• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

Dendarii

International Debutant
There's a balance problem no matter what. Too many bits and pieces options. 10 overs from these 3 is probably a better solution than weakening the batting to the extent playing someone like Morris does. With all the best bowlers being weak with the bat, it's probably better to take the hit on the batting side.
I think chances of it happening aren't that great, but throwing out another suggestion - Philander might not be the worst option. He hasn't played an ODI for almost three years, but he's got a good record (home is better, but away's still decent), so you could play Mulder at seven and Philander at eight. That's four frontline bowlers, Mulder/Duminy/Markram to make up the fifth, and reasonable batting down to eight.

Fitness might be a concern, and he definitely wouldn't be long-term option beyond the World Cup. But there'll probably be a rebuilding process after that anyway, so just maybe worth considering.

Bolo

State Captain
I think chances of it happening aren't that great, but throwing out another suggestion - Philander might not be the worst option. He hasn't played an ODI for almost three years, but he's got a good record (home is better, but away's still decent), so you could play Mulder at seven and Philander at eight. That's four frontline bowlers, Mulder/Duminy/Markram to make up the fifth, and reasonable batting down to eight.

Fitness might be a concern, and he definitely wouldn't be long-term option beyond the World Cup. But there'll probably be a rebuilding process after that anyway, so just maybe worth considering.
I'm not sold on the idea of Philander. I think he would get some stick in ODIs these days as a bowler on pancakes. if he isn't managing to get movement slow line and length without bounce could be a bloodbath. A bowling allrounder is what the team really needs, but I also don't fancy his batting in ODIs- too much of a classical test bat.

Plus want to save him for tests.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Shows once again why Mathews should not be teh captain. Atrocious bowling changes, atrocious attitude towards game.

Not only Mathews, the selectors have got it all wrong. They have lumped the better players of spin at the top (Dickwella, Tharanga) and better players of pace at the middle (Mendis, DdS on the bench, Dhanushka Gunathilaka banned). SL needs a batsman who can play a long innings, albeit being slow, just to last that fifty overs. The only bowler who made an impression was Dhanajaya, who made SAF look foolish in the tests. Bring in Dilruwan!!

My XI would be;

Dimuth Karunarathne, Kusal Mendis, Dhanajaya de Silva, Kusal Perera+, Upul Tharanga, Angelo Mathews / Niroshan Dickwella, Thissara Perera, Dilruwan Perera, Akila Dhanjaya, Suranga Lakmal, Lahiru Kumara

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shambolic from Sri Lanka. Three dropped catches already, two absolute sitters and so many misfields.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
Is this going to be choke, choke!, choke!! all over again? SA need just 47 more, but with them, one never knows for sure.

Borges

International Regular
Right, the Saffers are almost home. Despite those quick wickets, with a fair degree of comfort too.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
JP has looked good so far this tour and Mulder the batsman looks more than alright. Not sure who looks worse out of Miller and Markram but there are enough games left for Klaasen to stake a claim.

SeamUp

International Coach
Miller might get one more chance to audition for a middle order spot but you got to wonder if he will even make the squad at all.

I think the reason Reeza Hendricks is in the squad is because of Hashim Amla's future...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Miller might get one more chance to audition for a middle order spot but you got to wonder if he will even make the squad at all.

I think the reason Reeza Hendricks is in the squad is because of Hashim Amla's future...
Millers future may depend on Klaasens finger issues? I am surprised that de Bruyn was not picked considering Markram could open a de Bruyn could play 3 in the ODI side. Reeza deserves his spot though.

Bahseph

State Captain
Think Reeza will be a better bet in the 50 over game instead of the 20. He only gets picked there because there is only space for him there. Miller doesn't give me confidence at 6. He can hit it a mile but spin and good pace bowling will get him.