• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, with these I think people need to appreciate the 3rd umpire gets clear images and isolated sound and so probably are in the best situation to be making the decision. According to Aggers, Tony Hill was convinced there was a cleard deflection and a definite noise. That's pretty conclusive evidence to overturn imo. So long as its the truth ofc

pup11

International Coach
thought he smashed it
That was out, but tbt when hot-stop is the primary aide for giving someone out or not-out than the decision should be made through hot-stop only, for example there was no way Hughes should have been given out in the 1st innings, since there was no nick on hot-spot, if you are going to give people out on sound or by looking at the actual replay then why at all have hot-spot.

greg

International Debutant
It's impossible to tell. From Hughes onwards hotspot has basically been useless. I think the TV ump has made the right call but I'm not gonna get too upset about people who complain
I think complaints should centre on the DRS process as usual. I'm certain he was out.

Jarquis

If you are using hotspot you can't simply ignore it. TBH I am less convinced about hotspot as this game goes on. Snicko seems far more reliable.
Spot (in almost all circumstances) = edge
No spot (in a wide range of circumstances) =! No edge

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think he hit it too but hotspot is worthless and any review system involving it is a joke.
It's not worthless. I think the point EWS made bears repeating. It's not definitive when there's no mark but very useful when there is a mark.

91Jmay

International Coach
That was out, but tbt when hot-stop is the primary aide for giving someone out or not-out than the decision should be made through hot-stop only, for example there was no way Hughes should have been given out in the 1st innings, since there was no nick on hot-spot, if you are going to give people out on sound or by looking at the actual replay then why at all have hot-spot.
Nah you're wrong on the Hughes one. He was given out on the field, if there is then a noise on replay it stays out IMO.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah, with these I think people need to appreciate the 3rd umpire gets clear images and isolated sound and so probably are in the best situation to be making the decision. According to Aggers, Tony Hill was convinced there was a cleard deflection and a definite noise. That's pretty conclusive evidence to overturn imo. So long as its the truth ofc
Indeed. It just looked out on the slow mo, clear deflection.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I can't believe people are falling into the 'hotspot is infallible' trap again.

I've got the commentary coming through the kitchen window and I can hear the nick.

greg

International Debutant
The thing is that despite all the complaints i think it can be argued that there has only actually been one clearly wrong decision impacting on the discussion about DRS in the whole series. And that was as a result of Clarke unnecessarily using up a review. (the Trott one is debateable but centres more on whether the third umpire should have over-ruled, not on whether he was actually out or not). So a lot of heat has been generated in discussion, but nothing that can really say that DRS is a bad thing or isn't working.

pup11

International Coach
Nah you're wrong on the Hughes one. He was given out on the field, if there is then a noise on replay it stays out IMO.
So what, since there was nothing on the hot-spot that decision should have been overturned, that's how the system should work, going into this whole snicko, sound or deflection business opens up a grey area which nobody wants.

Last edited:

Jarquis

So what, since there was nothing on the hot-spot that decision should have been overturned, that's how the system should work, going into this whole snicko, sound or deflection business opens up a grey area which nobody wants.
Go away.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It's not worthless. I think the point EWS made bears repeating. It's not definitive when there's no mark but very useful when there is a mark.
I don't think you can use a piece of technology when it is only definitive in one direction. If the on field decision is out it is basically impossible to successfully review if no hotspot mark is not evidence of no edge and its the primary piece of tech to find an edge.

At least bring snicko into it.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
You don't have to use just one particular thing as definitive though. It would be foolish to go solely off what Hotspot says if you ignore contrary evidence such as noise and clear deflections. Surely it makes sense to weigh up all the information you have seen and heard and make an educated decision on the strength of the evidence you have ?

greg

International Debutant
Whoever said that hotspot has to be the be all and end all? Not the ICC. Remember that hotspot has value to the third umpire not just for showing edges on the bat. It also shows other marks eg. when a possible inside edge is just bat hitting pad, or a noise is likely to be caused by the ball hitting the pad/shirt. When bat and ball are miles away from the body and there is a clear sound, and an apparent deflection then that really should be considered pretty conclusive.

After all there are provisions for DRS to be used even when hotspot isn't available.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think you can use a piece of technology when it is only definitive in one direction. If the on field decision is out it is basically impossible to successfully review if no hotspot mark is not evidence of no edge and its the primary piece of tech to find an edge.

At least bring snicko into it.
Why not? DRS is designed to get rid of the howlers. If there is a clear spot and the umpire has given it wrong, that's a clear use.