• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Shri

Mr. Glass
Bairstow wafg 😂

Jonny Bairstow admitted trying an Alex Carey-style stumping in the first Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Australian batsman Travis Head has claimed amid English fury over the Lord’s incident.

Yet speaking on LiSNTR’s Willow Talk podcast, Head revealed that he’d had a quiet word to Bairstow while awaiting the third umpire’s verdict on the incident.

“Jonny wasn’t too pleased,” Head said. “And I sort of reminded Jonny last week I walked out of my crease at the end of an over.

“I quickly whipped my bat back and questioned Jonny on whether he would take the stumps and he said, ‘Bloody oath I would’, and ran off.”

“We’d seen (Bairstow) try to do it and I’ve seen it happen a few times,” Head said, recalling an incident in a South Australia v NSW Sheffield Shield game.

“Remember Tommy Cooper getting done at the SCG. ‘Nevs’ (Peter Nevill) threw the stumps down on him.

“If you put on the England hat, they’re disappointed. But the Australia (side), to the letter of the law, which was explained with Mitchell Starc’s catch the day before that it would be out...

“I know they’ve questioned it differently if they were in the same situation but with all the heat out of the air, saying that is a little bit different than in the moment.

“(Stuart Broad’s) comments that the whole of Australia would wake up and Pat wouldn’t be captain … He seems to forget our fans are pretty loyal and pretty happy with the way the Australians are going about things.”

“This whole series has been about embracing it and dealing with these things,” Head told Willow Talk.

“An Ashes series is high emotion, the crowd gets involved. I stood in front of the Hollies (at Edgbaston) last week and got called every name under the sun.

“You’ve got to take it. You smile and have a joke, try to be as calm and consistent as we can.

“It’s OK for crowd members, they pay their money, to say whatever they want. Some of it is below the belt, some of it is OK and pretty humorous.”

“Hopefully they remember I played for Yorkshire for a couple of games years ago but I don’t think it’s going to be much good!” he laughed. “It’s going to be an electric crowd.”

Gob

International Coach
Bairstow wafg 😂

Jonny Bairstow admitted trying an Alex Carey-style stumping in the first Ashes Test at Edgbaston, Australian batsman Travis Head has claimed amid English fury over the Lord’s incident.

Yet speaking on LiSNTR’s Willow Talk podcast, Head revealed that he’d had a quiet word to Bairstow while awaiting the third umpire’s verdict on the incident.

“Jonny wasn’t too pleased,” Head said. “And I sort of reminded Jonny last week I walked out of my crease at the end of an over.

“I quickly whipped my bat back and questioned Jonny on whether he would take the stumps and he said, ‘Bloody oath I would’, and ran off.”

“We’d seen (Bairstow) try to do it and I’ve seen it happen a few times,” Head said, recalling an incident in a South Australia v NSW Sheffield Shield game.

“Remember Tommy Cooper getting done at the SCG. ‘Nevs’ (Peter Nevill) threw the stumps down on him.

“If you put on the England hat, they’re disappointed. But the Australia (side), to the letter of the law, which was explained with Mitchell Starc’s catch the day before that it would be out...

“I know they’ve questioned it differently if they were in the same situation but with all the heat out of the air, saying that is a little bit different than in the moment.

“(Stuart Broad’s) comments that the whole of Australia would wake up and Pat wouldn’t be captain … He seems to forget our fans are pretty loyal and pretty happy with the way the Australians are going about things.”

“This whole series has been about embracing it and dealing with these things,” Head told Willow Talk.

“An Ashes series is high emotion, the crowd gets involved. I stood in front of the Hollies (at Edgbaston) last week and got called every name under the sun.

“You’ve got to take it. You smile and have a joke, try to be as calm and consistent as we can.

“It’s OK for crowd members, they pay their money, to say whatever they want. Some of it is below the belt, some of it is OK and pretty humorous.”

“Hopefully they remember I played for Yorkshire for a couple of games years ago but I don’t think it’s going to be much good!” he laughed. “It’s going to be an electric crowd.”
Regular Ron Weasley

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Stokes innings really was a highlight of the brilliant calculated aggression bazball has. It wasn't just blind slogging, their was a real method behind it. If you go through the period where stokes went from 62 at the YJB dismissal and started slogging to when he got out, there was only one boundary at the end Cummins was bowling at before lunch.

Stokes absolutely murdered 6's from the end green operated from before lunch and haze operated after lunch, and just took singles/twos and the one boundary from the other end.

The way Australia eventually got him out was alot smarter than I see some giving stokes credit for. Took them way too long to stop the constant shortball crap (given the variable bounce and the collapses this caused and the larger lead it wasn't THAT bad), but when they did it ment stokes couldn't target the boundary at the end he wanted to so he had to try and hit out off hazlewood from the end he'd previously milked the odd two/boukdary from and got out.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Bairstow wafg 😂

Aussies are really struggling to understand the difference here. It's not rocket science.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Stokes innings really was a highlight of the brilliant calculated aggression bazball has. It wasn't just blind slogging, their was a real method behind it. If you go through the period where stokes went from 62 at the YJB dismissal and started slogging to when he got out, there was only one boundary at the end Cummins was bowling at before lunch.

Stokes absolutely murdered 6's from the end green operated from before lunch and haze operated after lunch, and just took singles/twos and the one boundary from the other end.

The way Australia eventually got him out was alot smarter than I see some giving stokes credit for. Took them way too long to stop the constant shortball crap (given the variable bounce and the collapses this caused and the larger lead it wasn't THAT bad), but when they did it ment stokes couldn't target the boundary at the end he wanted to so he had to try and hit out off hazlewood from the end he'd previously milked the odd two/boukdary from and got out.
Stokes needed to change up as well.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Bairstow wafg 😂

I've got absolutely no issue with the dismissal at all......but calling BS on this story tail.

English people do not say "Bloody oath" ffs.....im discrediting the witness and throwing this out.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That had he withdrawn the appeal he'd have been excoriated by those media outlets as a woke virtue-signaller who shouldn't be captain.
Kinda feel like a mod posting another member’s deleted post isn’t cool…

Gob

International Coach
Aussies are really struggling to understand the difference here. It's not rocket science.
Head doesn't bat outside the crease from memory (all though I could be wrong) so he wasn't looking to gain an advantage. Is that what you mean ?

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
As cricket fans we all know that Bairstow was out legitimately.

However, we all know that the law was never intended for that scenario where a player mistakenly thinks the ball is dead at the end of an over.

I genuinely think Australia missed a trick here by not recalling Bairstow. Would any other team in the world have withdrawn the appeal - probably not.

But Australia are not like any other side in the world. This was a side that only a few short years ago decided as a team to cheat. This was a side that said it had to change and would change. This was a side that brought shame on its country and on cricket.

Many of the players on the field at Lords were involved in sandpapergate. At a stroke they could have shown that they have changed, that winning isn't the be all and all. That how you play and win does matter.

You would almost certainly have won anyway and instead of all this bile and hatred the team would have been lauded for its sportsmanship and any taunts of Same Old Aussies Always Cheating would have sounded pretty hollow.

Obviously I'm not an Aussie and maybe you don't care how your team is perceived in England or anywhere else.

Maybe you don't care about sandpapergate or the wider image of cricket.

I don't blame Cummins or the Aussies for not withdrawing the appeal but I do think the team missed a glorious opportunity to show the culture of the team had changed and undo much of the damage of sandpapergate.

Its a shame that opportunity wasn't taken.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Head doesn't bat outside the crease from memory (all though I could be wrong) so he wasn't looking to gain an advantage. Is that what you mean ?
I was talking in general, but if Head was wandering down the pitch to chat to his partner at the end of an over, and Bairstow attempted to run him out, it's absolutely the same thing, and England have no leg to stand on. Any other circumstance, it's not comparable.

Even the Aussie journalist questioning Stokes couldn't grasp the difference. I don't see it as that difficult.

Gob

International Coach
They have done things to fix the tainted image ever since like not indulging in sledging/verbal abuse etc. Withdrawing an appeal of a lazy fat **** who could not do one of the most basic fundamental things in cricket does nothing to fix any image