• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No he does not, but for someone who is 11 years younger, he does a pretty decent job of maintaining a decent line and length throughout. Yes hes not close to Clark yet, but there are few bowlers his age capable of bowling with the kind of accuracy that he is bowling at the moment. He is probably playing test match cricket well before he is ready, but there is obvious potential for the future.
True, it was a response to something Richard had said earlier about Smith vs. Broad being a pure test of patience. Standing alone, it does seem a rather ridiculous comparison :laugh:

I would certainly keep Broad playing county cricket until he can get in the test team on merit. It worked for players like Stuart Clark and Mike Hussey. Right now, i think Chris Tremlett is more of a threat to quality batsmen.

tooextracool

International Coach
Classic that :)
Panesar does occasionally beat batsmen in the flight, more often than i have seen Harris do so anyway. Harris in India appeared unable to turn a ball at all, even on the third-test pitch doctored to precisely that ends.
Harris is similar to Giles in my book. Doesnt turn the ball loads, but when the pitch is in his favor turns it enough to be a threat. Panesar has the longer fingers to turn the ball more, but he always bowls at exactly the same pace(about 87ks). There is little variation. Ok so I can understand that as a spinner you need to be persistent and all of that, but a little variation in pace, flight etc is always a good thing. Vettori does it, Giles did it consistently as well. Panesar has the potential to be a much better bowler but he needs to work on tossing the ball up a bit more. It is the reason why he failed in ODIs when he got the chance and its also the reason why he has never got a single stumping in test match cricket (nor is likely to anytime in the near future)

It's a perfectly viable question, all I was saying is that he might deserve a chance considering how well he's performed with the bat over the past year. The batting lineup needs a shakeup of sorts, and unlike many of the other potential solutions, he has test match experience and has done rather well. It would be utterly ridiculous to recall Bopara in his place given their respective performances in Sri Lanka. Were you to drop Bell, who would you pick instead?
Well until about May I would have suggested Ramprakash but Ramps under all the pressure of getting his 100th 100 has ended up returning to his former un-glory days of failing under pressure. At this point in time, I would prefer Shah to get his long deserved chance, although I am not sure he would succeed. Rob Key would be another option. In the future though, as I have suggested in another thread Id like Flintoff to replace a batsmen and bat at number 7 with a keeper at 6.

tooextracool

International Coach
I would certainly keep Broad playing county cricket until he can get in the test team on merit. It worked for players like Stuart Clark and Mike Hussey. Right now, i think Chris Tremlett is more of a threat to quality batsmen.
Sadly, until Jones and Flintoff (or Tremlett regains his best form) are fully match-fit, he is the best option at this point. Having Hoggard, Sidebottom and Anderson for example in the same side is a recipe for disaster in non-swinging conditions.

tooextracool

International Coach
All that is true, and it was actually what I was trying to allude to - I didn't, perhaps, phrase the post as I meant.

All these batsmen are people who have in the past performed at Test level, and people who I don't doubt can do so again. But none of them (Pietersen is the closest, Strauss next) are batsmen I feel especially confident in at the current time.

However, all of this can change in little more than the blink of an eyelid, and given the regularity that England players have stepped-up their game against SA in the last couple of series, it wouldn't overtly surprise me if it happened now. Note: I'm not saying it will, just that it wouldn't surprise me.
That may very well happen as there is plenty of talent in that England top 6. Its unfortunate however how all of them have been under performing for well over a year now.

Uppercut

Harris is similar to Giles in my book. Doesnt turn the ball loads, but when the pitch is in his favor turns it enough to be a threat. Panesar has the longer fingers to turn the ball more, but he always bowls at exactly the same pace(about 87ks). There is little variation. Ok so I can understand that as a spinner you need to be persistent and all of that, but a little variation in pace, flight etc is always a good thing. Vettori does it, Giles did it consistently as well. Panesar has the potential to be a much better bowler but he needs to work on tossing the ball up a bit more. It is the reason why he failed in ODIs when he got the chance and its also the reason why he has never got a single stumping in test match cricket (nor is likely to anytime in the near future)

Well until about May I would have suggested Ramprakash but Ramps under all the pressure of getting his 100th 100 has ended up returning to his former un-glory days of failing under pressure. At this point in time, I would prefer Shah to get his long deserved chance, although I am not sure he would succeed. Rob Key would be another option. In the future though, as I have suggested in another thread Id like Flintoff to replace a batsmen and bat at number 7 with a keeper at 6.
I would suggest that another reason Panesar never gets stumpings is that his pace makes it impractical to regularly come down the pitch at him.

Rob Key is someone who has already had a prolonged run in the test team and failed, Prior is someone who only got a short run and succeeded (with the bat). Its also worth noting that Key isn't scoring nearly as many runs as Prior in county cricket at the moment. As for Shah, i've thought of him as a poor batsman for so long i can barely remember why. He's been on the fringes for so long, i suppose he's overdue a chance, but i can't see him succeeding.

tooextracool

International Coach
I would suggest that another reason Panesar never gets stumpings is that his pace makes it impractical to regularly come down the pitch at him.
Well that is exactly the point though. He bowls too flat. You cant really bowl quick as well as flight the ball, those are inherent contradictions.

Rob Key is someone who has already had a prolonged run in the test team and failed, Prior is someone who only got a short run and succeeded (with the bat). Its also worth noting that Key isn't scoring nearly as many runs as Prior in county cricket at the moment. As for Shah, i've thought of him as a poor batsman for so long i can barely remember why. He's been on the fringes for so long, i suppose he's overdue a chance, but i can't see him succeeding.
Did Rob Key really fail though? He was the pick of the batsmen against the WI in his most recent stint and while he didnt do great things in the series against SA, he didnt even play out the whole series. His 83 in the series was an excellent performance and he was playing brilliantly until he danced down the track against Boje in the first test for his 41. I dont think he was proven conclusively to be not good enough, and 2 bad tests against SA and one good one wont change that.

Uppercut

Well that is exactly the point though. He bowls too flat. You cant really bowl quick as well as flight the ball, those are inherent contradictions.

Did Rob Key really fail though? He was the pick of the batsmen against the WI in his most recent stint and while he didnt do great things in the series against SA, he didnt even play out the whole series. His 83 in the series was an excellent performance and he was playing brilliantly until he danced down the track against Boje in the first test for his 41. I dont think he was proven conclusively to be not good enough, and 2 bad tests against SA and one good one wont change that.
He still only averaged 31. There's truth in what you say, and Key has said previously that he feels he was dropped just when he felt he was getting to terms with test cricket. But unlike Prior, he's not doing especially well in county cricket at the moment. So there is a case to recall Key, it's just that i feel the case for Prior is more convincing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Anderson manages to bowl outswingers somewhat frequently into Smith's pads, I dont see him scoring any runs this series.
Maybe so. That's quite some if, though, for my money, given that Anderson is not massively better than he was in 2003 and could do virtually nothing of the sort that series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maybe so. That's quite some if, though, for my money, given that Anderson is not massively better than he was in 2003 and could do virtually nothing of the sort that series.
Just out of interest, given how much you harp on about it regarding other English summers(:p), what were the balls like in 2003? Did they offer much swing to anyone? I think I remember a pretty useful spell of swing bowling by Kallis in that series actually, but I don't remember anyone doing it consistently.

As regarding Anderson, too, one thing he's certainly improved on in recent times in making sure he takes advantage when conditions suit. When conditions don't suit him he can vary from decent to absolutely pathetic but I can't remember the last time the ball was swinging consistently for him/other bowlers in a Test and he completely wasted it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Just out of interest, given how much you harp on about it regarding other English summers(:p), what were the balls like in 2003? Did they offer much swing to anyone? I think I remember a pretty useful spell of swing bowling by Kallis in that series actually, but I don't remember anyone doing it consistently.
The ball swung for pretty much everyone at Headingly. Bicknell was essentially selected for that reason and that was the same ground at which Kallis managed a 6fer. For the rest of the series though there was no swing, just some up and down wickets and occasional seam movement. Bicknell of course was the only one who managed to somehwat swing the cherry at the Oval IIRC.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The ball swung for pretty much everyone at Headingly. Bicknell was essentially selected for that reason and that was the same ground at which Kallis managed a 6fer. For the rest of the series though there was no swing, just some up and down wickets and occasional seam movement. Bicknell of course was the only one who managed to somehwat swing the cherry at the Oval IIRC.
To be fair, Martin Bicknell could swing a brick.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tbf he also bowled at about 75mph which I like to call 'Bryan Strang' pace. I've always thought that the slower you bowled it, the more swing you are likely to generate.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbf he also bowled at about 75mph which I like to call 'Bryan Strang' pace. I've always thought that the slower you bowled it, the more swing you are likely to generate.
I'm not sure if it's actually more swing as such. It'll move more before it reaches the batsman, yes, but in reality the ball just starts going earlier. Whilst the ball moves more from its original path, it's easier to play because the batsman will pick up the swing earlier - that's without even factoring in that the slower pace of the ball will give him more time to adjust as well, regardless of swing.

But yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest he was an awesome bowler; merely that his ability to swing a ball wasn't a particularly reliable test of its condition.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I'm more interested into how Sidebottom will bowl to Smith. I'm really worried how Englands batsmen will fare though. :@

tooextracool

International Coach
I'm not sure if it's actually more swing as such. It'll move more before it reaches the batsman, yes, but in reality the ball just starts going earlier. Whilst the ball moves more from its original path, it's easier to play because the batsman will pick up the swing earlier - that's without even factoring in that the slower pace of the ball will give him more time to adjust as well, regardless of swing.

But yeah, I wasn't trying to suggest he was an awesome bowler; merely that his ability to swing a ball wasn't a particularly reliable test of its condition.
If it moves more before it reaches the batsmen, isnt that more swing? My point though is that the slower you bowl, the more likely you are to swing it. Its almost like the inverse of reverse swing, even though Jones has claimed that he has been able to get the ball to reverse at 65mph. Yes the batsmen will be able to negate swing if they had more time to react to it or the ball starts to swing earlier and that is essentially why Bicknell would probably have never cut it at the test match level. Thats not a mark against bicknell who did his job admirably against SA that summer but IMO his pace meant that he was always likely to swing the ball.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm surprised you'd leave Amla out for Duminy, Amla has been excellent in the past two series and is an excellent player of spin, which gives the lineup a good balance. I may be proven horribly and dramatically wrong, but I think he's starting to peak after a very poor start to test cricket.
Hashim Amla has only really had three good series out of the 11 he's played, most other times he's either failed outright or scored a half century and averaged in the twenties or thirties. Two of those series and three of his four Test centuries have came against New Zealand and I beleive he benefitted very heavily from several dropped catches during his 176* and 103 in the 2007/08 series. Admittedly his technique has improved since his initial foray into Test cricket but I still don't rate him as much of a Test batsman as he's never shown me that he is capable of scoring runs in difficult situations.

Prince on the other hand, has been out of sorts for a long time now, and if it weren't for his crucial innings against the West Indies he'd have been ditched instead of Herschelle for the purposes of entertainment. I haven't seen enough of Duminy to say whether he should replace either of them, but if he's as good as you seem to think I'd have him in instead of Prince, not Amla.
I rate Ashwell Prince very highly, in my eyes he is a solid customer who can fight for runs when the going is tough and capatalise when the bowling is wayward or the pitch is flat. I really do think he has the potential to average around 45 for South Africa, he just needs to be hungrier for his runs. I think it's very unfair to say that he "has been out of sorts for a long time now". He debuted too early and was rightfully discarded for a couple of years, but since 2005 he's been averaging over 45 in the middle order and over 50 at home.

FWIW I rate JP Duminy very highly and feel as though he'll be a very succesful batsman for South Africa. I think he'll have to wait until one of the incumbents is in poor enough form to warrant being dropped though, unless he can continue to pile on the runs. Then the selectors might be willing to take a gamble even if Prince/Amla/de Villiers are averaging 40+.

stumpski

International Captain
South Africa going along nicely at Uxbridge, 60-1 with Amla outscoring Smith atm. I didn't know Mark Lawson was at Middlesex now, I take it that's a loan signing?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa going along nicely at Uxbridge, 60-1 with Amla outscoring Smith atm. I didn't know Mark Lawson was at Middlesex now, I take it that's a loan signing?
If it is then its a great signing for both teams. He needs opportunities and he has some real ability.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think Vaughan, while not unproven, is still not doing enough to assure himself a place in the side on his batting alone. His averages maybe fine, but he hasnt had a consistently good series since 2002/03. Like i said earlier, 1 good score in a 3 match series is simply not good enough.
TBH I don't know what more he has to do to convince you. He's never going to repeat 2002 and 2002/03 (not that those series were anywhere near as good as the number of let-offs he had made them look, but he still made several chanceless massive scores, yes). Vaughan in 2007, against both teams, played well. Same against NZ in the opening series of this summer. No-one is going to score 70 or 80 + every time they come to the crease. Vaughan has made the odd massive score and the odd other important contribution (at least one of which was a not-out). He's done absolutely fine for me, and I'd not remotely question his place based on his non-opening form in the last year.