• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa vs England (3 ODI):Jan 27-Feb 04, 2023 in SAfrica

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Looks a very different pitch now to the one in the first 10 overs.
Yes that is normal on cricket pitches where the bowlers aren't just expected to be spectators and have an opportunity to move the ball... hence the not throwing you bat at everything mindlessly and realizing how the cricket is played...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Partnership records I've my eye on -

4th wicket for England - 226, Strauss & Flintoff vs West Indies 2004
England away - also 226, Bopara & Morgan vs Ireland 2004
4th wicket for anyone away - 252, du Plessis & Miller for SA against Australia in Hobart, 2018

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes that is normal on cricket pitches where the bowlers aren't just expected to be spectators and have an opportunity to move the ball... hence the not throwing you bat at everything mindlessly and realizing how the cricket is played...
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure to pass it on to the current ODI and T20 world champions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Partnership records I've my eye on -

4th wicket for England - 226, Strauss & Flintoff vs West Indies 2004
England away - also 226, Bopara & Morgan vs Ireland 2004
4th wicket for anyone away - 252, du Plessis & Miller for SA against Australia in Hobart, 2018
2 down, 1 to go. Impressive from these two.

Molehill

International Captain
Or it was a tough pitch for 10 overs and then flattened out with some sun on it.

Still, from 40-3 after 15 overs to 245-3 25 overs later, that's an astonishing turnaround.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad Malan has done well, hopefully he has overtaken Roy for the WC openers slot, despite Roy's innings in the first game. Roy has obviously been fantastic in ODIs, but I'm not sure he's got another top-level tournament left in him.

Bairstow-Malan-Root looks a strong top order if Johnny recovers ok.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Shamsi, after being surprisingly good in both T20 and ODI for a long time, has just dropped of drastically in the last 12 months particularly in ODIs. You wonder if the international teams and cricket players have just worked him out and that is it really for him...

chris.hinton

International Captain
South Africa have fallen apart. An average attack and once England found their feet (Perhaps a little too late) we are getting 300 in over 30 overs. It's astonishing how good we can be if we do the basics right.