• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 1 - Pakistan v West Indies

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spark

Global Moderator
I know.. it's true though. His current contribution is 39 off 97, it essentially means the rest of the team need to score 39 less runs from 97 less balls, is that really contributing anything, even under such extreme circumstances? Does he make any difference? He also played a particularly poor innings against Ireland..

I guess he could still come good at the death though..
Strike rate makes people lose their mind at times. If he'd got out early, that would mean that one end wasn't blocked up as it is now, and we'd probably see 60ao or something like it.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They'd probably be 55 all out right now without him, so he's definitely worth his place in this particular game.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well, if WI can stretch out what NZ did in 5 overs to 10 overs they'll end up with about 300 :ph34r:

Rifat

Cricket Spectator
Stadium almost full. Bangladesh should have gotten more matches i think.
The crowds come even when BD not playing, great atmosphere.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeh, right now it's better to score 3 runs an over for the rest of the game than to be all out within 3 even scoring at a run a ball.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I know.. it's true though. His current contribution is 39 off 97, it essentially means the rest of the team need to score 39 less runs from 97 less balls, is that really contributing anything, even under such extreme circumstances? Does he make any difference? He also played a particularly poor innings against Ireland..

:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

You're taking your anti Dravid and Clarke theories to the extreme on this one.

If a team is collapsing to the extent that WI have collapsed here surely he gets some leeway.

vcs

Now if these two could scratch out another 35-40 runs in the last 9 overs, WI might just about have something that they can bowl at. Probably too little, too late though.

EDIT : And there goes Roach.

Spark

Global Moderator

If a team is collapsing to the extent that WI have collapsed here surely he gets some leeway.
Yeah indeed. Slow SR's make sense when you have A. underutilisation of resources leading to less runs than you could have or B. scoring pressure leading to silly shots in the cause for boundaries (ironically, we saw a fine example of that the other day with one of the most often mentioned players, but not in the usual way). Neither of these has happened.

And Roach goes. Showed more fight than most of his team combined and then some tbh.

Uppercut

Strike rate makes people lose their mind at times. If he'd got out early, that would mean that one end wasn't blocked up as it is now, and we'd probably see 60ao or something like it.
Yeah, maybe, you could definitely argue that the pressure built up by the pace of the Shiv/Sarwan partnership played a part in causing the collapse though.

More to the point, 110/9 is nominally better than 60ao but they essentially mean the same thing the same thing: game over. Is it worth it to keep a player around to salvage the former from the latter? And he's still batting defensively- if he did this in a test match he'd be criticised for playing negatively with the tail.

I know it's a strange choice of player to criticise, but this is where Shiv is supposed to make a difference. Pollard etc. aren't really in the team for these situations, Shiv is, and he's helping a little but essentially isn't changing anything.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well you kind of need two players to bat. Pressure wasn't the cause of this dismissal - being park-standard against spin was the cause.

Oh well.

Last edited:

vcs

Afridi is pretty lethal against the tail. Reminds me of Kumble.

Keeps his campaign for Man of the Series alive with another 4-wicket haul.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I think it's just that he's scoring so slowly, even for a situation as dire as this. A Dravidesque strike rate would be perfectly okay, but that pace is just insanely slow, if he batted like that with the tail in a test match he'd be criticised heavily. No matter how deep the poo his team is in, facing 1/3 of the balls bowled for 44 runs just won't help, ever.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think it's just that he's scoring so slowly, even for a situation as dire as this. A Dravidesque strike rate would be perfectly okay, but that pace is just insanely slow, if he batted like that with the tail in a test match he'd be criticised heavily. No matter how deep the poo his team is in, facing 1/3 of the balls bowled for 44 runs just won't help, ever.
Poor assessment. Pakistan wasn't bowling pies. If he had risked his hand and gotten out (as human cricketers tend to find happening sometimes) WI would undoubtedly have scored less than 100. He bedded Roach into the crease, and scored almost half the entire total. Get off it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
you could definitely argue that the pressure built up by the pace of the Shiv/Sarwan partnership played a part in causing the collapse though.
I really don't see how. Sarwan played a bad shot, but he was just as bad as Shiv.

I am happy to criticise Shiv and Sarwan a bit during their partnership. But after Sarwan's wicket Shiv just saw his teammates come and disappear.