• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa vs England (3 ODI):Jan 27-Feb 04, 2023 in SAfrica

Molehill

International Captain
Didn't know Roy still had an innings of this kind in him. Hope it's not just a one off. It could be he's more suited now to ODI than T20.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't know Roy still had an innings of this kind in him. Hope it's not just a one off. It could be he's more suited now to ODI than T20.
I think it always has been, he was okay at t20i, but at 50 overs, nearly 40 at over 100 is outstanding almost unprecedented.

Yet we could have a contest now.

Last edited:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Hmm, when was the last time Hales played a non-T20? I wouldn't bend over backwards to get him in the world cup team, though I recognise his ability to hit a ball with a stick is to international standard.
Hales wasn't in the white ball squads for the last few years of Morgan's reign but Buttler brought him in for the T20 WC.

It wouldn't surprise me if he did the same for the ODI WC.

Having said that Roy has obviously not done himself any harm today but he's still under the microscope for me, he's been pretty poor since the last WC and 1 good knock doesn't change that.

grecian

Hales wasn't in the white ball squads for the last few years of Morgan's reign but Buttler brought him in for the T20 WC.

Having said that Roy has obviously not done himself any harm today but he's still under the microscope for me, he's been pretty poor since the last WC and 1 good knock doesn't change that.
but the fact Buttler kept with him, and Hales is not in the squad, rather suggest no-one in management is thinking of Hales in 50 over. Not played one since 2019, that's awhile. Batted at number 3.

Howe_zat

Audio File

My point is Hales has only ever played T20 lately. He hasn't played a 40 or 50 over game for anyone for years.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyway comms are acting like it's over, and you'd back England from here given how far ahead of the rate they are, but 90 still to get and Sam Curran is the next guy in

edit: I'm listening to Saf comms, ftr.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Poor from Mo - no need for that shot - we need less than a run a ball, just knock it around and hit the poor balls for 4

grecian

Not Gambhiring but think Saffie are faves here now, if one more person mentions Adil's 10 hundreds I may get a bit angry, it's not really relevant.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
David Willey is a fraud of a batsman whenever he wears an England shirt.

I have no idea how he has centuries opening the batting.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
We're making a right pigs ear of this chase by the relentless attacking attitude.

This game.was won.and we're throwing it away - just knock the ball around FFS - no need try and win it in 45 overs