• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India, Sep/Oct 2019

ishqiya

School Boy/Girl Captain
My point is that Indian likely won't be anywhere near as dominant away as they are at home. I never said India were weak away. I said they'd start off as underdogs in certain countries (SENA). Only the truly atg teams are dominant away. India currently is great at home, very good away. Don't see that changing much in the near future but of course I could be wrong....
I think they will. Right now I believe the team is like Aus 98-99 or therabouts. They still hadnt won in SL or Ind and had drawn in WI. At the turn of the century Martyn, Langer, Hayden replaced Taylor, Slater et al and kicked it into the next gear. For India I believe it is the emergence of the pacers which is similar. Vihari, Agarwal etc might also be the guys who raise the team to the next level.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Say what you want about Kohli but he sets and demands high standards. As long as he is captain, the team's fitness levels will be pretty good and the fast bowlers will flourish. Hope we don't go back to a defensive Dhoni-style captain after he leaves.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My point is that Indian likely won't be anywhere near as dominant away as they are at home. I never said India were weak away. I said they'd start off as underdogs in certain countries (SENA). Only the truly atg teams are dominant away. India currently is great at home, very good away. Don't see that changing much in the near future but of course I could be wrong....
You think India would start as underdogs in SA, after they lost at home to SL? I don’t think they’d be underdogs in New Zealand either.

And India just won away in Aus - I’m not convinced that they’d start off as underdogs if they were to go there next month.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Say what you want about Kohli but he sets and demands high standards. As long as he is captain, the team's fitness levels will be pretty good and the fast bowlers will flourish. Hope we don't go back to a defensive Dhoni-style captain after he leaves.
Yeah he is an amazing captain. This 5 bowler strategy I don’t think any other previous captain had balls to consistently try it.

Mind you it can backfire too. Current Indian lot apart from Pujara aren’t in the same league at playing spin compared to their 90s counterparts. Luckily for them, touring sides don’t have top class spin bowling. But still, he is a risk taker and heavily involved into team selections. And also maintains high energy on the field.

Definitely someone to lead all time India Xi.

Chrish

International Debutant
Reckon NZ would beat India if they were to tour New Zealand tbh..

India lost heavily in England and I think NZ side in NZ is superior to Eng in Eng.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
You think India would start as underdogs in SA, after they lost at home to SL? I don’t think they’d be underdogs in New Zealand either.

And India just won away in Aus - I’m not convinced that they’d start off as underdogs if they were to go there next month.
So u think India will start off as favorites in rsa , nz and Australia (at full strength)?? India thrashed rsa similarly a few years ago at home and got beat in the follow up. No team outside of Australia would be favorites to win in NZ. As for Australia, we'll see in a few months. But nobody was really surprised that India won the last test series, two of their most important players were missing....Smith is and hungry as ever and since we're comparing team results oz drew in England where india got smashed 4-1.

Slifer

International Captain
Agreed but I still don't see the likes of rohit and jadeja etc doing with the bat what they did at home. Philander hate him or love him, is a much different beast on home tracks. As bad as rsa batting is , my gut tells me they'll put up just enough runs and then unleash on the indian batting.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, if I had to bet money on Ind vs NZ in NZ, I wold bet on India. Better bowling attack. Similar batting.

OverratedSanity

Hypothetical series results pulled out of my arse. If they were to be played at full strength (so assuming bumrah is available) :

In Aus : Smith scores 900 runs and Australia win easily, but India probably nick a dead rubber and it finishes 3-1

In Eng : Highly competitive 3-2 loss or 2-2 draw. England deserved to win last year but 4-1 wasnt reflective of the play throughout the series. Certainly the most competitive thrashing I've ever seen. Plus India didn't have bumrah for two tests.

In SA: The way the two sides are now, I really think SA would have to pull something out of the hat to win. India should've won the series last year anyway.

In nz: NZ only do 2 test series so I can see India winning one if they win a good toss. A longer series would probably favour NZ imo, because they're seriously strong.

In SL, WI, BAN, UAE: India win with their eyes closed.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I believe India winning or losing in Aus, NZ, Eng or SA is heavily dependent on toss. Iirc, Virat has never lost a test match when he has won the toss, home or abroad.

At home, it is a different scenario though. This team is crushing all comers regardless of toss outcome.

vcs

India were just a couple of botched 4th innings chases away from an extremely good overseas cycle last time... just takes one blinder of an innings or a couple of decent partnerships to pull off one or two of those 200-250 type chases.

They're miles better in unfamiliar conditions than the other teams right now, that's for sure. Consistently bowled opposition out and were very much in contention for long periods of Test matches.

Slifer

International Captain
The following teams should never be made to play two test series especially when playing against each other: England, Australia, India, South Africa and current NZ. Wi should play 2 tests away to all other teams not named England. At home, at least 3 tests vs teams other than India and Australia. SL at home more than 2 tests vs all except india and away 2 tests except in WI . I loathe 2 test series....