• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously a bit of a mismatch against quite a weak opponent, but the Black Ferns are looking in good shape heading into a home World Cup. Great to see.

A shame there isn't more of a crowd in early for the first game of the double-header, but hopefully they'll get better turnouts for the tournament itself. Looking forward to going to some of the Whangarei games.

ashley bach

International Captain
Eden park sold out for tonight's match, sun was out today when I left Auckland this afternoon so here's hoping the rain can stay away.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's just lolbad game management.

Wobblies opt to tap a penalty in the ABs' 22, and the play ends with an NZ pen at the other end of the paddock, which results in a penalty try for yer Kiwis.

I have no words. Michael Lynagh would be rolling in his grave were he not (happily) alive and kicking.

Heboric

International Debutant
Dang it Australia, that was very Gamma type performace, not even Beta.
Didnt expect you to win but geez

James

Cricket Web Owner
Incredible to think at the end of the season the All Blacks have retained the Bledisloe and more than likely won the Rugby Championship.

Looking at the RWC 2023 pools, looks like the quarter finals will be:

France v Ireland
South Africa v New Zealand

Wales v Argentina
England v Australia

Wide open, but goes to show the groups shouldn't be set so far out.

Heboric

International Debutant
Incredible to think at the end of the season the All Blacks have retained the Bledisloe and more than likely won the Rugby Championship.

France v Ireland

Wales v Argentina
England v Australia

Poor Ireland then, could be eliminated in the quarters again...

Flem274*

123/5
Australia have a mental block against us despite some strong performances against teams above us so it's hard to tell, but to give some credit to Foster and NZR (since I give them **** all the time) Ryan and Schmidt have had a big impact.

We're seeing a lot more ideas in attack and Tyrel Lomax in particular has gone from an NPC standard prop to monstering scrums week after week.

We're playing with a lot more skill, so even if it doesn't translate into immediate results on the northern tour, for the first time in a while I think we're giving ourselves a proper opportunity to consistently win games against good teams.

As a final comment, I was/am very pro Jordie at 15, but much like how I see him at the Hurricanes and very wishful thinking full strength Taranaki, if he is our best 12 option and it allows us to fit the best players on the park, then I'm all for it. I've been a big Havili doubter and I think he's hard done by to be criticised this year when I think he's actually been decent for once, but I'm close to all aboard the triple playmaker train.

In fact trigger the Tasman and Saders scrum and dump Will Jordan to 23 for a meme selection of Damien/Perofeta at 14 and go with the quartet playmaker structure. It wouldn't be boring.

ashley bach

International Captain

France v Ireland

Wales v Argentina
England v Australia

The 2 teams that have dominated the world cup over the years play each other in the quarters just doesn't feel right.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have no idea why some of you guys continue to overrate the Wallabies

Fully fit and we’re bog average

Factor in the spate of injuries & we’re very poor

Scoreboard never lies

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

France v Ireland

Wales v Argentina
England v Australia
Hard to know. Pool B really is a pool of death with Ireland, SA, Scotland, and Tonga (and Romania). If Tonga can get 40% of the ball theirar backline is awesome with Pulu, Fekitoa, Piutau, and Folau.

Also Fiji can beat either Wales or Australia in pool C, while Japan could easily knock over Argentina in pool D. Sadly England looks too physically big for them but the same was said about Japan in the last 2 tournaments.

Despite Italy's improvements they have little chance vs France and NZ in pool A.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hard to know. Pool B really is a pool of death with Ireland, SA, Scotland, and Tonga (and Romania). If Tonga can get 40% of the ball theirar backline is awesome with Pulu, Fekitoa, Piutau, and Folau.

Also Fiji can beat either Wales or Australia in pool C, while Japan could easily knock over Argentina in pool D. Sadly England looks too physically big for them but the same was said about Japan in the last 2 tournaments.

Despite Italy's improvements they have little chance vs France and NZ in pool A.
100%. I was just going with what is "expected", but we all know with the state of international rugby right now that anything is possible. From our perspective, it's going to suck with the timing of all the games isn't it. No sleep for almost 2 months. Good practice I suppose with the football world cup coming up.

I was quite surprised by how poor Tonga were in the recent Pacific Nations Cup - hope they get plenty of games before the World Cup to improve. Maybe Samoa are more of a threat/dark-horse in the group stage?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I was quite surprised by how poor Tonga were in the recent Pacific Nations Cup - hope they get plenty of games before the World Cup to improve. Maybe Samoa are more of a threat/dark-horse in the group stage?
Yeah, so was I. Yeah, if Samoa click they could possibly beat Argentina/Japan. That pool might be interesting for 2nd behind England.