• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Smith should declare imo. No point in prodding around until one of them goes, and India would rather not face 10 overs tonight.

Dissector

International Debutant
Actually that's a good point. India would probably prefer to start their innings tomorrow. From South Africa's point of view 8 or so overs with the new ball today and a newish ball tomorrow would be ideal. Give Steyn and Morkel four overs today and get them to go flat out. Wonder if Smith will do it though. They might prefer to waste overs with the tail-enders; after all they would be happy with a draw.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
India are the ones who need 20 wickets more. Why would Smith virtually gift them one by declaring now? They're better off batting on.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah no way. I would keep batting as both Parnell and Morkel aren't your typical number 11s. Remember in the First Test, India did bat for a few overs at the end of the day and nothing happened. Steyn and Morkel got the wickets early the next day.

SA just need a draw, so the longer they bat the better I think.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Actually that's a good point. India would probably prefer to start their innings tomorrow. From South Africa's point of view 8 or so overs with the new ball today and a newish ball tomorrow would be ideal. Give Steyn and Morkel four overs today and get them to go flat out. Wonder if Smith will do it though. They might prefer to waste overs with the tail-enders; after all they would be happy with a draw.
Not sure that an extra 10 - 20 runs will help them achive that objective though. Whereas taking a couple of wickets would certainly help them not lose. I'm thinking what would India least want to to? I'm with you that they'd rather start fresh tomorrow.

EDIT
Bad light stops play anyway - and presumably Smith knew that was a possibility even if he had considered sending India in.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
worked out pretty good for India... stumps called early.

Now they just need to get the last wicket quickly as possible tomorrow and hopefully bat for full day.

What a turn around.... looked like South Africa was going to score another 500+ scores.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm assuming there's no reviews for this test becuase Steyn looked to have a pretty meaty edge on the ball he was LBW to.

Great comeback from India tho, although only having caught the post-tea session it seems wrong calling it a comeback because they dominated the passages I saw.

Think JPD might've played his last test for a while too. Looks a talented kid and his ton versus Oz oozed class, but looks badly out of nick just now and with Peterson scoring a ton on debut it would be counter intuitive to leave him out when Boucher returns, especially considering Prince's travails opening.

masterblaster

International Captain
Great fightback by India. Not watching the game myself but before I logged off the score was like 150 with the loss of only one wicket. I thought that we were in for another long day bowling to Amla and Peterson but to India's credit they've bowled themselves into a competitive position. How has Mishra bowled this match? He must be under some pressure surely with Pragyan Ojha waiting in the wings.

Sir Alex

Banned
Well it was an exciting day of test cricket indeed. Apart from the on field stuff, it was actually the 35k strong crowd that made me so happy. Test cricket is alive and kicking esp in traditional centres like these. For the first 3 hours of the day it was all South Africa. India would pay through their nose to get a batsman like Amla, he looks born to bat in the subcontinent with all the associated frailties. Petersen impressed me with his attacking strokes and richly deserved his hundred. Only Zaheer impressed. He got the now customary Smith wicket early on, and looked the only one removedly looking to get a wicket. Harby, Mishra and Ish all looked completely flat. But then came the drinks interval of post lunch session and the match turned on its head, and how! Ish looked completely bouyed up and was targeting Amla's weakness against the short one. The intent was clear, Indians would not give up their ghosts without a fight. Then Zaheer got both the centurians with shorter stuff. But Kallis was still the wicket they were looking for, and a straight lofted 4 indeed suggested he had done away with his initial problems, but a rush of overconfidence against a Harby toppie brought his downfall. And suddenly Harby looked transformed, The famed loop was back so was the flight. Two identical lbws and a runout and India had broken the middle order. India should do well to restrict SA TO 275, and hope to buildup a 200-250 lead with about 7-8 sessions left and a dust bowl to let the spinners loose. Overall it was a great day of test cricket.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Badri to ton up and kick Yuvraj out of the test side tomorrow. Scratch that, hope he doesn't have to bat and Sehwag hits a double.

ret

International Debutant
Oh boy, what a performance by Ind! The first thing I did after waking up was chk the scorecard. I jumped in the air straight away seeing SA gone from 218/1 to 266/9

Zaheer once again set it up nicely by taking out the top order and guys who scored the runs. I saw the highlights and the dart thrower (Bhajji) bowled some beauties and more importantly with lots of commonsense. I read that Ishant bowled a good sell and Mishy picked up one too. If things had gone our way in the first one and a half sessions, we could have bundled out SA for less than 200

You need one bowler to stand up, do something out of ordinary and show the way. Though Ishant didn't pick up many wkts, I read he was the one that started it. And Zak brought the momentum to Ind by getting those set batsmen out. Playing Sree could have helped too as who knows he could have started something a little earlier, which is why you have to give yourself those option. If we fail despite that then fair enough and credit to the opposition

For SA, Petersen and Amla set it up nicely. A ton on debut is like a dream and Petersen will happy. Amla continued his good work. Read Laxman dropped a straight forward chance of his but full marks to him for reaching 3 figures

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
Would rather Badri bat, kicking out Yuvraj > Sehwag special in my books
Sehwag firing means a higher run rate and more time for Ind bowlers to bowl out SA > kicking Yuvi out as if he doesn't perform, he will go anyways. If he does perform then credit to him

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This is why Eden Gardens is the home of Indian cricket. Did you see the crowd? It was so awesome. No other Indian crowd is this good at a Test match.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sehwag firing means a higher run rate and more time for Ind bowlers to bowl out SA > kicking Yuvi out as if he doesn't perform, he will go anyways. If he does perform then credit to him
A lack of performance is not apparently one of the criteria used when it comes to Yuvraj Singh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great comeback from India!

South Africa look pretty damn long to me at 5.50 though. Still a long, long way to go, and if India fall behind they'll sooner lose the match than draw it.

ret

International Debutant
A lack of performance is not apparently one of the criteria used when it comes to Yuvraj Singh.
Yep, he is Dhoni's buddy! .... He will probably get more chances than some of the others but eventually it's his performance that will decide his fate. Vijay, Badri, Kohli and even the new kid on the block, Panday, are knocking pretty hard. Badri will have to make most of the opportunities that he gets