• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South Africa in Australia 2014

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Apparently Faf doesn't bowl anymore because of a bad back. So that's why they've been trying out the filth that AB bowls. Because AB has never had back problems.

the big bambino

International Captain
Kind of agree with SA's balance problems and I'd go for the extra bowling option as Philander and Morkel can handle the bat a bit. Kyle Abbott and Duminy would make them better.

Spark

Global Moderator
Philander, sure, but Morkel has turned into a bit of a rabbit against decent bowling of late.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Morne Morkel? Cannot bat.

Tonight I watched Domingo say they will pick seven batsmen and that he understands it will leave the bowling light. Shocking decision.

Spark

Global Moderator
It'd make sense if the seven batsmen picked were all actually good but there's scant evidence of that so far

the big bambino

International Captain
C'mon Dogwalker, Morne's not that bad with the willow. From an Aussie perspective I worry about his ability to hang around and hit big. Anyway all of this relative to his position in the batting order. I think they have enough clump in the tail to justify playing a bloke like Abbott and make themselves more competitive that way.

anil1405

International Captain
Kind of agree with SA's balance problems and I'd go for the extra bowling option as Philander and Morkel can handle the bat a bit. Kyle Abbott and Duminy would make them better.
Steyn is twice as better than the two names you have mentioned when it comes to application with a willow in his hand (and would make a better no.7).... Philander to me looks like he is least bothered to score runs and just wants to hang around (at best)

the big bambino

International Captain
Steyn is twice as better than the two names you have mentioned when it comes to application with a willow in his hand (and would make a better no.7).... Philander to me looks like he is least bothered to score runs and just wants to hang around (at best)
Fair enough about Steyn's batting (though I think twice as good is a bit ott). All 3 of Steyn, Philander and Morkel have poor odi batting averages, especially in comparison with their test performances, but I'm guessing that's just a function of them having to hit out with few balls to play with (so to speak). If their roles where modified with the addition of an extra bowler I'd reckon you could get more out of them batting wise.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Russell Domingo said:
What happens if we're chasing 250 and we're 80/4? That's why we need the extra batsman.
Well, ****, pal, with that bowling line-up we'll be chasing 570 never mind 250.

anil1405

International Captain
I was talking about the application part (not ability) where Steyn is much better at...last odi is an example. When Proteas needed to score quickly Philander managed one run in about 12 deliveries whereas Steyn attempted to go bang bang straightaway. Although Vern has the ability I believe he lacks in match presence.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
cricket.com.au ‏@CricketAus 29s29 seconds ago
Faulkner, Starc, Watson and Coulter-Nile measuring their run up. Looks like we could see some pace today #AUSvSA

Drats