• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka in India 2014

viriya

International Captain
In other news I really don't understand why Mathews doesn't trust himself to bowl his 10 overs.. he's close to being SL's best bowler atm (not saying much tbf)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
In last night's line-up he was probably the best ODI bowler, but his skillset if very much suited to the first 40 overs, if he isn't bowled out by then he probably doesn't trust himself to do the job as a finisher

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
In last night's line-up he was probably the best ODI bowler, but his skillset if very much suited to the first 40 overs, if he isn't bowled out by then he probably doesn't trust himself to do the job as a finisher
Yeah, one of the reasons he's so effective is because he has a defined role and doesn't always bowl his ten overs. In the context of last night's lineup though he probably should've made sure he bowled himself out in the first 40 if he didn't back himself to bowl after that.

viriya

International Captain
Truth is, aside from Malinga, no other SL bowler (except maybe Kula when he's not mentally shot) has any idea about bowling in the last 10 overs.. I watched some of Rohit's massacre and Mathews did bowl in the last 10 - he got punished but not as much as the others.. Bowling in the last 10 is about keeping your head together 90% of the time and I would back Mathews to keep it together than most.

Either way, considering how he has been doing so well when he has bowled between 0-40 overs, he really needs to bowl out.. He definitely underrates himself.

Unrelated comment.. when is Mahela going to open again? He wants to, he has a great (much better than his overall stats) record opening, and SL really have no good option to go with Dilshan atm (aside from potentially Tharanga who can't even get into the team)...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Mahela has always been a much better opener than a middle order in limited overs cricket. I think the reason he hasn't opened regularly is the fact that, with Dilshan and Sanga also in the top three, it'd make the team really top-heavy. I've disagreed with logic anyway on the grounds that Jayawardene simply isn't a very good middle order batsman in one day cricket, but even if you ignore that, the rise of Angelo Mathews in the lower middle order makes the point null and void now. If Jayawardene is part of the top three and they get knocked over then it's not curtains; Mathews has proven himself as reliable and high quality now.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
I feel like it's Sanath trying to keep him in the middle order to provide "stability" when Mahela has just been an average ODI batsmen all his career in the middle order while averaging 40+ with a 90+ sr when he got the chance to open.. The argument that the side is top heavy is kind of nonsensical imo, it's a 50 over game and SL's young batsmen are ****e wherever you put them anyway so why not maximize the returns from a player that can actually make a difference?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Truth is, aside from Malinga, no other SL bowler (except maybe Kula when he's not mentally shot) has any idea about bowling in the last 10 overs.. I watched some of Rohit's massacre and Mathews did bowl in the last 10 - he got punished but not as much as the others.. Bowling in the last 10 is about keeping your head together 90% of the time and I would back Mathews to keep it together than most.
We really miss Senanayake, worth considering that management is looking to develop a few more options as well, that's probably why we are seeing guys like Lakmal, Prasad and Eranga bowling death overs lately and Matthews not even bowling out.

Either way, considering how he has been doing so well when he has bowled between 0-40 overs, he really needs to bowl out.. He definitely underrates himself.
Yeah I don't understand why he didn't bowl out, if he's bowling well he really should

YorksLanka

International Debutant
we need to sort out our heads in the batting powerplay as its almost as if our batsmen hear a claxton in thieir mind to try and hit everything out of the ground and then give their wickets away..Yes make use of it but if you are going at 5-6 an over before it, carry on and just put the bad ball away- dont kids who play cricket know that too?
As for the batting debate, i agree Mahela should open with Dilly, Matthews and Thirri seem to be holding the middle order ok and i would say add in Chandimal below them as i personally feel he isnt ready to bat as high as #3 yet.I reckon putting him at #6 will easehis nerves and let him score some much needed runs..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Better to have holes in the middle order than right at the top, Mahela to open, Sanga at 3, Thirrimanne at 4 cos he's in good form now, Matthews the beast at five and Tharanga/Chandimal/Priyanjan or whoever at 6 then Thisara and the bowlers, simple

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Also worth noting that Dilshan said a while ago that he preferred opening with Mahela because it took some of the pressure off him

viriya

International Captain
Even if he is moved up the order it's sad that it's done when there's only a few months left in his career.. Better late than never I guess. It probably won't even happen.