• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South African tour of England and Ireland 2022

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More importantly, bring him on to Pope! I actually reckon Pope might have the biggest gap between proficiency vs seam-up and proficiency vs spin in the world, at least for a frontline batsman.
So far England's middle order has fallen exclusively to memes. Root lbw to ball tailing in, Bairstow BOWLED. Stokes will get out bowled/lbw slogging spin at this rate. Pope to spontaneously combust at the sight of Maharaj.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha I'm just realising the extent of this. He wouldn't last an over against an equivalent standard of spin to what he's handled this morning.
One of the very few occasions where I thought taking someone who primarily batted 4-5 in domestic cricket and trying to make them a Test #3 was a actually a good idea. He still needs to seriously work on his game against spin if he wants to make a serious fist of that, but batting him at #5-6 in tests was going to end in tears far more quickly than sticking him in the top 3 despite his lack of experience there.

Shady Slim

International Coach
More importantly, bring him on to Pope! I actually reckon Pope might have the biggest gap between proficiency vs seam-up and proficiency vs spin in the world, at least for a frontline batsman.
surely he can't be worse than david warner away from home remembering even moeen ali managed to son him

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One of the very few occasions where I thought taking someone who primarily batted 4-5 in domestic cricket and trying to make them a Test #3 was a actually a good idea. He still needs to seriously work on his game against spin if he wants to make a serious fist of that, but batting him at #5-6 in tests was going to end in tears far more quickly than sticking him in the top 3 despite his lack of experience there.
Yeah I thought it was the right decision too, especially given the limited options at 3. But I did think he'd struggle more in such difficult conditions. Not that he's been perfect, but he's required a normal amount of luck to survive while keeping the runs flowing.