• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Career best figures for Dananjaya. Averaging close to 40 with the ball in ODIs before the South Africans arrived. Now it’s below 30.

Bahseph

State Captain
That was poor. But a nice wake up call. Third seamer option(Steyn, Dala) and who is going to be our spinner(Between Shamsi and Tahir imo) still up for grabs. Also the allrounder spot(Mulder, Phehlukwayo and Morris) and atleast one middle order spot(Klassen, Markram, Reeza). I'm assuming Miller still gets the gig. Lots of work to be done.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Another terrible batting performance....

That was poor. But a nice wake up call. Third seamer option(Steyn, Dala) and who is going to be our spinner(Between Shamsi and Tahir imo) still up for grabs. Also the allrounder spot(Mulder, Phehlukwayo and Morris) and atleast one middle order spot(Klassen, Markram, Reeza). I'm assuming Miller still gets the gig. Lots of work to be done.
So in other words after 5 more ODI's we have the same problem that we've had for the last 4 years with still no solution, but now we don't have ABdV and Morkel..... I suppose Duminy's performance has granted him a WC spot.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Huh ??

ESPNcricinfo Statsguru - South Africa - One-Day Internationals - Team analysis

I didnt need to look this up actually, but anyway...

The internet la la land
Indeed

Try this

Team records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Just added a qualification of 250 runs and even Ireland has a better win loss ratio chasing than South Africa

World Cup 92, 96, 03, 07, 11 - look up each of the matches South Africa were knocked out in.

They were chasing.

I am not surprised the notion that South Africa are a poor chasing side is not wide spread knowledge because the choking narrative dominates every conversation about South Africa's limited overs cricket.

I doubt even they themselves realize this.

Heboric

International Debutant
Indeed

Try this

Just added a qualification of 250 runs and even Ireland has a better win loss ratio chasing than South Africa

World Cup 92, 96, 03, 07, 11 - look up each of the matches South Africa were knocked out in.

They were chasing.

I am not surprised the notion that South Africa are a poor chasing side is not wide spread knowledge because the choking narrative dominates every conversation about South Africa's limited overs cricket.

I doubt even they themselves realize this.
My head is spinning by the moving goal posts.

One day I guess South Africa will have a chance to dine out one result that happened almost 30 years ago. So their supporters can hang on to that result even though their team is getting thrashed by all and sundry.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Change that 250 to 300 (which is what they were chasing in the game under discussion) and South Africa suddenly start looking excellent at chasing.

Change it to 275 and still South Africa are still doing quite well.
And if you change it to 400... :D

SeamUp

International Coach
Only positive I can take from this T20 now is Klaasen, Miller & Lucky scoring runs from this situation.

This could be Amla's last overseas game ever bar the WC. He doesn't look up for it.

SeamUp

International Coach
I hope this tour is reviewed. It has been shocking even though we won the ODI series. Comfort zones creeping in. Replacing McKenzie with Benkenstein for batting coach is seriously looking a bad move.

Bahseph

State Captain
Pollock absolutely befuddled on comms. Can't understand the thinking of the batsman. For all the potential that Phehlukwayo has with the bat, I'm yet to see him play a proper innings. It's either slog or out.

Bahseph

State Captain
I hope this tour is reviewed. It has been shocking even though we won the ODI series. Comfort zones creeping in. Replacing McKenzie with Benkenstein for batting coach is seriously looking a bad move.
Benkenstein making a joke about wanting some seamers on is so cringe. We know we can play seam, we need to improve against spin.

SeamUp

International Coach
Benkenstein making a joke about wanting some seamers on is so cringe. We know we can play seam, we need to improve against spin.
Ha yeah so cringe

"Positive mind-set"

There is also space to turn good balls into 1s on a pitch turning like this. This isn't a 180-200 pitch trying to hit spin.