• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2022 World Cup

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to believe this is only two weeks away with the PL in full swing. It’s going to be awful. Good old FIFA corruption. :santa:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay to keep this off the football forum, who we picking England fans:

Actually I was writing this out and lost the will to live wehen thinking of the defence, **** me, bring back Terry Fenwick....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Okay to keep this off the football forum, who we picking England fans:

Actually I was writing this out and lost the will to live wehen thinking of the defence, **** me, bring back Terry Fenwick....
Yeah, the defence doesn't exactly inspire confidence, especially with James and Walker crocked. My biggest issue with playing 3 at the back is who the heck is there to play alongside Stones and Dier? So I'll pick them to start with, as well as Pickford of course. Shaw is an easy pick now that Chilwell is out. Trippier on the right. Rice and Bellingham, obviously. Saka and Foden either side of Kane. Probably Mount as the final pick.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, the defence doesn't exactly inspire confidence, especially with James and Walker crocked. My biggest issue with playing 3 at the back is who the heck is there to play alongside Stones and Dier? So I'll pick them to start with, as well as Pickford of course. Shaw is an easy pick now that Chilwell is out. Trippier on the right. Rice and Bellingham, obviously. Saka and Foden either side of Kane. Probably Mount as the final pick.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with that, it's just odd we're in a situation we're playing 3 centre backs when we've only got one good one in Stones. Which is part of the reason I wish we weren't wedded to this system. Just don't see how he won't play Sterling and Maguire though, and that just makes it horrid. Go on surprise me Gareth.

Ah well, We can boycott the latter rounds on moral grounds...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I haven't seen any "It's coming home!" dribble from Corrin so far. Are England traveling that badly these days (not that it's stopped him before)?
I’ll get up for it I’m sure but the League 2 season continues so it’s a fairly surreal thing at the minute

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
God, this is appalling. Just accept that everyone will be singing "Three Lions Football's coming home" and save the bother of trying to come up with something new.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's so weird; I can't ever recall being less enthused about a WC, even 1994 when England played no active part in. Can't quite get my head around it starting in less than a fortnight.

Having it in (northern hemisphere) autumn and, consequently, bang in the middle of the season, is just all kinds of wrong.

ashley bach

International Captain
Hopefully you'll get a bit more of a buzz in just over a week's time when it gets close to game time, then get into it when the tournament begins.
There's every chance however there'll be some disappointment before the end, and we may just have to all accept that 1966 was just a complete fluke.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sure I'll be in the local with my older brother for the England games and I'll be up for them but honestly, with TRFC playing throughout it will take on a completely different form than usual. When England play in the regular season, it kind of creeps up on me and I'm like 'oh I'll watch England tonight'. At the end of the day it's a World Cup so it won't quite be like that but honestly my focus will most likely be TRFC first. Club v country is a silly debate, but if TRFC and England games wound up clashing (theoretically possible; if we finish 2nd in the group then it clashes directly with Northampton V Tranmere - I say theoretically because I'd be shocked if the EFL didn't move it) I'm pretty sure I'd prioritise Tranmere. But ultimately it would just serve to ruin both games for me because whichever I watched I'd also be fixated on what happened in the other.

I know the angle is slightly different for Prem/Champ clubs but the season abruptly stopping is so bizarre. And I know players getting injured in a summer WC can impact a season as well, but for example if Arsenal lose a key player right while they're sat at the top of the league, it just seems so much more disruptive happening in an autumn WC.

All that being said, if England somehow did win it would make for a great Xmas

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Qatar hosting world cup a mistake sez Blatter.

I mean, firstly, well, durrr.

And secondly, he presumably said it just after wiping his arse with a 1 million Swiss Franc bill after having shat into his platinum bog.

But his dissatisfaction isn't because Qatar is a serial human rights abusing autocracy with no football pedigree and average summer temperatures that wouldn't embarrass Mercury, oh no; because it's "too small".

Obviously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In fairness, even if it was perfect on all the other issues, it is too small. But hardly the thing to worry about at this stage…

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In fairness, even if it was perfect on all the other issues, it is too small. But hardly the thing to worry about at this stage…
Yeah, I mean Kim Jong-un does have a twatty haircut, but it's probably not #1 in the list of reasons why he's not 100% sound.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Qatar hosting world cup a mistake sez Blatter.

I mean, firstly, well, durrr.

And secondly, he presumably said it just after wiping his arse with a 1 million Swiss Franc bill after having shat into his platinum bog.

But his dissatisfaction isn't because Qatar is a serial human rights abusing autocracy with no football pedigree and average summer temperatures that wouldn't embarrass Mercury, oh no; because it's "too small".

Obviously.
Well he says he (somehow) doesn’t regret giving the 2018 one to Russia, so size might just be the only reason he can give that’ll avoid some obvious questions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well he says he (somehow) doesn’t regret giving the 2018 one to Russia, so size might just be the only reason he can give that’ll avoid some obvious questions.
Yeah, very likely right. Plus he can't semi-plausibly pass the blame parcel to Platini like he could with Qatar.

Everything else aside Russia is literally the biggest country on earth and does have a decent football pedigree (albeit mostly as part of the USSR, propped up by Ukrainian talent), but Qatar? Not so much.