• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Also makes me wonder if, like Howsie, they quietly don't really rate Blundell that highly and are hoping one of Phillips or Seifert does enough to leapfrog him.

IMO we'd be hard pressed to get a lower output from Blundell right now than Ronchi anyway*, so should just give Blundell a chance and if someone else overtakes him later, fine.

* though I do prefer Ronchi at 5 to Ronchi at 7, slightly.
That would be pretty questionable logic, picking Blundell then not rating him. But hey, Todd Astle. And I agree with the lower output thing, honestly we could pick an automatic wicketkeeper and get a similar runs output so whatever the future is, is fine by me. Not Luke Ronchi.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For what it's worth, Guptill's last seven ODI scores at Eden Park: 111, 66*, 11, 34, 82, 90 and 61.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Test squad:
Kane Williamson (c), Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Jeetan Patel, Tom Latham, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Jeet Raval, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Neil Wagner, BJ Watling

Neesham and Jeets back. Nicholls and CDG retained. Brownlie and Henry miss out.
Test squad named. Jeets and JimmyGS in, Brownlie and Henry out.

Cricket: Jeetan Patel, James Neesham recalled in test squad - Sport - NZ Herald News

Presumably its Raval, Latham, KW, Taylor, Nicholls, Neesham, Watling, Santner, Southee, Wagner, Boult
Thanks Bahnz :p

Lineup could be that, though CDG is still the incumbent over Neesham.

Pros of selecting Neesham over CDG:
- a better bet to score more runs

Cons:
- Could be dropping our second-best bowler :/

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
How has university oval played this season (radio sport said they have a new groundsman), went and watched Jeets highlights from the plunkett shield, appeared to be a fair bit of turn. Has that been consistent?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Let's get funky with selection.

Doctor the pitches so that they turn- then pick Neesham for Nicholls and Jeets for Southee. It's the team I'd like to see!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
How has university oval played this season (radio sport said they have a new groundsman), went and watched Jeets highlights from the plunkett shield, appeared to be a fair bit of turn. Has that been consistent?
The write-ups on their new groundsman have suggested he isn't quite as sanguine about seeing snore draws and frequently successful chases of 450+ in the 4th innings at Uni Oval, not to the degree Tom Tamati was.

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/new-groundsman-keen-give-bowlers-chance

https://www.odt.co.nz/sport/cricket/davies-baby-ready-its-big-test

I have seen a few balls at Uni Oval this season where the turn looked sharper and different. Well, one in particular.

_Ed_

Some very pessimistic-sounding weather reports on Cricinfo. Don't quite understand that - I'm working at Ellerslie racecourse, which is bathed in sunshine.

Zinzan

Well I'd have criticised KW for being defensive had he won the toss and fielded....so I suppose the same can be said for AB, get the feeling KW would have batted first.

Zinzan

Lol NZ's freakish coin toss loss % is continuing.... 5 in a row this series & interesting NZ haven't won a toss at Eden park in ODIs for over a decade now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to this.

Why do I even bother paying for Foxtel though? They're not even showing it. Off to reddit cricket then.

Pleased to see we're still playing both spinners.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to give Brownlie the kiss of death and say he's looked quite dangerous so far. Not in the 'my defense is impervious' kind of way, but instead more like 'I'm a bit average and am quite good at the play-and-miss, but if you bowl where I want I will hit you for four'.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez how much did Guptill miss that by? Could've driven a truck between the bat and ball.
I feel like this bowling has been a preview of Rabada opening up against us in the tests, which is probably why Guptill had no clue :happy: