• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
Hameed needs to learn. He has the sand to play test cricket and needs to come through. No point in molly-coddling until he is 28. Nor should they pick some mercenary like Robson. Get the young bloke in there. Ponting, Harvey & Bradman learnt the hard way, and enough said.

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Those three were extraordinary players. There's no guarantee a reckless ploy such as that would work. If that strategy worked every time then I'd agree but it doesn't, he's human, not a machine.

Ponsford

Cricket Spectator
He has the potential, no-one in the Board of Control/ACB knew that any of those young blokes were extraordinary from the beginning. Sad, but Cook looks spent too.

Bijed

International Regular
Woakes is out until the ashes. Barrington never batted at 3 and he has to be the best English batsman ever. England don't have to use the Aussie model, 123 all play down the left (or right) shoulder types, no-one else in world cricket bats that deep, nor has for years. Hameed at 3, he is the future, he isn't a cupcake like Bell. Not sure about Jennings, I'd be more keen on opening with Hales again.
I thought he was definitely out of the SA series, but we don't know if he'll play when the West Indies tour later this summer?

Bijed

International Regular
Woakes was back playing 2nd team cricket today. Along with Chris Wright, Olly Stone and Ryan Sidebottom (the aussie one).
Hadn't come across this Australian Ryan Sidebottom before. I find his brother's name, Steele Sidebottom, to be curiously satisfying.

And his brother plays for an AFL team called Collingwood. Coincidences abound!

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
For some reason, I am more eagerly awaiting for this SA-Eng match to start than the Ind-SL match. Not sure if any other Indian fan feels the same way.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2nd XI cricket is good at present, Trescothick was playing for Somerset, Hameed for Lancashire and that Warwickshire line up was mad.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's silly, but I don't think it's silly enough to suspect something more juicy than the official reason. Players do get released from squads from time to time when they definitely won't be playing further part in a series; I've just never really got the point unless they have domestic cricket to go back to (which they often don't).
tbf they'd probably only booked enough hotel rooms to go along with the original plan of 'cover Faf then send one home'. So they decided **** it, keep Markram and send Duminy home instead.