• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Would have said so until I watched a very good & recent docu on Shanghai couple of weeks back. As an economy, they're growing at a tremendous rate i.e their economic growth of around 10% even through the worst of the recession (between Oct08-Mar-09), but it's suggested that whilst the rich & existing middle-class are getting much wealthier & that their economy is booming, they still rely on what we'd label "slave labour" & very few of the poor are making the transition to middle class there.
Off-Topic…

China’s economic growth has been built on cheap, exploitable labour but things have changed since WTO entry in 2001. China is now gradually away from being the world’s shop floor towards high tech industry and servicing just like Japan did with its economic miracle. The Labour Contract Law of 2008 has increased labour costs in the manufacturing sector by 25 percent and the minimum wage whilst not being fully enforced does exist. Whereas, in 2008, over 15,000 factories were closed in the Pearl River Delta as production was moved to nearby Vietnam and Bangladesh where labour is far cheaper.

That said China’s middle class is diminutive; the majority of China’s population still live in the countryside and are extremely poor. Though not to the abject levels recorded in the Maoist period – as since economic reform and opening up, China in a decade brought more people out of abject poverty than India ever has which is a damning indictment on the world’s greatest democracy. China’s poverty alleviation has been so successful that they meet the goals of the UN for halving poverty reduction 14 years ahead of the UN’s target for the developing world as a whole.

Also in regard to GDP growth, whilst China is probably now the worlds second largest economy the actual growth by percent should be taking with a pinch of salt. Reported that during the late 1990s cooking the books was rampant and GDP growth was always 2 percent smaller than actually reported.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
^ Yeah I have been saying this for quite some time..that India's bowler are not as bad as people are making them out to be. But I am disappointed with Ishant's decline in pace...he looked so good in Australia 3 years ago..

And even if India manage to lose this series..they would still be the second best team in the world. Hey I would take that any day over number 7!
Not for long

Oz has a better pace attack than SA and a better spinner so the chances are that they'll sweep all before them for a while

Anyway, bottom line is that their is no clear cut no.1 but you respect the rankings and a few teams will have their time in the sun (unless India take the cowards way out and serve up a minefield, in which case it'll be India no.1 for a while but it'll be accompanied ny a massive * )

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, love how playing to your oppositions weaknesses is supposedly the cowards way out.

To paraphrase a tired old argument, SA will never be the #1 team in the world unless they learn to win on a proper spinners track.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, love how playing to your oppositions weaknesses is supposedly the cowards way out.

To paraphrase a tired old argument, SA will never be the #1 team in the world unless they learn to win on a proper spinners track.
India is one of the few countries that openly instructs groundsmen to prepare wickets to team orders when in trouble

Truly pathetic IMO

If they're not good enough to beat them on a level playing field then they are simply not good enough

G.I.Joe

International Coach
India is one of the few countries that openly instructs groundsmen to prepare wickets to team orders when in trouble

Truly pathetic IMO

If they're not good enough to beat them on a level playing field then they are simply not good enough
The flaw in your argument is that you seek to define the level playing field. The only reason a spinners track doesn't appear a level playing field is because SA lack the resources to exploit those conditions and cope. That is a deficiency SA have to address, not the hosts.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Truly pathetic IMO

To be fair, Indian pitches are generally slow and low at FC level. Their players are good on these pitches because Indian groundsmen always prepare them, not the other way round.

The only choice is between preparing a deteriorated one and preparing a flat one. And they're hardly going to prepare a flat one when they need to win. Just as England didn't during the Ashes. Although if I remember correctly you had a nice long moan about that too.

ret

International Debutant
Er...slight difference between India & China considering cricket's arguably been the no.1 sport in India for years now & is very rich in history.

Look, I'm not basing it purely on population, India have had a much higher population relative to other cricketing nations for donkeys years, but the difference now compared to the 70s,80s & even 90s is India now has one of the fastest growing middle-classes in the world & if you couple that with the fact that most of the money is generated for their TV audiences & their domestic players get to play with & against the best players in the world in a competition (IPL) that through the overseas quota rules which (rightly or wrongly) give more opportunity for both Indian international & domestic players that any country has, even if it is T20.

Hence why I think it'd be a bit of a concern if they don't get some absolute world-class bowlers coming through in the next 5-10 years.

You disagree with his?
I agree with the general statement that Ind needs 'better' bowlers. In fact it needs a good all-rounder too. What's important is that as a team Ind is 'test class' despite its short comings. I don't expect every team to be perfect but it would be nice to be perfect

I don't agree with the hypothesis and the use of word 'test class' bowlers. Also it depends up on what type of bowlers and batsmen (as you have to bowl to them) other teams come up with. So it's a relative question

I think you have applied 'madrassa logic' here to criticize Ind and create an unnecessary issue. First you took Ind's positives like rising economy and more money flowing in to cricket. 2nd you took an unnecessary shot at Ind's bowlers by trying to call them not 'test class'. 3rd, you tried to create an equation where it would be a concern if Ind's positives didn't overcome Ind's negative in near future. In a way trying to imply that 'haha, depite this they can't/won't do that'

I can apply such Madrassa logic to Pak and say depite having a huge population than countries like Aus, SA, it can't produce world class batsmen or fielders. Even their bowlers struggle when bowling to good batting sides unless conditions favor them. And that's not all even get white washed by a comparitively weak Australian side and that have to resort to biting the ball. (Btw, I think 'biting the ball' is a good expression to describe a player doing something illegal in his desperation to win.) So would it be a concern, if Pak depite its huge population (and blah blah), it fails to come up with a 'world class test' team in next 5-10 years?

Do you disagree?

(It's obvious there is nothing to disagree here as every team would want to be test class (and Pak is not one at the momet) but see I took a pot shot at Pak in the name of trying to create a concern. Let's keep such logic to the Ghetto forum: Pak Passion)

Last edited:

Truly pathetic IMO

The pitch somehow changes midway through an innings??? :ph34r: Or is Ponting's average of 20 odd in India the cause for your irrational outburst? No one complains when Australia prepare pitches to suit their bowlers.

Would have said so until I watched a very good & recent docu on Shanghai couple of weeks back. As an economy, they're growing at a tremendous rate i.e their economic growth of around 10% even through the worst of the recession (between Oct08-Mar-09), but it's suggested that whilst the rich & existing middle-class are getting much wealthier & that their economy is booming, they still rely on what we'd label "slave labour" & very few of the poor are making the transition to middle class there.
And this is relevant to the thread? I am glad India's bowlers don't pump their arses with steroids and bite the ball pretending to smell it. Nor do Indian bowlers have to use bottle caps like the great Imran Khan to tamper the ball. Oh I forgot - they aren't filthy match fixers like your Wasim Akram either.There are probably many LeT and Al Qaeda websites waiting for you....

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not for long

Oz has a better pace attack than SA and a better spinner so the chances are that they'll sweep all before them for a while

Anyway, bottom line is that their is no clear cut no.1 but you respect the rankings and a few teams will have their time in the sun (unless India take the cowards way out and serve up a minefield, in which case it'll be India no.1 for a while but it'll be accompanied ny a massive * )
yeah... coz playing spin is not part of cricket.. 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And this is relevant to the thread? I am glad India's bowlers don't pump their arses with steroids and bite the ball pretending to smell it. Nor do Indian bowlers have to use bottle caps like the great Imran Khan to tamper the ball. Oh I forgot - they aren't filthy match fixers like your Wasim Akram either.There are probably many LeT and Al Qaeda websites waiting for you....
totally uncalled for and generally stupid post... Pakistan have had much MUCH better bowlers than us for a very long time.. Imran and Wasim are geniuses of the game... No need to rubbish their names like this when it has never been conclusively proved about their alleged ball tampering and match fixing...

Shri

Mr. Glass
Md. Azharuddin sayz hi.

totally uncalled for and generally stupid post... Pakistan have had much MUCH better bowlers than us for a very long time.. Imran and Wasim are geniuses of the game... No need to rubbish their names like this when it has never been conclusively proved about their alleged ball tampering and match fixing...
In 1994, Khan had admitted that, during Test matches, he "occasionally scratched the side of the ball and lifted the seam." He had also added, "Only once did I use an object. When Sussex were playing Hampshire in 1981 the ball was not deviating at all. I got the 12th man to bring out a bottle top and it started to move around a lot."[18]

Imran Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you want to say he is a liar? :huh:

Waqar Younis has been banned for ball tampering, Akhtar also has. Asif is a drug cheat - wait Akhtar is too.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
You irate son?
This aint indiancricketfans.com.
That type of bigotry may be tolerated there but not here.
Calm down bro,just calm down

L Trumper

State Regular
In 1994, Khan had admitted that, during Test matches, he "occasionally scratched the side of the ball and lifted the seam." He had also added, "Only once did I use an object. When Sussex were playing Hampshire in 1981 the ball was not deviating at all. I got the 12th man to bring out a bottle top and it started to move around a lot."[18]

Imran Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So you want to say he is a liar? :huh:

Waqar Younis has been banned for ball tampering, Akhtar also has. Asif is a drug cheat - wait Akhtar is too.
Pakistan always had better pacers than india. And calling imran, wasim et al as cheaters is as stupid as one can get. Ball tampering is not the biggest crime in cricketing world.
Even indians are not sacred players either, match fixing did happen in india too.