• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia 2012

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought we discussed MJ in much deeper length. Guess it's holed up in some other thread

Spikey

Australia v South Africa, 3rd Test, Perth : To sub, or not to sub? | Cricket Features | Australia v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

You know, I don't mind the idea of a sub in the shield cricket, but not actually for the reasons in there. Given the shield is more and more 'just' a reserves comp, the problem of a bowling breaking down and a batsman knocking up a ton that has a question mark hanging over it is, well, more of a problem. So I wouldn't mind it from that perspective. def. don't support it in test cricket tho.

flibbertyjibber

You can't have subs as you would get sides abusing it by having fake injuries to get another spinner involved if the pitch turns and so on.

Top_Cat

Am definitely not against Johnson playing at Perth in principle but I'd be interested to see what he's sending down first. I thought he really intimidated Amla and AB last time they played against each other so maybe it's not all bad...

morgieb

wrt to subs, I think it needs to be strongly enforced. It does seem a little unfair that they have to stick with injured players, particularly with no runners.

Burgey

WRT subs, the ICC could have a panel of doctors in all of its host countries. When a player is injured in a situation like Kallis has been, the local panel members could look at his scans or medical reports and overnight give a yay or nay to any proposed substitute.

My own view is it's a sad part of the game that players get injured in the course of FC or test matches, and teams need to deal with it. But then again, it's now a professional sport and livelihoods of team mates can be at stake if a side which loses a player loses a match instead of drawing one, or even winning. It's a vexed question. I think the easiest way is to maintain the status quo, but it's not really satisfactory either.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The only rule I would allow is for teams to change their 11 after the toss. It means the toss becomes slightly less critical.

Other than that, being fit and avoiding injuries is part of the game. If you can't handle it, there's always t20.

Justo

U19 Debutant
I'd personally allow replacements for genuine injuries but make it based on innings. I'd also make it that replacements have to be determined before the match E.G. each team has a 15 man squad. Replacement A is able to replace 1-6 in the batting line up, replacement B is able to replace the wicket keeper and replacement C is able to replace a bowler in the event of injury.

I would only allow the replacements to come in at the start of the 3rd innings. This could mean that a team might have to bowl or bat in the first and second innings down a player but for the third and fourth innings they'd be back to full strength. This avoids the possibility of fresh bowlers/batsmen coming in mid innings while still ensuring that teams are able to be competitive.

Replacements also would need to be approved by the umpires and/or medical staff. Obviously things like cramps etc wouldn't warrant a replacement. Only genuine injuries/illness being the cause for replacement.

uvelocity

International Coach
**** all that, part of cricket is getting out there with a broken hand or broken jaw, bowling on one leg and getting your team over the line.

nannystate seriously

benchmark00

Substitute? You bishs cray?

Runners is a tricky one, they definitely should have them in theory, but in practice it's impossible to police, even with an independent doctor/trained medical professional. Say a bloke goes down with cramp (which is generally seen as conditioning, not injury), what's stopping the player from saying it's actually a torn muscle? They can't stop the game and get scans and then give him a runner if he has torn his calf.

Maybe if they have a rule where once you start your innings, if you get injured you can't have a runner, but if you sustain an injury before you go out to bat during the course of the match, then if it's tested and seen to be an injury, you're allowed a runner.

Spikey

Malcolm Conn ‏@malcolmconn

#cricket Ponting to announce retirement today

god i hope conn is wrong

i don't care about ponting staying or going. i just want conn to be wrong