• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well played by Maharoof in the end, though I daresay he got a bit carried away there at the end with the recent flurry of boundaries (not that I'm watching it, mind you). Hopefully Samaraweera and Mahela can build on this rather than letting Sri Lanka fall in a heap.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
I'm not saying that they would win the Ashes for England. The point is that they have never been given a chance. Nobody knows whether they would be good enough to do so, although their limited opportunities suggest that they might well be. We do know, however, that they have all been excellent county players for many years, and in a meritocracy would all have been given an extended run. What we also know that Lewis destroyed the Sri Lankan top order just last week - the same top order that England are facing in this match. That alone makes him easily worthy of an opportunity.

Honestly, if Fraser were bowling in the CC these days then i think the majority of people would say he's not quick enough to be test class. The speed gun has made people clueless.

8-)
Totally agree, and just so long as an attack is balanced, there ought to be a place for the medium-pacer (some would argue that's what Hoggard is).

I like a varied attack, and I think that England's 'A' team is definitely Hoggard, Harmison, Jones and Fred - that's really because all four are so different. I reckon the selectors have tried to keep that variation in the side this time, but I wouldn't have argued too much if they had gone with Lewis.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mahela playing brilliantly in this test.

Very very good to see him improving his away record.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
If they can get a lead of 150 and let Murali bowl the entire time, we might see a result we saw in 1999. I doubt it, but credit to Sri Lanka for fighting so hard. They're obviously not in the same class as England, but that doesn't mean they can't make it interesting. I remember Tony Grieg talking about England drawing a series against the West Indies in the early 70s that they were thrilled with because the WI were a better team by comparison. By comparison England are better, but if things go the right way and they fight hard, who knows.

Scaly piscine

I hope everyone now realises England did declare too early - 3 days and a session is plenty of time for any side to score plenty over two innings and leave a daft little target. Weather forecasts are a far too unreliable in this country to worry too much about.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As usual sp never stopw his whinning and keeps contradict himself. England declared early that's why they still have chance to win this test.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
It is nothing but a myth that pace is NEEDED to take wickets at test level and a DISGRACE that skilled bowlers like Lewis/Johnson/Kirtley/Saggers have never been given an extended chance to show what they can do.
Except Johnson, Kirtley and Saggers have all looked to be substandard in Tests and Lewis in ODs...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
As usual sp never stopw his whinning and keeps contradict himself. England declared early that's why they still have chance to win this test.
He's often shown that facts are irrelelvant for him...

Scaly piscine

As usual Sanz shows why he's still on my ignore list, how would batting, for example, for another 8 overs to get another 50+ stop England from having the chance to win this game? It's pretty obvious to all but complete idiots that once SL overtook England's score (with more than a whole day left as it happened, unsurprisingly, without SL scoring quickly at all) England should have carried on batting for longer when they could take more risks, bat against a knackered and disheartened team on a 2nd day pitch and score at least as quickly as they will tomorrow (if and when they bat).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
As usual Sanz shows why he's still on my ignore list, how would batting, for example, for another 8 overs to get another 50+ stop England from having the chance to win this game? It's pretty obvious to all but complete idiots that once SL overtook England's score (with more than a whole day left as it happened, unsurprisingly, without SL scoring quickly at all) England should have carried on batting for longer when they could take more risks, bat against a knackered and disheartened team on a 2nd day pitch and score at least as quickly as they will tomorrow (if and when they bat).
How can you tell what he said if he's on your ignore list? :wacko:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because of those 8 overs Lanka would have gone into the dressing room with Mahela @ 119 Not out. And not only that @ the end of day 2 SriLanka would have gone into the Dressing room @ 80/2 or something because on day 2 last 4 wickets fell in those 8 overs, that you have been whinning since day 2.

Had England played another 8 overs they probably would have ended up with another 49 runs (that's what Freddie and Geraint scored in 8 overs they played) with may be a wicket or two. So here are the two choices :-

A. Freddie's decision - @ the end of the day 2 England ended up with 551/6, SL 91/6
B. SP's decision - @ the end of day 2 England 600/X, SL 70-75/2.

I take A any day and so would most English fans but I cant say the same about some Durham fan though. ;);) He would rather have 11 Durham boys play for England than England win the test. How else can one explain your continous diatribe against Sajid who has taken 5 wickets so far yet continued to be called 'lucky' as opposed to your Durham boy who has gone wicketless so far.

And not to forget because of those 8 less overs, on Day 4 DPMJ is back in pavilion, else they would have gone with 370-375/5 with two settled batsmen. So who is the idiot here ??

Let me guess his name sounds like Scaly Piscine. And please continue to keep me on your ignore list. ;)

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Sanz Must be really upset8-)

Bud luck again for Jayawardena ...... SL certainly did not need another bad decision :blink: :@

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
I think Marc quoted my post and Marc is one of the few people who is not on SP's ignore list.:dry:

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
I think Marc quoted my post and Marc is one of the few people who is not on SP's ignore list.:dry:
It really is impossible to ignore you isn't it. Sanz is always out to haunt SP, even if its through other members' quotes. :laugh: