• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ripper868

International Coach
Genia/Cooper/Ioane/Faingaa's/Daley/Slipper/Hynes/Simmons/Higginbotham to bring the Kiwis back to Earth...Well, Genia-Cooper-A.Faingaa-Ioane maybe.

Have big raps on Anthony Faingaa, think a return to the hard running inside centre is due (enough of this 2 ball players crap when you have a halves combo like Genia/Cooper)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
How's the front row fitness looking for the Wallabies? Daley & Ma'afu against either of today's prop pairings could get very ugly very quickly.

ripper868

International Coach
How's the front row fitness looking for the Wallabies? Daley & Ma'afu against either of today's prop pairings could get very ugly very quickly.
Moore and Robinson played club rugby today and should be back to sure things up...Think Daley is up to it tbh...just need to look at how the Reds scrum held up vs the Bulls/Stormers in Super 14...Ma'afu the passenger IMO.

Think Slipper is the goods as well tbh, Weekes moving to Melbourne is a loss for the Reds but think Slipper will be more than capable of joing the 'tripod' effectively

EDIT: thats said, we are definitely are not superior in the scrum vs anyone...that also said, England need to imrpove their game plan to more than "knock on at any chance and bash em at the scrum"

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Two home matches and no Fourie du Preez probably having a slight effect too.

But yes, NZ seems to have earned back forward dominance and then there's no stopping them. :)
I think du Preez's been thoroughly missed and his understudy in Januarie shown up TBH. I said before last night's game that Januarie should leave the kicking to Steyn - his box kicks that travelled too far again allowed the All Blacks to counter attack, including one break that led to Muliana's try. His passing was ordinary too.

Surprised about the forward dominance though as I picked that to be South Africa's strength - Spies in particular has struggled, and Burger's been strangely annonymous. Smit and Matfield have hardly excelled either though I wouldn't write either off just yet.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of half backs I thought Cowan looked below his usual self coming off the bench. Perhaps he is better as a starter.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of half backs I thought Cowan looked below his usual self coming off the bench. Perhaps he is better as a starter.
I agree, hes looked a bit off the pace so far this season TBH - whereas Weepu's impressed off the bench and was one of the standouts in last night's performance on his return to the starting XV.

ripper868

International Coach
Wobblies to play the Bokkies:

15. Adam Ashley Cooper (Brumbies)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)

8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies, captain)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
3. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
2. Saia Fainga (Queensland Reds)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:
16. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Matt Hodgson (Western Force)
20. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
21. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
22. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)

Daley dropped for the return of Robinson, Slipper stays on the bench and can cover both sides of the scrum. Moore being eased back into it following his busted jaw. Looking forward to see how Simmons handles the step up as well.

Wallabies will win it in the halves, Genia played club footy last week and was extremely dangerous behind a beaten pack, and Cooper is just walking on water atm.

I'd like to see Anthony Faingaa in for Barnes tbh...don't think he offers much off the bench, and Giteau can cover 10 if Cooper gets injured. Don't like O'Connor on the wing either, plenty of traffic will be sent his way in the form of Burger/Spies and bombs. Really need Ioane to get fit and soon.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Robinson's return a massive boost though I'd still be nervous for Ma'afu and Slipper. Wouldn't be surprised to see Moore play the better part of 30 minutes off the bench to consolidate the front row even further. Surprised to see O'Connor on the wing - personally I'd have kept him at fullback, and played Ashley-Cooper at outside centre. Is Rob Horne really the number one choice at 13?

I still don't rate Quade Cooper as an international number 10 of immense class and feel a 10-12 of Giteau-Barnes would be more beneficial - I imagine that you feel differently Ripper so I won't criticise Cooper too much without at least seeing his progress during the Tri Nations. I've been a fan of Barnes' though so at least he features on the bench. How far away is Digby Ioane out of interest?

ripper868

International Coach
Ioane still a couple of weeks at last check, was running around though at the fan day at Ballymore yesterday, feel free to criticise Cooper all you want mate, I won't cry to the mods like some others have done in the World Cup Forum :)...I only came across to supporting him this year following his massive change of attitude and on-field form.

Super 14 player of the year has a nice ring to it, and to me says plenty about how far he has come...Giteau and Barnes would be a solid but boring combo IMO...Barnes does little but kick these days and the style of play has shifted to more running...sort of why I'd like Faingaa at 12 to hit hard and straight if Quades dancing doesn't come off, has been a great out clause for him all year that was nowhere near as effective against Ireland and England (as gitaeuea also more a stepper than a crasher)

13 bit of a sticky spot for us, and I personally think Ioane would be the best, but he has been carving with a free commision on the wing for the Reds all year. Also think Davies would have had aspot sewn up if not for his hamstring, kid is ridiculous quick and his courage in the tackle has improved 300% on last season.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cooper's a great front foot 10, but retain doubts about him under the pump. Reckon his kicking game could desert him unless he's totally on his game.

Great eye for a gap and amazing awareness too; reminds me of that other great mercurial fly-half of the recent past, Carlos Spencer.

Backing Oz, tbh. If the scrum doesn't creak too badly think yer Wallabies' backs can really hurt the Bok.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jouw Bokjes:

1 Gurthro Steenkamp
2 John Smit
3 BJ Botha
4 Danie Rossouw
5 Victor Matfield
6 Schalk Burger
7 Ryan Kankowski
8 Pierre Spies
9 Ruan Pienaar
10 Morne Steyn
11 Bryan Habana
12 Wynand Olivier
13 Jaque Fourie
14 Gio Aplon
15 Zane Kirchner
16 Chilliboy Ralepelle
17 CJ van der Linde
18 Flip van der Merwe
19 Dewald Potgieter
20 Francois Hougaard
21 Butch James
22 Juan de Jongh

Januarie axed altogether :lol: Still Burger to fill the **** quota though. And another new prop...not entirely sure how they've managed to go through 6-7 guys in the front row and not call up a Cheetah. They're big hearty lads. (Wian du Preez, Strauss, Coenie Oosthuizen)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Januarie axed altogether :lol: Still Burger to fill the **** quota though. And another new prop...not entirely sure how they've managed to go through 6-7 guys in the front row and not call up a Cheetah. They're big hearty lads. (Wian du Preez, Strauss, Coenie Oosthuizen)
TBH I think South Africa are better off without Januarie - he'd been poor in both Tri Nations games so far and he'd be up against one of the best young halfbacks over the last year in Will Genia. BJ Botha seemed to add more than van der Linde last week so I'm not altogether surprised to see that change in the front row. Interesting to note that Kankowski AND Spies are both named to start, with Francois Louw also missing from the 22.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Cooper's a great front foot 10, but retain doubts about him under the pump. Reckon his kicking game could desert him unless he's totally on his game.

Great eye for a gap and amazing awareness too; reminds me of that other great mercurial fly-half of the recent past, Carlos Spencer.

Backing Oz, tbh. If the scrum doesn't creak too badly think yer Wallabies' backs can really hurt the Bok.
Thats my concern over Cooper - if he gets his confidence up and takes the line with good ball he can be a handful, as proven in the Super 14 this year, but I can't see him consistently going head-to-head in test rugby with the likes of Steyn, Carter et al. and coming out as the better performer on most occasions. Though as I mentioned before, I'm happy to reserve more judgement until hes been given in a run in the Tri Nations to showcase what he can offer the Wallabies against top class opposition.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That tackle surely wasn't serious enough for a yellow. O'connor not having the best of games so far either.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That tackle surely wasn't serious enough for a yellow. O'connor not having the best of games so far either.
I've channeled Pieter De Villier's likely comment at the press conference after this game:

I've got my own observations about the tests in Australia, and I can't say it in public. But we do have a code fighting against three other winter codes in Australia, and maybe it was the right thing for them to win this game so they can attract more people to the games over the coming seasons.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think we've butchered enough line breaks yet. Scrambling defence when the 'boks were all but over was sensational.