• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf I had to order mid range clothes for my upcoming trip cos I’ll be ****ed if I’m going to trust bespoke items with Alan Joyce and QANTAS.

They do make good gear tbf

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Mate, some of us are old enough to remember when Arnie Sidebottom was a promising youngster.

EDIT
Well, a youngster, anyway.
Just imagine nowadays a Premier League player for Man U turning out for a county team in the summer.

It'd be like Scott McTominay being a useful seamer and lower order batter for Durham ?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just imagine nowadays a Premier League player for Man U turning out for a county team in the summer.

It'd be like Scott McTominay being a useful seamer and lower order batter for Durham ?
I'm trying to remember who played professionally as a cricketer and a footballer during my time. Arnie Sidebottom, as already mentioned. Chris Balderstone and Jim Cumbes back in the 1970s. I think Botham played a game or two for S****horpe, but that wasn't exactly a regular feature of his career. Before my time, I think Leslie Compton played for Arsenal and Middlesex. Maybe his brother Denis did too.

Burgey

I also wish to make it clear at this point I only purchased a pair of chinos because you aren’t allowed to wear jeans after 5pm on our cruise.

Posted now for when I inevitably put a pic on here of me wearing them and some smart arse **** quotes me saying they’re the uniform of wannabe Yank wankers

Last edited:

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
I'm trying to remember who played professionally as a cricketer and a footballer during my time. Arnie Sidebottom, as already mentioned. Chris Balderstone and Jim Cumbes back in the 1970s. I think Botham played a game or two for S****horpe, but that wasn't exactly a regular feature of his career. Before my time, I think Leslie Compton played for Arsenal and Middlesex. Maybe his brother Denis did too.
There have been quite a lot of professional English cricketer/footballers but mostly a long time ago. Among others from more recent times are David Bairstow and Joe Gatting.

Ames, Hammond, Hendren, Mead, Close, Micky Stewart and both Comptons played football professionally.

Geoff Hurst turned out for Essex.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There have been quite a lot of professional English cricketer/footballers but mostly a long time ago. Among others from more recent times are David Bairstow and Joe Gatting.

Ames, Hammond, Hendren, Mead, Close, Micky Stewart and both Comptons played football professionally.

I didn't know that Bairstow had played professional football; for Bradford City, as it turns out. I knew about Gatting, but had forgotten when I made my previous post.

Burgey

I think someone posted a Geoff Hurst scorecard on here one time. He batted nine or so and didn't bowl.

Still, dual-sporting guns are a bit of a hobby horse of mine, so I have a lot of respect of anyone who cracks it at FC level in cricket and/ or the equivalent in any other sport as well. regardless of era, if you can play at something approaching top level in two sports, you're in very, very rarefied air. You have a fella like Ray Lindwall who played rugby league for St George and City Firsts and is regarded as an ATG cricketer & Australian hero with it.

Then you have another fella like Anthony Mundine, who played State of Origin and international league, and won a world boxing title. For some reason he's not as popular, Can't possibly imagine why....

In any event, these people who rep at high level in,multiple sports are ****ing insanely talented. Massive respect to all of their athletic ability tbh.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think someone posted a Geoff Hurst scorecard on here one time. He batted nine or so and didn't bowl.

Still, dual-sporting guns are a bit of a hobby horse of mine, so I have a lot of respect of anyone who cracks it at FC level in cricket and/ or the equivalent in any other sport as well. regardless of era, if you can play at something approaching top level in two sports, you're in very, very rarefied air. You have a fella like Ray Lindwall who played rugby league for St George and City Firsts and is regarded as an ATG cricketer & Australian hero with it.

Then you have another fella like Anthony Mundine, who played State of Origin and international league, and won a world boxing title. For some reason he's not as popular, Can't possibly imagine why....

In any event, these people who rep at high level in,multiple sports are ****ing insanely talented. Massive respect to all of their athletic ability tbh.
Does Carey count for this? He played AFL at a fairly high level before committing to cricket full time in his mid 20's. Not sure the exact level he played at.

On that topic, shoutout to ellyse perry and ash Barty. Perry's basically the women's version of imran khan and was also good enough to play for the soceroos at a WC, while Barty is a fantastic tennis player and was good enough to do well in the WBBL in her off time.

Burgey

I think Carey was in the Giants system as a young bloke before they joined the AFL proper, but Sheedy told him he wasn't going to make it. Still obviously a very decent all round sports person.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Botham played for S****horpe in 1980
Yeah, I remember that happening at the time. Botham can't have been an absolutely terrible footballer, but my recollection is that it was a publicity stunt to attract more spectators and raise a bit of cash for the club.

Talking of Bothams, didn't his son play cricket and rugby union? I vaguely remember him taking wickets for Hampshire and one or two journalists getting excited about the latest new Botham. But I think he made more of a career out of playing rugby union.

Burgey

Yeah I think that's right on both counts. I thought he may have played some football to raise some dough as part of one of his charity walks, and I think his son was a very decent rah rah player from memory.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think that's right on both counts. I thought he (Botham) may have played some football to raise some dough as part of one of his charity walks ......
I wasn't sure about that, because his charity walks took place several years after he played for S****horpe.
But actually I think you may be right. This from Wikipedia:

Botham was a talented footballer but, believing he was better at cricket, he chose the latter for his full-time career. Even so, he played football as a centre-half from 1978 to 1985 for Yeovil Town and S****horpe United.[147] He made eleven appearances in the Football League for S****horpe.[148] While with Yeovil, Botham made an appearance for the Football Association XI (a representative side for non-League footballers) against the Northern Football League at Croft Park during the 1984–85 season.[149]

Yeovil Town are non-league of course, but, even so, he must have been a bit better at football that I thought.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Admirable restraint from @Pothas not pointing out that we've all forgotten Hampshire's Keith Barker, who was on the books at Blackburn but eventually played first team football in Division 2 for Rochdale.