• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

SeamUp

International Coach
So far Mulder hasn't done anything in this series to suggest that he's better than or even at par with Phehlukwayo.
Truth is. He has been picked too early and also he is a proper batsman so coming in and having to hit the ball immediately not his game yet.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Truth is. He has been picked too early and also he is a proper batsman so coming in and having to hit the ball immediately not his game yet.
Playing all 3 of Rabada-Ngidi-Steyn along with a spinner (Tahir) and allrounder (Phehlukwayo) may still be an option for the World Cup. That bowling attack looks too good on paper. I understand SA's obsession with playing 2 allrounders but most of the times this added batting is of no use, and when this added batting is needed in last 5 overs these guys (e.g. Mulder) don't show up.

Bahseph

State Captain
Reminds me a little of what England did to Stokes when he first debuted. Now I'm not saying that Mulder is going to be as good as Stokes, but if you watch him domestically he definitely is a batting allrounder. Probably needs to be top 5 to see the best of him but no chance of that now.

JP has been so good. He just looks carefree. Let's hope he keeps this form for the next year.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That was a bad defeat last night. South Africa batted like they were chasing 250 and as a result the game was pretty much won by Amla and JP by the 10th over but what followed should worry the management. Dumb batting and it’s the second gimme game Miller hasn’t been able to close out in the past year – see here. Miller seemingly has only one shot, cow corner slog, and if that isn’t indulged he doesn’t know what to do.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Reminds me a little of what England did to Stokes when he first debuted. Now I'm not saying that Mulder is going to be as good as Stokes, but if you watch him domestically he definitely is a batting allrounder. Probably needs to be top 5 to see the best of him but no chance of that now.

JP has been so good. He just looks carefree. Let's hope he keeps this form for the next year.
Real test for JP will come if and when the top order fails. Been given good platforms all series but that said there hasn’t been no scratching around from him and he has middled everything from the off. Bowled well last night as well. Shoo-in for man of the series.

I've also liked Mulder this series. Got some tap last night but thought he bowled well at stages, and he should be batting above Phehlukwayo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
That was a bad defeat last night. South Africa batted like they were chasing 250 and as a result the game was pretty much won by Amla and JP by the 10th over but what followed should worry the management. Dumb batting and it’s the second gimme game Miller hasn’t been able to close out in the past year – see here. Miller seemingly has only one shot, cow corner slog, and if that isn’t indulged he doesn’t know what to do.
Ya Miller is going the Maxwell way (not in terms of playing style or anything, but in terms of performances). Both play blinders once in a year, and 'almost useful' innings for the rest of the year.

Buttler is way ahead of those two as a finisher atm.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Mulder's domestic stats (both batting and bowling) suggest that he's better at the longer form of the game, so maybe his immediate international future lies with tests rather than ODIs. He may very well develop into a good limited overs player, but looking ahead to the World Cup, Morris might be the better option.

Bahseph

State Captain
You just don't know what you are going to get with Morris. And I think that's the problem. Although if Mulder doesn't come good by then he has to play. Andile Phehlukwayo at 7 is a nosebleed at the moment.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
To me it looks like while Mulder has the higher ceiling as a cricketer, especially with the bat, but Phehlukwayo is the better player at this point in time. One thing Andile has definitely got going for him is a good head under pressure, doesn't seem the type to get too flustered.

And Morris is far too hot and cold imo

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Think I mentioned it in the SA domestic thread, but should Steyn really be in contention for the WC? I've heard alot of talk from Steyn about wanting to be in involved, but nothing official from coaches or selectors. I love Dale, but it's time to move on from him in ODI's.

SeamUp

International Coach
Think I mentioned it in the SA domestic thread, but should Steyn really be in contention for the WC? I've heard alot of talk from Steyn about wanting to be in involved, but nothing official from coaches or selectors. I love Dale, but it's time to move on from him in ODI's.
It depends.

Otis has said that if he proves himself he is in the squad. For experience it may be required especially that we will need a 3rd strike bowler.

Its only a year away but it seems a lot to play for , for a few players.

Heboric

International Debutant
Maybe if Morkel was still around then one could start questioning Dales place. But him retiring should allow Steyn a chance

Bolo

State Captain
I wouldn't mind seeing rabada out and Steyn in for the next jamodi series. Rabada could probably still use the rest for tests and Steyn could use the practice. I'm not a huge fan of Steyn with the white ball, and I'm not sure if he deserves a spot, but he probably deserves a chance a look.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Don’t think South Africa are chasing this down. Wicket is getting slower and slower and they missed a trick not playing two front line spinners.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
This and the last game is a good reminder for South Africa they are nowhere near where they should be as a one-day side. Shouldn’t be chasing 300 on this wicket.