• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Rugby League World Cup 2013

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samoa did get smashed by England Knights, tbf.

Have good looking side on paper, but reckon PNG or the frogs might have more coherence.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
He's really playing above himself, tbf.

A lot of folk (self included) were a tad surprised to see him get the gig ahead of Graham.
Don't know what you're talking about. Hill's the business. There's not been a more consistent prop in Super League over the last two years. When Jammer comes back, there's at least one other prop who was in that 17 who isn't fit to wipe Hill's arse (I'll give you a clue. He wore cherry and white last year, but will be on the other side of the globe next summer).

Missed the game myself. Was at a wedding. Just about to catch up now. Seemed a lot closer than I was expecting.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know if anyone just saw that, but PNG just scored the most ridiculously bizarre try.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
****ing Sonny Bill. Really intense game, was pleasantly surprised to see Samoa's comeback. May have underestimated them. Cannot believe Mead missed that penalty goal for PNG. Appalling.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
As if Thierry Alibert is refereeing World Cup games. Can't count to 6, which is sort of a prerequisite for a rugby league ref.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Met Billy Slater and Sam Thaiday as the Aussies were leaving Langtree tonight. Girlfriend was properly swooning over Slater. As a Fijian for the night, not impressed.

Anyway, any news on Luke Lewis? Poor bloke made the most horrific thud on the ad boards.

Edit: never mind. Looked it up. Dislocated shoulder. Fortunate really. By the sound it made, you'd think every bone in that arm was shattered.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was truly dire scheduling for the England game yesterday to put it on at exactly the same time as the Cook Cup clash at Twickers.

Obviously they are different sports, but the less ****headed fans of both codes retain an interest in both so it must've cost the BBC a coupla hundred thousand in viewing figures.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was truly dire scheduling for the England game yesterday to put it on at exactly the same time as the Cook Cup clash at Twickers.

Obviously they are different sports, but the less ****headed fans of both codes retain an interest in both so it must've cost the BBC a coupla hundred thousand in viewing figures.
I'm only a bandwagon viewer of both sports and was relatively annoyed by it. Union was the easy choice though given the obvious walkover in the Ireland game.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
When I think "players who injure themselves in sickening looking ways but turn out to be not as bad as it looked" I think Luke Lewis. Tough bastard.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Anyone following the League World Cup? Based on the results so far, seems like a snore fest.

I see the Kiwis beat Scotland 40-4 this morning to advance to the semis.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Coverage up here has been pants.

Well, it may well have been awesome, but aside from the England games and Wales v Italy which the BBC carried, all the games have been shown on Premier Sports, which would be another subscription on top of the small fortune I pay Sky every month.

By most accounts there's been some good games, most of them involving the minnows.

Trouble with a league WC is that it's dollars to doughnuts that it'll always be Oz, NZ, England and AN Other in the semis.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would love it if BT Sport bid for some Challenge Cup or Super League rights and forced Sky to pull their finger out when it comes to Rugby League. Losing NRL and World Cup rights to Premier Sports is pathetic.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Based on the results so far, seems like a snore fest.
Coverage up here has been pants.
Disagree with both these statements. The majority of the rugby so far, aside from some of the "big three" games against the minnows, has been cracking.

And the coverage of this tournament has been excellent. Sky might have been ignoring it, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of coverage on the BBC's website. The major disappointment with the BBC is that they haven't had a proper highlights program. Once a week is a farce.
Premier Sports is a fine carrier for Rugby League. Their programming is a cut above Sky's. They've already got a significant presence in the rugby league commmunity, due to actually making a commitment to the sport - by the end of the year, they'll have televised upwards of 260 games as opposed to Sky's 70-odd. And they did a deal with Virgin before the tournament to carry the channel for free until the new year. I don't really care that casual rugby fans don't have the opportunity to watch it (I don't have Premier Sports either), because they shouldn't be the target audience anyway. RL has a lot of disillusioned fans to win over up here before worrying about people who'll maybe watch a half dozen games a year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No problems with them carrying the NRL or the Championship, but the world cup should be a showcase for the sport. A chance to show the casual fans what a good product league can be.

Anyway, solid effort from England so far after a dodgy start. French looking pretty limited tho, it must be said.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah France haven't looked good in attack at all. The Australia vs USA game was quite fun to watch. I've always been a Slater fan, but seriously we look great with Inglis at the back. Of course it does weaken the centre position if Slater is unavailable because GI is always going to be the best option there too.

Betting agents have made these first three quarter finals really easy to add them into multis with a pick your margin feature. France +49.5 @ 1.31 was all I was prepared to go to with it being the fourth and final leg; looks like I could have went a way lower margin.