• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We had the same thing with Harmison.Yes when he got it right he was deadly but more often than not he was Harmlessone and his poor displays meant the team suffered.What will be more annoying is that he will keep being picked and producing nothing and that someone who carries the side will be jettisoned after a couple of poor games (or 1 in our case with Hoggard).
The difference between them though is that Johnson still seems to take lots of wickets even when he appears to be bowling rubbish.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The difference between them though is that Johnson still seems to take lots of wickets even when he appears to be bowling rubbish.
24 wickets in his last 7 tests @ 37 suggests that isn't always correct.When you consider in there is a match when he got 10 then he is becoming more and more Harmisonesque.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Took more wickets than all of the England bowlers in the last Ashes series while sending down tripe that has yet to be matched by anyone in a baggy green.
Haha true, but he wasn't what you'd call effective. Still averaged high 30s IIRC. The real Mitchell Johnson takes wickets at 30 odd while appearing to bowl rubbish.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Code:
SL	Home	07/08	2	8	30.12
Ind	Home	07/08	4	16	33.12
WI	Away	2008	3	10	34.70
Ind	Away	08/09	4	13	40.07
NZ	Home	08/09	2	14	11.00
SA	Home	08/09	3	17	25.88
SA	Away	08/09	3	16	25.00
Eng	Away	2009	5	20	32.55
WI	Home	09/10	3	17	28.08
Pak	Home	09/10	3	12	25.66
NZ	Away	09/10	2	12	23.08
Pak	Neut	2010	2	3	72.33
Ind	Away	10/11	2	8	32.62
That's his career. I don't think it's a big worry, personally. He's only averaged over 30 three times in his last nine series - twice in England, and once away against the best batting lineup in the world on flat pitches where 8 @ 32 is a good return.

He often looks like he's bowling dross but it's only cost him in one series.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well my thoughts on Johnson are well documented. I think its somewhat unfortunate, but statisticians and future generations of CW'ers will look upon him with rose-tinted glasses and consider him to be a far better bowler than he actually is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well my thoughts on Johnson are well documented. I think its somewhat unfortunate, but statisticians and future generations of CW'ers will look upon him with rose-tinted glasses and consider him to be a far better bowler than he actually is.
I think you under-rate him because he doesn't really make sense. I can see where you're coming from; I've been there. Eventually though you just have to realise that it's happened for so long that it can't be a fluke. Bowling is about taking cheap wickets and he does that better than most, even if he looks rubbish 80% of the time.

tooextracool

International Coach
I think you under-rate him because he doesn't really make sense. I can see where you're coming from; I've been there. Eventually though you just have to realise that it's happened for so long that it can't be a fluke. Bowling is about taking cheap wickets and he does that better than most, even if he looks rubbish 80% of the time.
He's taken a lot of wickets with just the fact that he's unusual and few batsmen have seen anything like him during their careers. A slingy, left handed bowler who slides it across the right handed batsman from over the wicket at a rapid pace.

However, i refuse to give someone credit just because he's unusual. Sorry, Murali was unusual but he bowled accurately and had a lot of skills and nuances that he developed over time. Johnson cant land 2 balls in the same vicinity, he doesn't get the ball to swing, his seam position is ordinary. Does he bowl well? No. Does he take wickets? Yes. You cant expect me to believe hes a good test match bowler simply because he has a well disguised slower ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's taken a lot of wickets with just the fact that he's unusual and few batsmen have seen anything like him during their careers. A slingy, left handed bowler who slides it across the right handed batsman from over the wicket at a rapid pace.

However, i refuse to give someone credit just because he's unusual. Sorry, Murali was unusual but he bowled accurately and had a lot of skills and nuances that he developed over time. Johnson cant land 2 balls in the same vicinity, he doesn't get the ball to swing, his seam position is ordinary. Does he bowl well? No. Does he take wickets? Yes. You cant expect me to believe hes a good test match bowler simply because he has a well disguised slower ball.
I expect you to believe he's a good Test match bowler because he takes cheap Test wickets. How he does it is frankly immaterial.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd prefer to call him an effective test match bowler rather than a good one. You cant be a good bowler if you dont bowl well.
Sorry but that's nonsense

The guy has taken about 130 test wickets in the last 2 years and literally EVERYBODY knows what he bowls so either:

a. he is much better than you give him credit for; or

b. the world's major test nations (notice how his record isnt padded) have a heap of absolutely ****e batsmen including one Rahul Dravid