• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

ret

International Debutant
Yup, my guess is their current group of bowlers aren't good enough to see them sustain the no 1 spot for a long period. The fact they have both a higher population & more money (in the game) than the rest of the cricketing world put together would suggest they should have a group of 'top class' test bowlers come through in the next 5 years or so, if not, it's a bit of a worry tbh.
Interesting hypothesis! So I guess China could unearth/develop a 'test class' team too if it gets serious abt cricket. I guess population and money is not an issue there

Last edited:

L Trumper

State Regular
Interesting hypothesis! So I guess China could unearth/develop a 'test class' team too if it gets serious abt cricket. I guess population and money is not an issue there
They could. But it'll take a lot more time atleast 15 to 20 years. They out did US in olympics.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Er...slight difference between India & China considering cricket's arguably been the no.1 sport in India for years now & is very rich in history.

Look, I'm not basing it purely on population, India have had a much higher population relative to other cricketing nations for donkeys years, but the difference now compared to the 70s,80s & even 90s is India now has one of the fastest growing middle-classes in the world & if you couple that with the fact that most of the money is generated for their TV audiences & their domestic players get to play with & against the best players in the world in a competition (IPL) that through the overseas quota rules which (rightly or wrongly) give more opportunity for both Indian international & domestic players that any country has, even if it is T20.

Hence why I think it'd be a bit of a concern if they don't get some absolute world-class bowlers coming through in the next 5-10 years.

You disagree with his?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Er...slight difference between India & China considering cricket's arguably been the no.1 sport in India for years now & is very rich in history.

Look, I'm not basing it purely on population, India have had a much higher population relative to other cricketing nations for donkeys years, but the difference now compared to the 70s,80s & even 90s is India now has one of the fastest growing middle-classes in the world & if you couple that with the fact that most of the money is generated for their TV audiences & their domestic players get to play with & against the best players in the world in a competition (IPL) that through the overseas quota rules which (rightly or wrongly) give more opportunity for both Indian international & domestic players that any country has, even if it is T20.

Hence why I think it'd be a bit of a concern if they don't get some sort of absolute world-class bowlers coming through in the next 5-10 years.

You disagree with his?
Conversely doesn't China have the fastest growing middle class in the world?
Still you have to be interested in cricket in the first place...

Zinzan

Helps having 4x the population and having insane child-abusing sport academies :p.
Haha, funny thing is India's population's not far of China these days,since China's 1-child policy the 80s. Latest stats suggest China 1.33 Billion vs India 1.15 B, then daylight to the USA in 3rd place with a mere 307 M.

Zinzan

Conversely doesn't China have the fastest growing middle class in the world?
Still you have to be interested in cricket in the first place...
Would have said so until I watched a very good & recent docu on Shanghai couple of weeks back. As an economy, they're growing at a tremendous rate i.e their economic growth of around 10% even through the worst of the recession (between Oct08-Mar-09), but it's suggested that whilst the rich & existing middle-class are getting much wealthier & that their economy is booming, they still rely on what we'd label "slave labour" & very few of the poor are making the transition to middle class there.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Even though they failed to win their previous series?

Yes because

South Africa beat Australia in Austraila, India - fail
India beat Australia at home, South Africa - fail

so they cancel each other out.

South Africa won in England, drew at home
India won in England, won at home
India on top

South Africa beat India at home, beat India away (if they do in this one)
India, lost both

South Africa by a margin for me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bit late but great win. Definitely one of the best since readmission given the conditions and build up to the series, anything from now on is a bonus.

Thought Parnell was fantastic yesterday, still struggling with line but good to see he can operate from around the wicket and swing the ball both ways.
lol.. seriously pessimistic there.. This is a fantastic team for these conditions, esp. the bowling attack.. Parnell doesn't seem like he is there yet but the rest are really really good and well suited for these conditions... And the batting is good too... The only real problem could be that apart from AB and maybe Smith, the rest don't seem to be naturally positive... Apart from that, this is a very good side and with India weakened as it is, you won't get a better chance to go 2-0 against us in the foreseeable future, AFAIC...

Sir Alex

Banned
Haha time out guys. Interesting but totally ridiculous points.

So India did exactly what? Lose a test (a test, not the series, not yet) against World No.2 (officially) side. And that too an India that went the last 17 months without a single test match loss albeit having played almost all the top nations, Australia, Sri Lanka, New Zealand etc.

People are conveniently forgetting the XI that lost the last test match "boasted" of at best 70% efficiency, be it due to injuries or selection stupidities. Losing Laxman, Dravid can be hurting like losing Ponting & Hussey or Smith and Kallis, and absence of Yuvraj, for all his weaknesses, can be hurting especially when the replacement is someone like Saha who is 10 times inferior to him.

No, I am not suggesting India could have won the first test match with even Laxman, Yuvraj or Dravid, not with the pathetic bowling display, but the reason for the failure is NOT because our pacers were horrible. Actually our pacers did what's expected out of them, by reducing SA to 6-2 in the first 30 minutes of play, but due to our much heralded spinners looking completely out of depth.

And a massive :lol: at guys suggesting India, for it's blah blah population, blah blah money etc have not been able to "unearth" fast bowlers. Well?? The fact that without such "fast" bowlers, if we could attain the no.1 rank, surely how is that "disappointing"? Secondly, why the blind thought we have "dire" fast bowlers? Zaheer, Ishant and Sreesanth, for all the flak they get, and despite having to perform majority of their careers on soul drenching Indian surfaces, have done better than an Anderson/Broad or the NZ lineup without Bond, or the West Indies pace battery, and I guess is currently bettered by only Australian, South African and perhaps Pakistani pace lineup.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ Yeah I have been saying this for quite some time..that India's bowler are not as bad as people are making them out to be. But I am disappointed with Ishant's decline in pace...he looked so good in Australia 3 years ago..

And even if India manage to lose this series..they would still be the second best team in the world. Hey I would take that any day over number 7!

Sir Alex

Banned

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
India likely to make 2 changes for Kolkata Test- TIMESNOW.tv - Latest Breaking News, Big News Stories, News Videos

Sources have confirmed to TIMES NOW that changes are expected in the Indian side which will take on South Africa in the second Test in Kolkata which begins from 14th February. S badrinath will retain his place in the playing eleven and now fully fit VVS Laxman and Sreesanth will make a comeback.

Meanwhile, Suresh Raina will have to wait to make his Test debut.
lol.. juz out of curiosity, why was it even considered that Badrinath will not retain his place???

Yes because

South Africa beat Australia in Austraila, India - fail
India beat Australia at home, South Africa - fail

so they cancel each other out.

South Africa won in England, drew at home
India won in England, won at home
India on top

South Africa beat India at home, beat India away (if they do in this one)
India, lost both

South Africa by a margin for me.

What if India draw the series ?

pasag

RTDAS
Hopefully Badri gets as long as Yuvi did to prove his worth and hopefully he's not going to spend his career one bad match away from an axing. But I wouldn't count on it.