• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka 2014

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Fixture

1st ODI
Sri Lanka vs South Africa
R. Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
Jul 6, 2014 | 09:45 local | 04:15 GMT

2nd ODI
Pallekele Cricket Stadium, Kandy
Jul 9, 2014 | 14:30 local | 09:00 GMT

3rd ODI
Mahinda Rajapaksa International Stadium, Hambantota
Jul 12, 2014 | 09:45 local | 04:15 GMT

1st Test
Galle International Stadium, Galle
Jul 16, 2014 | 10:00 local | 04:30 GMT

2nd Test
Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo
Jul 24, 2014 | 10:00 local | 04:30 GMT

This one is starting really soon, and it should be a cracker of a series, SL having come off a 1-0 victory against England away from home and the world's no 2 team starting a transition after two key retirements in Kallis and Smith. Predicting a 1-0 win to Sri Lanka in the tests and 2-1 in the ODIs, always in with an excellent chance when Sanga is in this kind of form and the lack of quality spinner for SA could really hurt them

Riggins

International Captain
devilliers and amla are gonna make 1000 runs and probably have 1000 beers too (not amla though lol)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Gonna be an interesting selection process as far as the SL attack goes, suspect we'll go with two spinners for both tests in Herath and Dilruwan, leaving only two slots for pacers, one of which Eranga will surely fill, Lakmal (who was very good before his injury) Prasad (coming off that spell) and Pradeep will probably be the ones fighting it out for the second spot, seems like Kulasekara could well be out of contention for a while now.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know that South Africa don't have great spinners, but I'll be utterly amazed if Sri Lanka wins here.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Gonna be an interesting selection process as far as the SL attack goes, suspect we'll go with two spinners for both tests in Herath and Dilruwan, leaving only two slots for pacers, one of which Eranga will surely fill, Lakmal (who was very good before his injury) Prasad (coming off that spell) and Pradeep will probably be the ones fighting it out for the second spot, seems like Kulasekara could well be out of contention for a while now.
think you're right about Kula there mate and for mine, i reckon it will be Eranga and Lakmal(if fit), if not Prasad rather than Pradeep on our wickets..Hope Chandi continues to get a run in the team and that Thirri regains some confidence and scores heavily..Interesting to see if we will go three quicks at Pallekele as doesnt the ball swing a bit there, i havent been to that ground myself but will trythis summer if Pakistan have a game there(?) as I am there during the Pakistan tour(gutted to miss the SA tour)
Well done Maximas on another good thread btw..:thumbup:

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I would suspect we will go with three quicks for Pallekele, not only does it swing a bit but the pitch is quite fast and bouncy compared to the rest of the SC. I think Prasad and Eranga's ability to get that skiddy bounce and pace will probably be preffered over Lakmal, Pradeep's bang it into the pitch style will never be very successful in Sri Lanka one feels.

Also, I forgot to put 'official' in the thread title, can a mod pls fix that up? Cheers

Marius

International Debutant
This is going to be a good series I think.

1-1 may be the result we'll see.

Will be interesting to see what SA's tactics will be. Tahir will definitely play, the question is whether they'll take a chance on Piedt and have two spinners, or let Duminy fulfil the second spinner role.

So, my side for the first Test would be:

Petersen, Elgar, Amla, Du Plessis, De Villiers, Duminy, Van Zyl, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir.

Elgar and Du Plessis can also chip in with some overs of part-time spin, and Van Zyl also bowls decent seam-up.

De Kock could also be an option instead of Van Zyl and relieve AB of keeping duties. I don't know if that will happen on this tour, but I reckon within the next year.

viriya

International Captain
Brilliant writing by Firdose Moonda again.

According to JP Duminy South Africa 'has a point to prove'. More shockingly, they're looking to 'start well'.

How has she not been nominated for a Nobel Prize for Literature yet, or the Pulitzer, at the very least?

South Africa Cricket News: Point to prove in SL - Duminy | ESPN Cricinfo
I don't agree with the claim that SL prepared "raging turners" for SA when Murali was around. As I recall Murali got a 10-wkt haul in the same match that Mahela + Sanga ran up 624 - I don't think you can call that pitch a raging turner..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The tour game is today as well, a pretty strong looking board president's XI by the looks of it, Mubarak, Randiv, Chandimal, Thirimanne, Vithanage and Thisara Perera all in the squad

YorksLanka

International Debutant
yes i agree, bucking the trend of most countries of putting out a virtual 3rd xi for warm up games..pretty decent side and hoping that people will stand up with some good performances and make the selectors lives difficult...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Herath will have success like he has against everyone at home, and the pace attack will have some confidence after England, but a lot will depend on how the SA quicks go in these conditions and whether our batting line-up can cope, given we have a stronger opening partnership than we have had in a while and Sanga is in the form of his life I'm confident we will, but Tahir is the wildcard, he is absolutely crucial IMO, and I'm most worried about him doing well than any of the other bowlers, despite the quality of the pace attack. Amla and AB won't be push-overs on good batting tracks either, will be an excellent series I reckon

simonlee48

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Herath will have success like he has against everyone at home, and the pace attack will have some confidence after England, but a lot will depend on how the SA quicks go in these conditions and whether our batting line-up can cope, given we have a stronger opening partnership than we have had in a while and Sanga is in the form of his life I'm confident we will, but Tahir is the wildcard, he is absolutely crucial IMO, and I'm most worried about him doing well than any of the other bowlers, despite the quality of the pace attack. Amla and AB won't be push-overs on good batting tracks either, will be an excellent series I reckon
SA batting is surely few notches below than usual due to Smith and Kallis calling it a day. SA usually wins when Steyn fires otherwise they have not won any test recently. Tahir should do well in Asian conditions but then SL will play him a lot better than Pakistan. Pakistanis have a genuine problem against any leg spinner. This is my must watch series and thirst best in terms of anticipation after Ashes and Aus-SA series in recent years. Hopefully, we get good games. SL has been one of the tough place for SA team.

SL should be confident due to good performance by their pacers in UAE and Eng. Spinners will do well in SL. Batting looks more solid right now.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Amla showing class again and nearing a ton in the warm up game...fantastic player..seems a decent fella off the field too..

edited-scrap that, he has just got his ton..worrying form for SL..:blink:

Last edited: