• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
AB is batting 5 because Duminy struggles batting at 5/6 and tends to do better at 4. Silly but that is the way it is. Other issue is that SA have good top order batsmen domestically, but few finishers at 6 other than Behardien who has been pretty good in the finishing role generally..... but its Behardien.

SA keep getting into problems which AB has to get us out... but would the problems exist if AB came in at 4 rather than Duminy. He scores so quickly that he just takes pressure of the other batsmen...

But I can`t see anything changing at the moment.
That is silly. Your run scoring potential becomes 30-40 more with AB batting 10-15 more overs. And I imagine the rest of the guys would enjoy batting around him as well, takes pressure off them.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
To be fair to Southee, he has taken on a lot of the death bowling roles and has by-and-large bowled when it wasn't a good time to be bowling. He still should be dropped but I just wanted to point that out.
yeah I can forgive the ER because of that but to average over 50 while bowling a lot at the death is absolute ****.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Godly innings from Guptill and for mine certainly up there with such beauties as the Fleming 134 at Joburg, Cairns 102 at Nairobi et al.

I did think NZ winning and in such style overshadowed a questionable selection which I would hope is a one off. Of course it was discussed in the thread at the start of the match, but had NZ lost I think the management's decision to play Patel over Sodhi would have come much more into focus. Fair play to Jeets for doing his bit, but wow, what sort of a message does it send.
It was a ball spinning direction thing. I don't agree with it but I think that's what it was. Sodhi can rightly feel peeved, though. As can any number of wicketkeepers up and down the country, at Ronchi's inclusion. Hell, I feel peeved and I'm not even in the country. Nor am I a wicketkeeper.

Athlai

Not Terrible
AB on Guptill

"I've always rated him as a player, he's had to work through a few things," de Villiers said. "I was always hoping this day would never come, where he's figured out his game, playing it nice and late and he's moving well. I could sit here for quite some time and talk about that knock. It was a very special innings."

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
AB on Guptill

"I've always rated him as a player, he's had to work through a few things," de Villiers said. "I was always hoping this day would never come, where he's figured out his game, playing it nice and late and he's moving well. I could sit here for quite some time and talk about that knock. It was a very special innings."
Heh, such a lovely guy.

I think it's a fair indicator of how good his innings was that last night I almost started to entertain the idea of bringing him back into the test side.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill 4 Tests 4 Lyf
I think we're probably at the stage where it will be Brownlie and Guptill fighting it out for the vacant number 5 test slot. (I say vacant in the hope NZ cricket don't actually consider Nicholls to be anything close to an incumbent) .

As much of a Munro fan as I am, he seems to struggle with that ridiculously high-bat lift, attacking and cavalier attitude when the bowlers are anywhere near high quality.

I'm not at all opposed to Guptill getting another shot down the order For some reason I'd remembered him getting several chances at 5, but he's only actually had 6 innings there with 1 ton (admittedly vs. Bangers) and 2 50s

veganbob

U19 Captain
Good call to bring in patel. All this call of " what will happen to sodhi" . Way too much thinking. Its not a school team. The point it to put best players to win next match/ have chances for ct. Either way sodhis better off having played 2,games rather than none.

Brownlie must go. 27 average ,75 strike rate. Had enough chances.

Zinzan

Good call to bring in patel. All this call of " what will happen to sodhi" . Way too much thinking. Its not a school team. The point it to put best players to win next match/ have chances for ct. Either way sodhis better off having played 2,games rather than none.

That's all well & good assuming Patel is actually better. I know he got de Kock's wicket which was crucial, but overall was 2/57 off 10 any better than Sodhi would have done on that pretty dry and reasonable deck for spinners?

Personally I'd like to see all 3 spinners going to England just to cover all bases. There's was a decent argument to play all 3 spinners yesterday.

veganbob

U19 Captain
I did not say he was better, whatever we are doing with sodhi its working though. He has showed real improvement in the last couple of years. I think they wanted to have a look at both spinners and keep them in the loop. I hope we pick both in the ct squad ( and santner too obviously).

Zinzan

Also worth pointing out that Santner is officially our ODI Vettori replacement... In the last 12 months, 17 games 20 wicket @ 34 and brilliant ER of 4.34... superb

_Ed_

Also worth pointing out that Santner is officially our ODI Vettori replacement... In the last 12 months, 17 games 20 wicket @ 34 and brilliant ER of 4.34... superb
Yep, fantastic. Capable of better than he's been doing with the bat and in the field, but worth his place in the team for those bowling stats alone.

Zinzan

Yes Santner's ODI batting record averaging 27 with a SR of 90 is a little flattering & misleading. First the average is helped with a high number of not outs & secondly, a SR of 90 probably isn't good enough considering he typically comes in at number 7-8.

Personally I'd always bat CDG ahead of him assuming he plays.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
That's all well & good assuming Patel is actually better. I know he got de Kock's wicket which was crucial, but overall was 2/57 off 10 any better than Sodhi would have done on that pretty dry and reasonable deck for spinners?
Didn't see it yesterday, but it was apparently better than your bog-standard 2/57. I'd expect nothing less from Jeets.

Howsie

International Captain
Can somebody explain to me why Sodhi was dropped for Patel? Has clown Hewson explained this at all? Sodhi will never develop to his full pontential if he continues to be dropped every second game especially when he had done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Oh, and if Guptill and Hesson actually got on and he was one of the lads he would be playing this test series. I don't remember McCullum having to play domestic cricket in the middle order to get the number five spot. Absolute ****ing clown, yes let's just pretend Nicholls is a test cricketer instead.