofs of irfan bowling at 140kph+

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
amit__ said:
sjs, it looks as if u r the one who has been hyped. check this out from cricinfo about bowling speeds recorded till 2002 - http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/STATS/FC/BOWLING/BOWLING_SPEEDS.html

and here r the indian entries in that list -

Javagal Srinath India 149.6 v Australia 1997/98
season
Javagal Srinath India 149.6 unknown Jun 1999

Ajit Agarkar India 145.4 v Zimbabwe 13/03/2002

Zaheer Khan India 145.0 v Zimbabwe 21/02/2002
Zaheer Khan India 143.8 unknown Oct 2000

Ajit Agarkar India 143.7 v Zimbabwe Jun 2001
Zaheer Khan India 142 v Australia 11/03/2001

Ashish Nehra India 141 v West Indies 21/04/2002

and out of these, agarkar, zaheer and nehra, still play cricket.

and from the wc 2003, check this out - http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/130372.html
India
Ashish Nehra 149.7 km/h v Zimbabwe
Zaheer Khan 147.4 km/h v Holland
Javagal Srinath 143.0 km/h v England

i will be posting very soon proofs of irfan bowling at 140kph+
Amit, my dear, yester years figures dont count for tomorrow's matches.

Look up the current bowling speeds.

This is not to start an argument nor do I wish to run down Indian bowlers for the heck of it but the fact is that speeds have dropped for all of them and none of them is currently bowling in the 140's.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
and Dilhara bowls a no ball, why am I not surprised? Jeez......so SL lost to a President's XI.
I hope they don't think the national team will be easier.
That is fair result considering Mumbai MCA President's XI were the better Team on the day. Some Fine young batsmen and bowlers in their ranks .

It seems the final XI for SL will probably look like this

Jayasuriya (? injury)
Tharanga
Atapattu
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Dilshan
Chandana
Vaas
Maharoof
Zoysa
Murali

If Jayasuriya is unable to play due to injury then I suspect Arnold will come into the Team, Tharanga and Atapattu will be at the top of the order.
Supersub will then be Samaraweera, I suspect.

amit__

Banned
SJS said:
Amit, my dear, yester years figures dont count for tomorrow's matches.

Look up the current bowling speeds.

This is not to start an argument nor do I wish to run down Indian bowlers for the heck of it but the fact is that speeds have dropped for all of them and none of them is currently bowling in the 140's.
i was initially trying to fins out current speeds, but unfortunately, i could not find info about the recent speeds. once i find them, i will tell you. irfan pathan, did bowl at 143 kph in aus. whether u like it or not, but most of the indian bowlers still bowl at over 140 kph.

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
That is fair result considering Mumbai MCA President's XI were the better Team on the day. Some Fine young batsmen and bowlers in their ranks .

It seems the final XI for SL will probably look like this

Jayasuriya (? injury)
Tharanga
Atapattu
Sangakkara
Jayawardene
Dilshan
Chandana
Vaas
Maharoof
Zoysa
Murali

If Jayasuriya is unable to play due to injury then I suspect Arnold will come into the Team, Tharanga and Atapattu will be at the top of the order.
Supersub will then be Samaraweera, I suspect.
i agree with ur lineup but i think if sanath plays then the supersub will be arnold. if sanath does't play then arnold comes in to the team so the supersub will probably be Lokuhettige.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
amit__ said:
i was initially trying to fins out current speeds, but unfortunately, i could not find info about the recent speeds. once i find them, i will tell you. irfan pathan, did bowl at 143 kph in aus. whether u like it or not, but most of the indian bowlers still bowl at over 140 kph.

The odd one-off ball means nothing.

amit__

Banned
marc71178 said:
The odd one-off ball means nothing.
except brett lee and shoaib akhtar, there is no bowler who consitently bowls at over 140 kph. the others, just chip in with 4-5 140+ kph deliveries in a match.

also, indian bowlers bowl a lot faster than what many ppl think they bowl.

amit__

Banned
marc71178 said:
But these are just one or 2 deliveries in a career you're talking about - not 4 or 5 a game!
marc71178, that isnt just 2 deliveries in a career. there have been many more indian entries than that. nehra and zaheer, have consistently bowled at over 140+ kph since the wc 2003. if those lists which i provided earlier are updated to recent matches, there will be many more indian entries out there with zaheer, nehra, agarkar and even irfan pathan and balaji getting in there. the speeds which were provided were just the highest speed bowled by that bowler. those bowlers, would have bowled a few delivereis slower than those mentinoned but still above 140+ kph.

amit__

Banned
what xi would u go in for the 1st odi ??? my pick -

sehwag
gambhir
tendulkar
dravid
yuvraj
rao
dhoni(w)
jp yadav
pathan
sree santh
harbhajan
super-sub: agarkar

adharcric

International Coach
amit__ said:
marc71178, that isnt just 2 deliveries in a career. there have been many more indian entries than that. nehra and zaheer, have consistently bowled at over 140+ kph since the wc 2003. if those lists which i provided earlier are updated to recent matches, there will be many more indian entries out there with zaheer, nehra, agarkar and even irfan pathan and balaji getting in there. the speeds which were provided were just the highest speed bowled by that bowler. those bowlers, would have bowled a few delivereis slower than those mentinoned but still above 140+ kph.
i really hope you weren't serious there when you associated balaji with pace. you can look at what our bowlers are consistently bowling, and what they have shown they can consistently bowl.
pathan: bowling in the low 130s, normally mid-130s (should be faster)
zaheer: bowling in the low 130s, normally high-130s (its been awhile)
nehra: bowling in mid 130s, normally high-130s/140 (close to his peak)
balaji: nothing more than low 130s
agarkar: not sure, mid-130s?

regarding vr singh, abid nabi, munaf patel and sreesanth, those guys are probably genuine pace bowlers, as in 140+ frequently. rp singh is in no way a pace bowler, he himself has said he's a pure swing bowler ... so i'm glad you're not pessimistic about indian bowlers, just don't be too unrealistic about them.