• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If it's for who I assume it's for, I'll ask that person's fellow workmate (initials MS), who is good mates with Ma'a.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it's for who I assume it's for, I'll ask that person's fellow workmate (initials MS), who is good mates with Ma'a.
Great call. Hadn't thought of that, but I'm sure the workmate in question would be very game to assist in this matter. Cheers mate.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Although if you were happy to contact MS yourself, it would save me a rather uncomfortable question!

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Although if you were happy to contact MS yourself, it would save me a rather uncomfortable question!
Was a great idea. He's having dinner with Ma'a at some point before the wedding and has promised to take a tape measure in order to allow this to happen. Thanks again, mate.

ripper868

International Coach
While you're at it, can you ask what brand of Mascara he uses? I'd ask myself but he's fricking huge and would kill me. Ta.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Solid win for us last night. Can't sniff at a win in Cardiff for the first time in 4 attempts achieved without three starting players and a first choice reserve in Hendre Fourie, but it was mildly disappointing to let the Leekists back into the game after having it seemingly sewn up at 23-9.

Good signs tho.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Not looking forward to the horribly misplaced Scottish optimism being crushed tonight.

34-3?

Oh, and I hate that Scotland always play France first, can be ruled out after one week :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not looking forward to the horribly misplaced Scottish optimism being crushed tonight.

34-3?

Oh, and I hate that Scotland always play France first, can be ruled out after one week :(
I think a Scots win is unlikly, but them at 13/2 is good value in my estimation. It's always hard to know with yer Frogs, they could quite easily be three scores up in the first quarter but if Scotland keep it tight, their (pretty awesome) back row make the hard yards & Parks has one of his increasingly frequent good days with the boot there's just a sniff.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Am I alone in thinking Toby Flood is a pretty solid five-eighth?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's close to as good as Carter ala 2005-2007 or Wilkinson ala 2002-2003, or even Carter ala now. But he controls the game well. I like how he attacks the advantage line and runs good angles too. He knocks over a few penalties too.

He well outperformed Quade Cooper last year, and I think he's a really solid player. Right now Jonny Wilkinson can't get (and shouldn't get) a look into the English side.

If I was picking a British Lions side for right now, I'd pick him over the overrated Welsh five-eighths easily.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Am I alone in thinking Toby Flood is a pretty solid five-eighth?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's close to as good as Carter ala 2005-2007 or Wilkinson ala 2002-2003, or even Carter ala now. But he controls the game well. I like how he attacks the advantage line and runs good angles too. He knocks over a few penalties too.

He well outperformed Quade Cooper last year, and I think he's a really solid player. Right now Jonny Wilkinson can't get (and shouldn't get) a look into the English side.

If I was picking a British Lions side for right now, I'd pick him over the overrated Welsh five-eighths easily.
No, I think most English fans quietly rate Flood. He ticks a lot of boxes: solid kicking game from hand and off the tee, has a eye for a gap and (without ever being quite Usian Bolt) has enough gas to exploit those he spots, mixes it up well and stands flat enough to exploit the quick ball he gets from Youngs. Both halfbacks being club mates is a nice bonus too.

Wilko's a nice option to have off the bench to shore up a winning position like he did last night (not so sure I'd fancy him to conjure up a win from a losing position now) but Flood's rightly ahead on merit.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Encouraging start for yer Eyeties versus Ireland. Parisse ruling the rucks already. Bergamasco jr slots the resultant pen.

Did heart the Italian stadium announcers pronunciation of "McLean" too; went for "mar-clen-ah". :laugh: Guess they figure he's playing for them so they Italianise the surname.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Terrible game with a very exciting finish.

I felt bad for Italy. I knew when they missed that last conversion it meant Ireland would go for the drop instead of the try. It meant the game.

Ireland looked really positive in setting-up that drop-goal though. Makes you wonder why they couldn't play like that the whole game? O'Driscoll was the only good Irish back on the day.

Brumby what do you think of Castrogiovani (sp?) as a prop? I've seen him get away with stuff before, but today he was square on when making the hit and an absolute rock. You know about scrums more than me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Terrible game with a very exciting finish.

I felt bad for Italy. I knew when they missed that last conversion it meant Ireland would go for the drop instead of the try. It meant the game.

Ireland looked really positive in setting-up that drop-goal though. Makes you wonder why they couldn't play like that the whole game? O'Driscoll was the only good Irish back on the day.

Brumby what do you think of Castrogiovani (sp?) as a prop? I've seen him get away with stuff before, but today he was square on when making the hit and an absolute rock. You know about scrums more than me.
Castro's a very decent scrummager to my way of thinking. Gets away with a lot (is a bastard for binding on the arm), but can take a square hit too. Cole & he form an awesome pairing for the Tigers.

Very ordinary game today tho; Ireland bitterly disappointing. D'Arcy in particular seemed to have had his hands replaced by bollocks.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We were absolutely dire, never got going at all. I found it strange too how dangerous we looked when we were attacking at 11-10 down. I hope that's not what it takes for us to start playing rugby in every game this year, but it's nice that our scriptwriters are still on form.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'm predicting England to win this Six Nations, but I tell you it's foreseeable that it'll be England v Ireland for the Grand Slam.

When Ireland won the Grand Slam years ago, I'll be honest, I thought they played some terrible rugby at times. One game against England was heinous in how disgustingly ugly it was. Then I watched France v Wales and it was probably the most exciting game of the year! But Ireland won the Grand Slam.

So you can play terribly, win ugly, and win the Grand Slam!

But England are my pick. It just seems to me if there's a close game they have the halves that can control the game better. They're the side that can control the game best I think.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm predicting England to win this Six Nations, but I tell you it's foreseeable that it'll be England v Ireland for the Grand Slam.

When Ireland won the Grand Slam years ago, I'll be honest, I thought they played some terrible rugby at times. One game against England was heinous in how disgustingly ugly it was. Then I watched France v Wales and it was probably the most exciting game of the year! But Ireland won the Grand Slam.

So you can play terribly, win ugly, and win the Grand Slam!

But England are my pick. It just seems to me if there's a close game they have the halves that can control the game better. They're the side that can control the game best I think.
Can't see it, we aren't that good despite the crap opposition. We will put in one stinker as usual and finish 2nd at best.