• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka

dinu23

International Debutant
SL name 20 man squad

Rangana Herath and Marvan Atapattu have been named in Sri Lanka's 20-member squad for the Test series against South Africa and the tri-series involving India and South Africa in August. Jehan Mubarak and Nuwan Kulasekara are the only players from the squad that toured England in June to miss out.

Ashantha de Mel, the chairman of selectors, said that the squad of 20 was selected with the 2007 World Cup in mind. "We think this will be the nucleus of players from which the final 14 will be selected for the World Cup," said de Mel. "That is why we have included Atapattu even though he is not available for the Test and one-day series. There maybe a few changes to the squad as we go along."

de Mel said that in the absence of Atapattu, Mahela Jayawardene will be asked to continue as captain for the Test and one-day next month. "Marvan is recovering from a back operation and he is not likely to be fully fit until the Champions Trophy tournament in October. Mahela will be asked to continue until such time Marvan recovers."

Under Jayawardene, Sri Lanka drew the Test series in England 1-1 before winning the one-day series 5-0.

Squad: Sanath Jayasuriya, Upul Tharanga, Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Mahela Jayawardene (capt), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Russel Arnold, Marvan Atapattu, Michael Vandort, Thilan Samaraweera, Chamara Kapugedera, Farveez Maharoof, Chaminda Vaas, Ruchira Perera, Dilhara Fernando, Lasith Malinga, Malinga Bandara, Muttiah Muralitharan, Rangana Herath, Nuwan Zoysa, Prasanna Jayawardene

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Team (out of the 14 selected) I would select for the first test match… Batting looks weak.

H Dippenaar
AB de Villiers
H Gibbs
H Amla
A Prince
M Boucher
S Pollock
A Hall
N Boje
D Steyn
M Ntini

Was considering opening up with Andrew Hall, has done well in the subcontinent before but doubts remain about AB de Villiers and the prospect of him coming in against spin. Boje has to play, unfortunately but it is either him or Rudolph and Boje would probably score more runs than him anyhow.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Team (out of the 14 selected) I would select for the first test match… Batting looks weak.

H Dippenaar
AB de Villiers
H Gibbs
H Amla
A Prince
M Boucher
S Pollock
A Hall
N Boje
D Steyn
M Ntini

Wow, thats horrible. More to do with the squad and all the injuries rather than that actual team you have chosen. However, Boucher at 6 is scary and I think I would have Rudolph in there. Everyone is batting a place too high in the lower order.

Hall makes it difficult to figure out a line-up but a decision must be made as to what his role is and what is to be expected.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Wow, thats horrible. More to do with the squad and all the injuries rather than that actual team you have chosen. However, Boucher at 6 is scary and I think I would have Rudolph in there. Everyone is batting a place too high in the lower order.

Hall makes it difficult to figure out a line-up but a decision must be made as to what his role is and what is to be expected.
Wickets and runs I would guess. :)

Agree with your point regarding the state of the team but I would say there is at least five cricketers currently in Australia who are darn sight better than what was chosen for this tour. How Prince can be in the team let alone captain it, is beyond my intellect and Jacques Rudolph is so ordinary, even I fancy myself as a better batsman.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:

Perhaps Hall will open the batting again, which would deal with your point about the lower order.

btw I thought Pollock was injured, or did I just imagine that?

Craig

World Traveller
I would never have expected Ashwell Prince would be a captain.

Most unlikest Test captain among the top 8 or so teams, unlike the random selection thing-captain merry-go-around that is Zimbabwe.

Craig

World Traveller
Goughy said:
Hes a talented boy.

On a side note, (this is not addressed to you, Langers, but to others that may not know)
It is hard to judge the potential of a South African player by looking at his first class average. This is because the SAA Provincial Challenge is classed as FC cricket. They are generally called the 'Amateur' side and is the equivelent of English 2nd team cricket.

So when you look at a SA players first class stats you have no idea if they were for performances in the 1st team or 2nd teams and it makes it difficult to compare like to like.
Is it me or does that sound farcial?

I remember them saying something like about 3 or 4 years ago in a Test match in SA. How do you rate Dippenaar as an ODI player? Looks good enough to me.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Langeveldt said:
I'd have Hall opening the batting, and Dippenaar at 3, he's had some success in that role on the subcontinent..
Definitely Hall had some success in INDIA (not sure if its Kanpur or Nagpur), would be good if they opt with him for the opening slot..

For me i think Amla would have good tour..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Is it me or does that sound farcial?

I remember them saying something like about 3 or 4 years ago in a Test match in SA. How do you rate Dippenaar as an ODI player? Looks good enough to me.
I've always loved his perfect technique and his attitude at the crease, lovely bloke too.. Glad to see him flourishing in one form of the game at least.. Don't think he'll ever cut it as a test regular though

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
I've always loved his perfect technique and his attitude at the crease, lovely bloke too.. Glad to see him flourishing in one form of the game at least.. Don't think he'll ever cut it as a test regular though
Perfect for pitches with bounce and pace because the only good thing Boeta can do is go back. Whereas coming forward he looks very disconcerting.

Lostman

State Captain
SA doing well againt SL A, this performance will surely give them alot of confidence ahead of the 1st test. Any word on whether pollock is going to play the 1st test?

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Lostman said:
Any word on whether pollock is going to play the 1st test?
No, he won't. Polly's 2nd daughter was born on Friday morning and he's staying here until his wife leaves the hospital on Monday, so he won't be able to make it to Lanka before Thursday.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
This is the team I would like to see play in the 1st test.

1. Dippenaar
2. Gibbs - I still think its his best position
3. Amla
4. Rudolph
5. de Villiers
6. Prince
7. Boucher
8. Nel
9. Steyn
10. Ntini
11. Tshabalala

Im sorry, I like Boje but he is past his used by date. I think SL has some good pitches that will suit Tshabalala's spinning and a player needs nothing more than a good pitch to assit him when starting out his Test career. A good series will do him the world of good for starting his career.

:cool:

Lostman

State Captain
that fast bowling attack looks good even without Pollock. Also the SSC wicket has a lot in it for the fast bowlers during the 1st two sessions.