• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Finn is the weak link at the moment. But it isn't like you can not bowl him since there are only 4 main bowlers. Strauss just has to hope he will come right. I do think Strauss might have taken him to let him think about his bowling.

pup11

International Coach
Of course they're going to target him on the front foot. How did he just get out?

Headingley last year? They bowled short to him basically all innings and it was eventually a yorker that he got out to.
Bowling short at Headingley was stupid on their part, the wicket had no real bounce or pace, but it had plenty of lateral movement on offer which English bowlers failed to use.
The thing I'm getting to is, that more and more bowlers realise now that even if Clarke is in good touch bowling short to him still can cause him a lot of problems.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bowling short at Headingley was stupid on their part, the wicket had no real bounce or pace, but it had plenty of lateral movement on offer which English bowlers failed to use.
The thing I'm getting to is, that more and more bowlers realise now that even if Clarke is in good touch bowling short to him still can cause him a lot of problems.
When he's so woefully out of form, yeah.

I'd still stick to the full length and a hint of outswing against him though.

The question is though, Clarke's played 65+ tests now, how has it taken that long for him to be "found out" like you say he has and it took Hughes about 5 tests?

hazsa19

International Regular
great morning of test cricket. As an England fan we would have loved another one and will think we deserved Hussey, but come on we would have taken 3 stumps when Punter won the toss.

Add 2 wickets to the score and that's the true image of the morning. England up, but Australia no way out of it on this great batting pitch.

Can't wait for the next session

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FWIW I think it's pointless talking about Clarke's form now. When you get a ball that good so early on you basically have to hope you miss it IMO.

Ruckus

International Captain

The question is though, Clarke's played 65+ tests now, how has it taken that long for him to be "found out" like you say he has and it took Hughes about 5 tests?
He hasn't been found out, everything is the same as ever. His bad form is a combination of one legitmately bad series in India (everyone has them) combined with a bad back and some genuinely excellent bowling. It's easy to see how all of that could cause a short period of bad form. He will come back, and probably in these Ashes.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm more talking about the Broad over he faced than the ball that got him from Anderson. I don't know anyone who could've played that.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm more talking about the Broad over he faced than the ball that got Anderson. I don't know anyone who could've played that.
Fair, but again, no one's going to look solid having just come to the crease at 0/2 in the second over.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, fair enough. Anyway, at the end of the day it's probably Katich's fault for running himself out :ph34r: FTR it was sixth ball...

In that light the way Watson played Anderson in the first few overs was outstanding. Didn't get any runs but didn't look troubled in the slightest.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
The pitch is flat as any other Adelaide wicket. The three to go were one run out, and two very good balls at two batsmen in indifferent form. I think Australia, if they don't self destruct by playing mindless strokes looks all set to be 300/3 at close.

blahblahblah

International 12th Man
The pitch is flat as any other Adelaide wicket. The three to go were one run out, and two very good balls at two batsmen in indifferent form. I think Australia, if they don't self destruct by playing mindless strokes looks all set to be 300/3 at close.
that sounds pretty ambitious

pup11

International Coach

The question is though, Clarke's played 65 tests now, how has it taken that long for him to be "found out" like you say he has and it took Hughes about 5 tests?
Hughes is pretty much brilliant off the front-foot and he just dismisses anything that's pitched up to him when he is in good flow, so obviosuly because of this bowlers tried the short of length balls against him pretty early and it was his rotten luck that he came across possibly the only two attacks that could have carried out such a ploy with success.
As for Clarke he has a pretty shoddy front-foot technique, so there is already plenty for the quicks to work with there, but whenever bowling full doesn't work bowling short does produce good results against him, and had bowling attacks been of better standards and pitches been more receptive, then Clarke and many other batsmen would have been more brutally exposed against the short ball.