• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It would be cool to see RSA field all 4 pacers against England in their home series later this year and leave the spin duties to the trio of Duminy, Elgar and Faf. All 3 varieties of spin covered in their top 6. Amazing.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dropping Philander for the spin combo of Tahir and Piedt is the only thing that doesn't sound overtly stupid. Very, very risky though.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Philander will be fine. I expect him to do well. He bowled way better than his figures suggested in SL, and was good in UAE too.

Marius

International Debutant
Dropping Philander for the spin combo of Tahir and Piedt is the only thing that doesn't sound overtly stupid. Very, very risky though.
Yeah, I'm not sure it's a good idea.

As I said, SA has won in India with only one spinner - we can do it again.

And to be honest, although I like Tahir, he is dire in Tests. He should only play if they're playing on a real snakepit.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be cool to see RSA field all 4 pacers against England in their home series later this year and leave the spin duties to the trio of Duminy, Elgar and Faf. All 3 varieties of spin covered in their top 6. Amazing.
Add to it the right arm mediums of van Zyl and ABD. Just a left arm medium pace bowler missing. ABD can do that if needed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Except for when he isn't you mean? I'd not expect him to make a big impact in this series to be honest, even if he was coming off a good recent run of form. His last 2 years are anything but that.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Good debating point, Philander. He pitches the ball accurately and it results in wickets. Had a poor 2014 but the 3 tests in 2015, he has brought he economy back to how it used to be. If he can keep it in the right spots, he will trouble the Indian batsmen a fair bit, as a few of them (Kohli, Sharma, even Rahane) tend to poke at balls outside off.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
But in those 3 matches (against easier opposition than India at home) he only took 2 wickets
I agree his control was there again, but the wickets weren't coming to him.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In the last series in Bangladesh, he bowled far better than Morkel did. In the first test, he took 2 wickets while Steyn and Harmer took 3 each. Steyn was more expensive. Just the one inning in the first test. In the second test, he didn't take wickets but bowled economically in 11 overs (just the one inning again). He was fine, I would say.

OverratedSanity

Pratters makes a good point about Kohli and Rahane's off stump airy-fairiness being ideal for Philander to exploit. They handled him brilliantly in SA, but I think he can do well.

Gonna stick my neck out and say Philander will do way better than expected and Steyn will average 40+ with the ball.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never rated Philander all that highly, and I honestly don't expect him to be a force on this tour, if India do funky **** with their batting order than I can't really say, but if senses prevail and India bat their best top 6 I don't see any reason for them to struggle against Philander.

Gavaskar

Cricket Spectator
If you think about it other than amla and devilliers the rest of south african batsman haven't done much in asian conditions yet. It will be interesting to see how well they play mishra and ashwin.

I hope BK plays the first match and scores some runs so that the team will play him as an all rounder rather than bhajji or binny. Then India will actually be using a legit 5 bowler strategy. Binny is a solid part timer at best. Although he has been pretty useful so far tbh.

OverratedSanity

I need to bring back the #SteynAverageTracker which I used in the SA tour of 2013. It went up to 250 at one point.