• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

Woodster

International Captain
Interesting selection with both Gillespie and Arnel coming in. Pleased that Gillespie gets another go after more than three years in the Test wilderness.

Woodster

International Captain
Could be a vital toss won by Smith. If conditions are conducive to bit a bit of swing and this pitch is likely to flatten out after day one, NZ could be chasing this game from the very first session. Alternatively, if it does do a bit and they battle their way through a testing opening period they could gain appreciably in confidence.

Going to be very tough against Steyn, Vern and Morkel if there's some decent movement around. Good luck NZ.

Woodster

International Captain
Get the feeling Nicol's going to have to show plenty more of that courageous spirit he demonstrated in the second innings at Dunedin. Would imagine he's been getting the protective equipment on for the last 20 minutes!

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Boult dropped is a dire, dire decision. Howsie on suicide watch after both he and Southee were dumped.
Haha prob not far from the truth.

Surprised Boult was dropped - did anyone see this coming?

Suppose with us batting first, Martin will have an extra three sessions to get over his niggle.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Disappointed Boult has been dropped. He was rubbish in the first innings in Dunedin, but from what I could bare to watch of the second innings on that lifeless brown mud, he was second best bowler after Doug. Beat the bat relatively often and was unlucky.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointed Boult has been dropped. He was rubbish in the first innings in Dunedin, but from what I could bare to watch of the second innings on that lifeless brown mud, he was second best bowler after Doug. Beat the bat relatively often and was unlucky.
Yes and if anything was guilty of looking too hard for wickets in the first innings and was pitching it up looking for swing. Give him conditions where it will swing like Hamilton and he'll be far more effective.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
As for Arnel and Gillespie.

I am pleased for both of them and was finding it difficult to decide which one I preferred to replace Southee. Arnel has had a consistently good season while Gillespie has responded well after getting a mid-season rocket from coach & media (that he needed a rocket is another matter .....)

I watched a bit of Arnel bowling late on the 4th day at the Basin on Monday. He was lively, and looks a lot more fluid live than what I remember from him when watching on the telly.

But 4 right-armers, and a left-armer as 12th man. I don't get it, when they are all fairly even.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised SA chose to bat. Not able to watch this but if the description is early assistance for the bowlers followed by the wicket flattening out then that's usually bat-first material.

Woodster

International Captain
Think the overhead conditions may have added weight to what South Africa were already contemplating, ie bowl first up. Apparently the pitch was looking exceptionally green leading upto today, no real surprise there and no surprise that it is nowhere near as green as it did look.

Hasn't done too much off the deck so far but there has been some swing about. It looks far from impossible to bat on, but Nicol's just nicked one off Philander's typically excellent line.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Surprised SA chose to bat. Not able to watch this but if the description is early assistance for the bowlers followed by the wicket flattening out then that's usually bat-first material.
That's assuming one sides top order is not brittle and the bowling side doesn't have the best couple of bowlers in the world.

In the best of both worlds SA should be able to get a couple of NZ wickets in this session even if it is doing nothing.

There you go - he's gone.

Mike5181

International Captain
It was such a mistake leaving Daniel Flynn out of the squad for this test match. He could contribute more than Nicol easily.