• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Round of 16 Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Question about the rule of when the ball is out. With the rule as I understand it, and with this picture View attachment 33846

It makes sense that it’s in. But what if the ball was in the air (eg no part of the ball touched the ground) and he kicked it back inside - assuming the players feet are inside the line - but the whole ball was out. Is that in or out?
The simplest way to answer this question is to ignore where the player is. The ball’s position is all that matters. So if the ball is in exactly the same position as above but 10 metres off the ground, then it’s technically in.

And to be honest had it been in the air it probably would have had people getting their heads round why it was in more quickly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of clowns, I see Gary Lineker has said we should rest Walker against Senegal to ensure he's fit to face France.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think the Dutch could be strong contenders in 2024 btw. They've got a lot of good young players who are probably just too young to do it this time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
What's the biggest ever upset in a world cup knockout? Most I've heard of are in the groups.

Suspect that Australia winning tonight would beat it regardless of the answer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What's the biggest ever upset in a world cup knockout? Most I've heard of are in the groups.

Suspect that Australia winning tonight would beat it regardless of the answer.
Bulgaria knocking Germany out in 94 has to be up there

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
LVG coached circles around Berhalter today. Shocked he didn’t expect LVG to sit deep and negate the US midfield. I think they made the Dutch look better than they are.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bulgaria knocking Germany out in 94 has to be up there
Croatia knocking them out in 1998 was also quite a shock as they'd won the Euros in 1996.

Romania knocking Argentina out in 1994 was a bit of a shock as well.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Slightly off topic. How do the group round tickets work? I’m in the US and wondering if you know which teams are playing where before your have to buy tickets? Seems the knockout rounds would be a guessing game but the groups shouldn’t be.