• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2022 World Cup

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The BBC have now moved on to shock results. Some of it a little embarrassing. Scotland 3 Netherlands 2 in 1978 for instance. "game deadlocked at 2-2 with 20 minutes left". Put some effort in at least.

Top 10 World Cup upsets - BBC Sport
Very poor. Even at 3-1 though Scotland still needed another goal too, I believe?

& it wasn't even that massive a shock, IMHO.

Yer Sweaties had admittedly stunk out the tournament until that game, but they had qualified for it ahead of Czechoslovakia, then European champions, who'd reached the final by beating (hey!) the Netherlands in the semi.

Also, how is East Germany beating West Germany more of a shock than Algeria beating them in 82?!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Very poor. Even at 3-1 though Scotland still needed another goal too, I believe?

Yer Sweaties had admittedly stunk out the tournament until that game, but they had qualified for it ahead of Czechoslovakia, then European champions, who'd reached the final by beating (hey!) the Netherlands in the semi.

Also, how is East Germany beating West Germany more of a shock than Algeria beating them in 82?!
As good a goal as it was in its own right it was the fact that it put Scotland within touching distance that made for the drama.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

The biggest shock from our campaign was the draw against Iran. Beating the Netherlands was well within our capabilities at the time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is not worthy of a new thread and doesn't really fit anywhere, so I'll regress to the road thread.

I think it's safe to say that the BBC Sport website has lots of Japanese and Australian readers judging by the Group stage XI they chose.

Sid.jpg

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Someone has worked out that England can still win the trophy. I don't know if it's factually accurate and it's too stupid to bother trying to check......... but if the four remaining teams have enough players sent off that means that the games have to be abandoned they would all be disqualified and the tournament would be won by the quarter-finalist with the best disciplinary record.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Someone has worked out that England can still win the trophy. I don't know if it's factually accurate and it's too stupid to bother trying to check......... but if the four remaining teams have enough players sent off that means that the games have to be abandoned they would all be disqualified and the tournament would be won by the quarter-finalist with the best disciplinary record.
Winning world cups on trivial technicalities is known to be the English way.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I’d take it