• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in England 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
stephenbrenkley
Unprecedented territory here: two partnerships of above 250 in same innings. Captivatingly remorseless.
5 minutes ago

shameless

and wrong

Ruckus

International Captain
Philander is a different bowler to Broad. If he would replace anyone in the lineup, it would be either Steyn or Anderson. I would keep Steyn because of his speed, but obviously Anderson is the more complete bowler, so it's a tough decision, which is why Philander should not be in the XI man squad.
How is Philander closer to Steyn/Anderson than Broad?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not a decision at all IMO. Anderson has been outstanding over the last year, but it's Dale Steyn. As far as a general lineup goes it's not really a question - you pick the best bowler in the world, period.

You could of course be insane and pick an all-pace attack with Kallis as the rotation option.
I'd probably go as far as to pick Duminy in the top six if you gave me an all-pace attack unless the pitch was ridiculous, so yeah Swann plays thanks. I fail to see how Kallis would be a good change option after you got through Anderson, Broad, Steyn and Philander.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes I do, because at the time I had seen it live and thought he'd been stumped. Was hideous. Wanted to go home there and then.
They show this game all the time on World Series Classics; I've started to actually memorise these highlights.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd probably go as far as to pick Duminy in the top six if you gave me an all-pace attack unless the pitch was ridiculous, so yeah Swann plays thanks. I fail to see how Kallis would be a good change option after you got through Anderson, Broad, Steyn and Philander.
By change option I meant "reasonably competent bowler who can bowl some overs to give the others a break", but yeah.

Burgey

Should say I went to a **** load of games that summer. This may be the one where some mates and I met McGilvray as we were running about in the Nobel Stand. grandfather used to take the whole cricket team into the games. We'd pile as many as we could into his car and go. Usually seven or eight of us. I think Thommo misfielded one badly on the boundary and copped a razzing.

Was the night MacGilvray said to us he reckoned Rackemann would be a gun for Australia.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Yes I do, because at the time I had seen it live and thought he'd been stumped. Was hideous. Wanted to go home there and then.
History of wanting to leave venues early I see.

Must be a result of you being an Eels supporter. Always wanting to go at half time.

BeeGee

International Captain
This is very disappointing from the English bowlers. I know the batting conditions are very good, but where's the fight? They just look like they're going through the motions.
Bowl some bouncers FFS. Be aggressive. Take back the initiative.

Piss weak.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Btw I don't think it's conclusive at this point that Philander is a better bowler than Broad. Can certainly understand, or expect, that it would be a majority opinion, but to state it as an unarguable fact is wrong, IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
This is very disappointing from the English bowlers. I know the batting conditions are very good, but where's the fight? They just look like they're going through the motions.
Bowl some bouncers FFS. Be aggressive. Take back the initiative.

Piss weak.
Name me a single team that has ever not looked like that at 2/a million. Frankly, England are doing OK not to just put every single man on the boundary and bowl every which way, which is what happened down here for two consecutive summers by different sides.