• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

pup11

International Coach
No he certainly hasn't. The rudiger has hit one Test ton in his last 45 innings. I know he's young and I do think its been unfair that he's batted everywhere in the top 6, but he has failed at Test Cricket so far but is too good for Shield.
He has only been as big a faliure as some of the others around him, his last test ton that you talk about was against Lanka in Lanka that not only saved that test but also ensured we won that series, in the next series against RSA in South Africa he scored 88 in the second test which played a part in us winning that test and hence drawing that series. He had a poor series against NZ and then he was dropped, came back into the team during the test series against Sri Lanka at home and averaged close to 50 and we won that series 3-0, later scored two ODI tons against Sri Lanka and those were the only two ODI's we won in that series.

He had a miserable tour of India and we all know the final scoreline during that series, now just during the last test he put together an amazing partnership with Agar and showed maturity beyond his years and that for me is his biggest strength, he might not look as pretty as a Watson or Haddin while batting but he sure as hell would score a lot more runs than any of these guys.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He has only been as big a faliure as some of the others around him, his last test ton that you talk about was against Lanka in Lanka that not only saved that test but also ensured we won that series, in the next series against RSA in South Africa he scored 88 in the second test which played a part in us winning that test and hence drawing that series. He had a poor series against NZ and then he was dropped, came back into the team during the test series against Sri Lanka at home and averaged close to 50 and we won that series 3-0, later scored two ODI tons against Sri Lanka and those were the only two ODI's we won in that series.

He had a miserable tour of India and we all know the final scoreline during that series, now just during the last test he put together an amazing partnership with Agar and showed maturity beyond his years and that for me is his biggest strength, he might not look as pretty as a Watson or Haddin while batting but he sure as hell would score a lot more runs than any of these guys.
I'm not interested in ODIs and I'm aware more or less of his career. The fact that you say 'he has only been as big a failure as some of the others around him' indicates to me that he has not been a success at Test Cricket.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Love how English supporters have forgotten that Australia were one Finn over away from being 1 up in this series.
This is exactly what i've been thinking. Hate how Australia are being made out to be some kind of laughing stock by our media after one bad test. I mean we haven't even gone 2-0 up yet and people are saying 5-0 is in the bag. No way, it'll be another great game at Old Trafford; always a sporting wicket for both teams there.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I don't know about Hughes but Khawaja certainly needs being persisted with. Guy is playing his sixth Test but he gets so much more flak than an obviously flawed bat like Hughes. Khawaja is about the only batsman other than Clarke that "looks" Test class in there...he works out his bat-pad issue and he will make you big runs in the future.

Ruckus

International Captain
This is exactly what i've been thinking. Hate how Australia are being made out to be some kind of laughing stock by our media after one bad test. I mean we haven't even gone 2-0 up yet and people are saying 5-0 is in the bag. No way, it'll be another great game at Old Trafford; always a sporting wicket for both teams there.
It's the manner in which we have played which is concerning. If we were down 2-0 and we played ok, I don't think the uproar would be nearly as much.

Btw are poms starting to get sweaty palms yet. Only a day and a half left to bat, we're on this.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At the same time you can't just hand them spots They'd need to have displayed some talent, some good attitude traits, a willingness to work hard and improve, maybe leadership etc. All of a sudden that throws out a lot of options
Yup. Give them opportunities without really earning them, you get Shane Watson.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia's biggest problem is not Hughes. It's not Khawaja. It's not Warner.

It's Watson. It's Cowan. It's Marsh. It's Ferguson. It's North. It's all the rubbish batsmen who should be at the peak of their careers but are too stupid (Watson/Marsh), not good enough (Cowan/North) or have not lived up to any of the expectations that people have placed on them (Ferguson). If even two of these five batsmen were averaging over 40 in test cricket we would be a heap more competitive.

The problem is that our batting is utterly dire. Completely rubbish. And that's the fault of the batsmen who have been given extended runs in shield cricket who were born between 1980 and 1985.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It could be a fantastic series if they could bat even at a mediocre level. This game could have been a very good one but they ruined it by being so **** on Friday.

91Jmay

International Coach
It's the manner in which we have played which is concerning. If we were down 2-0 and we played ok, I don't think the uproar would be nearly as much.

Btw are poms starting to get sweaty palms yet. Only a day and a half left to bat, we're on this.
Recon you have another collapse up your sleaves yet.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

If they batted the time would they get the runs?

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Australia's biggest problem is not Hughes. It's not Khawaja. It's not Warner.

It's Watson. It's Cowan. It's Marsh. It's Ferguson. It's North. It's all the rubbish batsmen who should be at the peak of their careers but are too stupid (Watson/Marsh), not good enough (Cowan/North) or have not lived up to any of the expectations that people have placed on them (Ferguson). If even two of these five batsmen were averaging over 40 in test cricket we would be a heap more competitive.

The problem is that our batting is utterly dire. Completely rubbish. And that's the fault of the batsmen who have been given extended runs in shield cricket who were born between 1980 and 1985.
Tbf there has been mismanagement (Katich) and injury (Jaques) that have also hurt.

Ruckus

International Captain
If they batted the time would they get the runs?
We I was actually referring to a draw, which would be a win for Aus given how dominant a position Eng are in, but I guess an outright win is possible in theory. Works out to about 3.6 runs an over from here.

pup11

International Coach
I'm not interested in ODIs and I'm aware more or less of his career. The fact that you say 'he has only been as big a failure as some of the others around him' indicates to me that he has not been a success at Test Cricket.
Yup... his FC record tells you that he scores a hundred every 4-5th game which he hasn't done in test cricket, so in that sense he has failed to live upto the expectations he came into the team with, but then you have blokes like Cowan, Smith, Watson, Haddin and Khwajha who have put in far worse performances then Hughes, but still they hardly get abused or roughed up by the critics in the same the that they pull down Hughes, and yet I haven't heard him defending himself or anything, which isn't something you can say about some of the others in the team. The guy is really mature for his age and all he needs is support from the authority figures within the team, whereas again sending him back into FC cricket would be an utter waste.
The ODI's might not be impotant from your viewpoint, but those are still international runs and just further highlights his importance to the side even at this stage of his career.