• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
So Lyon and Cummins got their debut first class 5fer in their first test and now Hazlewood is very likely to debut without a first class 5fer. I don't have the confidence others here seem to have in him, but with his height in Perth there's a chance.

When Cummins debuted was it mentioned who the last Aussie quick was to debut without a 5fer? Vaguely recall it may have been McDermott.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With everything else happening this has been missed or overlooked.

Steve Rixon(a former wicketkeeper) has been appointed the Australian spin bowling coach. -.-
It's more "we don't want to hire a spin coach, but hey Rixon why don't you spend some time with Lyon"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Last time a non Zim/Bang test side changed its entire seam attack between tests in the same series?

Can't have happened too often.

flibbertyjibber

Last time a non Zim/Bang test side changed its entire seam attack between tests in the same series?

Can't have happened too often.
We must have done it a few times in the 80's and 90's the way the revolving door worked at the time.

Ashes 93. Bicknell and Ilott at Edgbaston and then Malcolm, Watkin and Fraser at Oval.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
Still seething.

SA should now be firm favourites to clinch this series after seeing the announcement of the 12 man squad, particularly if Lyon is carrying the drinks. Australia have decided that picking our Aus A attack would be a good option against one of the truly gun batting lineups in the world, crazy.

Ponting considers this to be like a Grand Final, so why are we resting the heart and soul of our team. #angryface

BTW if we play an attack of Starc, Johnson, Hazlewood and Hastings who is going to be the new ball bowlers?
Yes, are these players injured or are they just being rested? If it's the latter, that is utterly absurd. What importance are we giving this apparently critical match if we can't even see fit to pick our best side? And if they're so exhausted they can't play in Perth why were they managed so badly by Clarke in Adelaide? Australia may have been one bowler down but that's not a good enough excuse. This decision has not received enough critical attention in the media. Someone needs to be answering hard questions about mismanagement of bowlers and test schedules and the regard CA has for test cricket and SA as the No. 1 test nation.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We must have done it a few times in the 80's and 90's the way the revolving door worked at the time.

Ashes 93. Bicknell and Ilott at Edgbaston and then Malcolm, Watkin and Fraser at Oval.

In 1989, we did it in the final test of the series.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Yes, are these players injured or are they just being rested? If it's the latter, that is utterly absurd. What importance are we giving this apparently critical match if we can't even see fit to pick our best side? And if they're so exhausted they can't play in Perth why were they managed so badly by Clarke in Adelaide? Australia may have been one bowler down but that's not a good enough excuse. This decision has not received enough critical attention in the media. Someone needs to be answering hard questions about mismanagement of bowlers and test schedules and the regard CA has for test cricket and SA as the No. 1 test nation.
I agree with you about the hard questions but Clarke has a responsibility to win the Test he's playing in, workload and all that are for before and after the game. If, to win a Test, he has to bowl his quicks into the ground, so be it, especially since they nearly did it. I have zero problems with Clarke's captaincy in Adelaide.

Want to blame anyone, blame the dicks who programmed 3 Tests in 3 weeks against the top Test side.

uvelocity

International Coach
i agree with you about the hard questions but clarke has a responsibility to win the test he's playing in, workload and all that are for before and after the game. If, to win a test, he has to bowl his quicks into the ground, so be it, especially since they nearly did it. I have zero problems with clarke's captaincy in adelaide.

Want to blame anyone, blame the dicks who programmed 3 tests in 3 weeks against the top test side.
100%

but with it also know there was such a short turnaround time, and there was a strong likelyhood of SA batting for 2 days in Adelaide anyway, that no contingency was taken is one of the other main problems

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Well maybe so, but we lost a bowler early in the first SA innings - had we had 4 bowlers I dare say Sids and Hilfy would have been fit for Perth. Can't underestimate the impact of nearly 2 full innings without a key bowler, plus no Watson.

Plus, Watson in essence is the contingency plan to have a 5 man attack. We were down to 4 then lost another - it's bad luck rather than bad planning, similar to SA with Duminy/Kallis.

TNT

Banned
Completely agree with Australias selection here, Hilf has bowled 107 overs in the last two test matches and Siddle has bowled 117 overs. So far in this series Philander, Kallis, Pattinson and Styen have all suffered injuries. If over the next two years Australia can build a stable of fast bowlers that can interchange and maintain a high level we could see another extended period at the top of the rankings,

Teams that are rising to the top dont last long anymore because they dont have the ability to sustain quality performances and are crippled by injuries to top players. SA are riding high at the moment but if Styen injures himself I can see them struggling.

Although I want Australia to win this test I dont want to see them on top of the rankings just yet, I think the pressure to stay there will be to much and will change the philosophy from rebuilding to surviving which in my opinion is not justified. Plus most people will blame the change of bowlers wothout looking at the bigger picture if they lose. A lose lose situation for the selectors but I hope they stick to their plan and keep rotating the bowlers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Anyone else think its a bit of a false feeling that we are playing for number one anyway.

I mean we were 4th almost 5th at one point and have since beaten SL away, WI away, drawn with SA away, drawn with NZ at home and beaten India at home. Its a reasonable record but it doesn't scream number 1 to me. Yes, yes close teams, but its surely a false number one if we even manage it.

Hope Punter has a golden game, that's my only wish for this game now.

Top_Cat

Ranking's just a number, really. Only in eras of utter dominance is it really clear who the best team is. I mean, the whole thing is pretty much playing out how many of us saw it 5 years ago where the undisputed best team would be impossible to tell because all of Australia, India, England and SA would take various series off each other at various times dependent on injuries, bad luck, etc. and each team would have their time at all positions from 1-4.

Even if Australia did take number 1 again, you'd imagine England will feel fairly confident in taking it right back in England next year. I doubt anyone saw England winning on spinning tops in India and SA might even be a little vulnerable to Pakistan in January, etc. My opinion is that England and SA are still a small level above the rest but they certainly do have weaknesses the other teams can exploit.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Just shows how bad Sa have been at home, that they arent clear leaders at #1, if they were dominant at home they would probably have a clear lead by now. They havent beaten Aus or england or India in Sa in a long time, Smith has captain has never done it all at home. SA obviously look the better side on paper, but their depth is pathetic, as Donald alluded too on The Cricket Show in Adelaide. We actually have decent depth in batting, but especially in bowling. I think we'd be a worthy #1, but obviously not a dominant one, but then neither have the previous 3 #1 teams.

TNT

Banned
Agree that rankings are just a number but intense pressure is applied to players from the media and supporters when a team is positioned at the top. Selectors not only have to pick the best team but they also have to factor in the response they will receive in the press and the supporter reaction when making selections nowdays.

Top_Cat

THEN WHY DID JOHNSON GET SELECTED!?!?!? #cwnerdrage

EDIT: Gettin' with the times.

Last edited: