• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Heboric

International Debutant
Have never been a fan of the completely dominant superstar routine. Its a well they go to way too often and it always is a temporary fix at best coz it leaves you with bigger problems at the end than you had at the start.
I agree with this, thats why I groaned when a certain person appeared on Raw. I have nothing against her, but nice for something fresh

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There has always been a dominant superstar though. Certainly in the WWF/E anyway. It's just that during some periods they've done better/worse jobs of managing strength in depth.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There has always been a dominant superstar though. Certainly in the WWF/E anyway. It's just that during some periods they've done better/worse jobs of managing strength in depth.
A dominant is different to completely dominant though. Also, the length of the runs matter. HBK was portrayed as this unstoppable babyface for like 8 months before they pulled the plug on that. And even there, he had the match with Mankind where he put him over basically. And even Goldust. I just dont think you get anything from a Triple H 2002-2005 or Lesnar 201X kinda runs. You always have dominant superstars but making them look this invincible this often just makes it boring, for me. Even Cena at his peak of fruity pebbles run made others look strong now and then. Those were the better runs IMO.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, the length of the runs matter.
I think this is indeed key. I also think it's harder to have a dominant heel on top for a long period of time, so no surprise you've picked HHH and Lesnar as your examples of a dominant star working out badly. (I don't think it's such a problem for a top face like Cena/Austin/Hogan etc. to have a long run.)

I think a top heel act is fine for a while if you book them well and build up a new star in the meantime to credibly beat them for title before the heel act runs out of steam. I guess the problem is trusting WWE to book things well. (Didn't happen with HHH who was on top far too long and didn't act vulnerable enough to make his challengers look good. The initial Lesnar superpush where he completely squashed Cena for the title would've worked if he'd put Reigns over back at 'Mania 31(?), but they moved straight on to a different, long heel run (from Rollins) and no one got the benefit of beating Lesnar. Then I understand Lesnar got the belt again later for ages with no obvious endgame which might be more what you're referring to, but I'd stopped watching by then....)

Mike5181

International Captain
Mass releases from WWE today.

List so far: Samoa Joe, Mickie James, Peyton Royce, Billie Kay, Kalisto, Bo Dallas, Chelsea Green, Tucker, Wesley Blake.

Meanwhile AEW did 1.2 million in the ratings.

Niall

International Coach
I'm assuming Joe is on massive money and as he barely wrestles and gets a lot of injuries they canned him.

Still would not have advised it, plenty to be done with him behind the scenes and he can work a feud or two.

The Ilconics were great personalities but poor workers, but still when trash like Nia, Tamina and Natalya ( I'm related to Bret) have a job they can be aggrieved.

I'm not as familiar with the others released bar Bo as others so don't know if any will draw money elsewhere.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Kalisto, the Iiconics and Samoa Joe should all bounce back strongly from this. Mickie James probably will too.

Don't quite agree that Peyton Royce is a poor worker, think she's solid in the ring while Billie is the one who struggles. But Billie is the hilarious one so they made a good team.

Niall

International Coach
It is a real shame Joe never held either of the big WWE titles. He had some great main event feuds

He had an odd sort of WWE career run, he was relatively well pushed and had plenty of main card feuds but should have got a title run sometime, but their is numerous other dudes who went over to the E who would have loved his career.

He also did have injuries which didn't help.

Mojo released, pretty sad obviously but like a lot of the people released (bar Joe and to a lesser extent IIconics) I don't think the E will lose sleep over them been elsewhere down the line.

Dream surviving is interesting, he has been lucky he has not performed in front of fans due to covid but nonetheless he can't ever be properly pushed as the blowback would be intense.

I don't know what the plan is their with him, not as if these allegations are never going to be off public interest.

Niall

International Coach
As always I am behind everyone!

Finally started watching dark side of the ring this weekend. The Pillman 2 parter was excellent, his son seems like a wonderful bloke , dunno how good of a wrestler he is but really hope he makes a shed load of money in ACW

Martha Hart also came across as a genuinely amazing person, loved how she has told Vince to go **** himself for so long.

Also the Heyman v Russo rivalry is at times hilarious how petty it is. I do actually think Russo does come across as the more likeable of the two, yeah Cornette knows his stuff, but ****ing hell its only wrestling.

Finished the Benoit one also, very good, I don't want Chris ever in the HOF , but as some suggested Nancy more than deserves to be their especially considering the many mediocrities that are their. I'd hope someday they rectify that.