• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
actually monty does have a few lords 5 fers (against the Windies mostly, yes) but lords is becoming helpful to spin on day 4/5 these days.
Monty conceded a record number of runs without a wicket on day 4/5 at Lord's last year IIRC.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lord's has been very flat since 2005. So depending on how ENG bat on the final day it will dictate selection for this test. But regardless Monty has to go.

One thing is for sure already the worries about Cook & Bopara going into this series has already surfaced, so ENG should be careful about preparing a too bowler friendly deck, since it will make AUS pace attack even more dangerous.

Worrying times for ENG already.

For AUS i just hope they drop Hauritz & pick Clark...

Steulen

International Regular
It's Lord's so the draw should be the odds-on favourite, unless they've retained the T20 pitches. Flintoff will be knackered after Cardiff so he might have to be replaced too,

Agree with the obvious swap of Onions for Panesar, but I don't think they will change a second bowler. Flower doesn't seem to be the kind of guy who would allow Harmison to leapfrog Onions into the team.

alw1971

Cricket Spectator
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Rashid
Harmison
Sidebottom
Anderson

Chances are we will be 1-0 down, why not try being more agressive and give the Aussies something different?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Because Swann doesn't deserve to be dropped and there is no reason to pick Sidebottom whatsoever?

Not to mention Onions has to be next bowler in line

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
MSP surely... surely... has to go. Onions to replace him, you'd imagine, but you can never take anything for granted with England's selectors at the current time.

Harmison for Broad would have some merit (can't see Harmison being successful really, but nor can I see Broad being), but I feel Plunkett for Broad would possibly make more sense... and that's virtually none whatsoever. At least Plunkett is a hopeless bowler who can bat a bit, same as Broad. Though he's nowhere near as good as Broad with the bat.

Either way, I don't think it's exceptionally likely that Broad will be dropped. Just hope they don't go and do something stupid, along the lines of picking Pattinson in 2008.

As regards the deck, well the match against West Indies earlier this summer was easily the liveliest Lord's Test deck since 2005. And before anyone goes on about it being May - yes, so were the opening Tests in 2006, 2007 and 2008, and none of them had a particularly remarkable amount in them for seam either, though admittedly more than the second Lord's Tests in 2006 and 2008 did.

So in short it's not remotely unrealistic to expect a result pitch. Can England win only their 2nd victory against Australia in 113 years? I doubt it TBH.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Rashid
Harmison
Sidebottom
Anderson

Chances are we will be 1-0 down, why not try being more agressive and give the Aussies something different?
I would like to see England do this, but I think you also need to look seriously at Bopara and Cook. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Onions
Harmison
Anderson
Swap the just-about-acceptable-at-nine Anderson and the rank eleven rabbit Onions around and you've got England's most sensible team at the current time, and the one that beyond question should have played the First Test (bar Broad who clearly had to play there). Though as I say above, that Broad will be omitted is pretty unlikely.

There is no way on Earth that any of the top seven, nor Anderson, nor Swann, should be dropped. There would be a fair case for playing Swann, on tactical basis, if it was an obviously seaming, obviously non-turning, deck - not that I think such a thing will happen in either case.

How on Earth anyone continues to press for Rashid's inclusion is beyond me, now that everyone has seen at first hand how anodyne he generally is in the First-Class game, with the Lions-Australia match.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
That lbw was not mote unrealistic than some dropped catches that make the cut for FCA sometimes. In anycase Doctrove's mistake has distracted conversation away from just how poor an effort that 'shot' from Bopara was.

Anyway the suggestion from me to drop him was in jest. Think he has enough about him to be worth persisting with for a while, but not sure he's a #3 against a decent attack.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Swap the just-about-acceptable-at-nine Anderson and the rank eleven rabbit Onions around and you've got England's most sensible team at the current time, and the one that beyond question should have played the First Test (bar Broad who clearly had to play there). Though as I say above, that Broad will be omitted is pretty unlikely.

There is no way on Earth that any of the top seven, nor Anderson, nor Swann, should be dropped. There would be a fair case for playing Swann, on tactical basis, if it was an obviously seaming, obviously non-turning, deck - not that I think such a thing will happen in either case.

How on Earth anyone continues to press for Rashid's inclusion is beyond me, now that everyone has seen at first hand how anodyne he generally is in the First-Class game, with the Lions-Australia match.
Are you saying we should pick Harmison then??:-O

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That lbw was not mote unrealistic than some dropped catches that make the cut for FCA sometimes. In anycase Doctrove's mistake has distracted conversation away from just how poor an effort that 'shot' from Bopara was.

Anyway the suggestion from me to drop him was in jest. Think he has enough about him to be worth persisting with for a while, but not sure he's a #3 against a decent attack.
Haha yeah, knew you were joking, but you know me, take something and run with it (a bit like good arld Burgey and mints). I definitely think he is worth persisting with (35, and an unlucky to be out 8 is certainly not an instant dropping offence IMO) but you're probably right about him not being a 3. In truth I think the selectors would probably prefer him to be in the middle-order, but we have nobody to bat at 3. I'd be happy to see Pietersen bumped up one but it clearly won't happen.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah, I see Bopara as a 4/5/6/ rather than a 3 TBH, but as you said, it's more of a case of not having anyone else we can stick at 3 other than KP.

alw1971

Cricket Spectator
I don't think this such a bad decision.

Monty is not good enough, can't bat or field.

Swann did not get a wicket although he did get runs.

Rashid is young, attacking, will get better and can bat.

The problem we have is getting wickets, Swann did not get any, who is going to get them?

If you select Swann for the next test and he fails with ball again, what would you then decide?

Our spinners failed on a turning pitch, can't see Rashid being any worse myself?:mellow:

JMO

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

Loving your endorsement of Prior :)