• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Whats your point? Let them off because they (purportedly, and which I have a hard time believing) can't afford the punishment?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Aamir has just started playing cricket, how rich do you think he is, plus I have been hearing that even Butt is having financial problems paying for his lawyer.
So let's just let all of the other millions of people in the world who are too poor to afford to good lawyers off their charges. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Whats your point? Let them off because they (purportedly, and which I have a hard time believing) can't afford the punishment?
Don't get me wrong, they should get a life ban from cricket, but putting them on trial is going too far. Would you condemn a whole family for a no-ball.

The following is an article written by Mike Atherton. Notice the part where he says that Butt is in financial strife.

No mercy expected for Pakistan trio | The Australian

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
As I have mentioned his whole family could pay the price, and not just him.
So what? I've no doubt his whole family would've got benefits from the cash he made both within and outside the law.

He's done wrong, and deserves to be punished for it. Since the CPS deem he's done enough to warrant being taken to court, then he has to deal with it.

smash84

The Tiger King
So what? I've no doubt his whole family would've got benefits from the cash he made both within and outside the law.

He's done wrong, and deserves to be punished for it. Since the CPS deem he's done enough to warrant being taken to court, then he has to deal with it.
Yes if you do a fraud or something without your family knowing it I think that your family should suffer from it as well. Maybe you would like them to be thrown in jail too???. WOW......brilliant reasoing

If Amir has done something wrong he should be fully dealt with. Why will the family have to suffer in the first place????

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

It was his first incident, and the money from it was confiscated by the metropolitan police. So his family couldn't have befitted. As for cash made with the law, how much money do you think the PCB pays its cricketers and he has just started playing. His family is still dirt poor from a village in Pakistan.

I can't believe some people think that a criminal trial is an appropriate punishment for bowling a no-ball.

Regarding legal aid, does anybody know if non British citizens are eligible for legal aid in a criminal case?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's not just for bowling a no ball, there's a little bit more to this case than simply that. Anyone who cannot see that needs to get their head out of the sand.

smash84

The Tiger King
It was his first incident, and the money from it was confiscated by the metropolitan police. So his family couldn't have befitted. As for cash made with the law, how much money do you think the PCB pays its cricketers and he has just started playing. His family is still dirt poor from a village in Pakistan.

I can't believe some people think that a criminal trial is an appropriate punishment for bowling a no-ball.

Regarding legal aid, does anybody know if non British citizens are eligible for legal aid in a criminal case?
In a situation where one is being paid to professionally represent a nation I do believe it should be a criminal offence to take money to bowl no balls. Your sensibilities must have gone into the gutter.

Teja.

Global Moderator
People make it seem as though the family is legally obligated to pay Aamir for legal fees. He's an adult, His dad and mum are adults, If they don't want to pay a penny to help Aamir get a good lawyer, they don't have to.

The reality is that his family will probably help him out but there's a huge difference between that and acting like his entire family is suffering legal punishment.

smash84

The Tiger King
People make it seem as though the family is legally obligated to pay Aamir for legal fees. He's an adult, His dad and mum are adults, If they don't want to pay a penny to help Aamir get a good lawyer, they don't have to.

The reality is that his family will probably help him out but there's a huge difference between that and acting like his entire family is suffering legal punishment.
EXACTLY......well said............

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
It's not just for bowling a no ball, there's a little bit more to this case than simply that. Anyone who cannot see that needs to get their head out of the sand.
What I mean is that at this point he has just bowled a no-ball. He hasn't received any cash, hasn't committed fraud and nor has he organised the incident. All that has happened is that a NOTW reporter paid the agent cash for a demonstration to spot mixing. I agree that if they hadn't been caught then they would have gone on to fix matches and defraud bookies.

Banning for life is a fair enough punishment, but prosecuting for something he hasn't committed yet is harsh. You then go into the territory where you start predicting whether he will match fix and defraud bookies i.e. to punish someone on the basis of future criminal activity. This is wrong.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

So his family should just disown him and let him rot, would you do that to the next of kin.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
In a situation where one is being paid to professionally represent a nation I do believe it should be a criminal offence to take money to bowl no balls. Your sensibilities must have gone into the gutter.
Nobody should be criminally prosecuted for such a minor incident, especially at that age. He hasn't committed murder, but rather he has made a mistake. According to your logic he might as well be hung for treason.