• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

Ruckus

International Captain
You pick the eleven players that gives you the best team, not the best eleven cricketers you have. Philander having a marginally better bowling record than Broad in the comparable time does not count the fact that in roughly the same time Broad's batting has been far more significant - and it's not a little thing either - and has won England two Test matches and kept them competitive in another.

And I think Philander, not Broad, is part of that. In short for me, Philander's bowling advantage>Broad's batting advantage.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Philander is a different bowler to Broad. If he would replace anyone in the lineup, it would be either Steyn or Anderson. I would keep Steyn because of his speed, but obviously Anderson is the more complete bowler, so it's a tough decision, which is why Philander should not be in the XI man squad.

Jacknife

International Captain
Even taking into account the pitch, it's been a massive effort by SA and they're showing England what can happen when you don't throw you're wickets away.

Spark

Global Moderator
Philander is a different bowler to Broad. If he would replace anyone in the lineup, it would be either Steyn or Anderson. I would keep Steyn because of his speed, but obviously Anderson is the more complete bowler, so it's a tough decision, which is why Philander should not be in the XI man squad.
Not a decision at all IMO. Anderson has been outstanding over the last year, but it's Dale Steyn. As far as a general lineup goes it's not really a question - you pick the best bowler in the world, period.

You could of course be insane and pick an all-pace attack with Kallis as the rotation option.