• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Teja.

Global Moderator
Judgment Day '02 was one of my favourite PPVs as a kid, mainly for the Trips-Jericho Hell in a Cell match. That said, WWE managed to not do much at all with what, on paper, was an awesome roster around that time.

Constant title switches kinda sucked too. Trips was ****-hot after his Royal Rumble return and he drops it to an old man, a month after he wins the WM main event? Wut?
Man, I loved these PPVs as a kid when I was 7-8 years old and a huge hogan mark. Trips popularity faded in part due to the inability of the WWF to build Jericho as a legit guy who could take on HHH IMO. If they build up Jericho properly as a truly despicable, formidable heel as opposed to a 'funky' figure and had HHH win a war against Y2J in WM as opposed to the weak stuff with focus on Steph, HHH could've worked out better IMO.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Jericho so should have won that match though.
Haha, I didn't remember the result of the match and even though I knew how highly unlikely a Jericho win would be considering how protected HHH's booking has been post-2001, I was rooting hard for Jeircho. Brutal stuff, could've totally given it to Y2J in several spots in the match without making HHH look weak. Jericho needed the win way more.

Cool write up again Teja.
Thanks man, this is actually surprisingly fun when I have a bunch of free time to kill.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, whilst the match itself wasn't a squash by any stretch, I don't think there was anyone in the world that believed Jericho had a cat in hell's chance of winning. And as is often said, the fact that it went on after Rock and Hogan meant that it was doomed from the get go.

Like you say, the build up was terrible and really didn't help things. There was that really stupid angle where they tried to get heat on Jericho by putting him in a segment where he had to pick up the **** of HHH's dog (which he then ran over with a car, iirc). Way to make a main event talent look good hey?

I don't hate on Jericho as a heel and holding the undisputed title as much as I used to, but there were so many small things that if they had done better would have made it just seem so much better for mine. For a start, I don't see why they felt the need to have Jericho grow that ridiculous and stupid goatee, and have him start wearing ring attire that would look more suited to Disco Inferno. They could have just kept him as the same character he was when he was a face (and got over really well) but played up other aspects of it, but instead they made him look like a joke, and everything just went downhill. The fact that he then just started losing to everyone meant his credibility was shot, and imo he didn't really recover from that until he left the company and came back in 2008.
Screw you! Those tights were awesome.

Everything else you've said is completely right though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In 2002. Didn't he win the title at Judgment Day from Hogan as a heel? I'm pretty sure he did right?

And then suddenly he's a face again by Unforgiven / No Mercy when he's wrestling Brock who is heel champ.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In 2002. Didn't he win the title at Judgment Day from Hogan as a heel? I'm pretty sure he did right?

And then suddenly he's a face again by Unforgiven / No Mercy when he's wrestling Brock who is heel champ.
Yeah he turned heel after the invasion as part of some respect thing.

I can't remember why he turned face but I think people just didn't want to boo Taker

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
A shame, really thought a non-Deadman Taker made for a great heel.

Also I guess they flipped Trips to heel so needed to change Taker to face. Plus they wanted him to put Lesnar over and that could only happen with him as a face

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of Eddie's death. Oh god, feel so emotional just thinking about it, I loved him so much.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of Eddie's death. Oh god, feel so emotional just thinking about it, I loved him so much.
:(

I know its a meme in this thread etc. but this was a major blow for me, never really recovered as a fan.

True story: Modelled my hair on his mullet back in 2002. It was as horrendous as you can imagine. Shaved the sideburns and all.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woah @ Solomonster picking Kurt Angle over Bret as an overall better pro wrestler. Surprising tstl since he's a massive Bret fanboy.

duffer

To this day my dream match would be Kurt vs Bret, I don't see anything scandalous about picking either of them tbh. Kurt was probably more versatlie with his personality, as in he could do comedy while Bret wasn't funny at all (or maybe Bret wasn't given the same chances/material as Kurt). Other than that it's a wash.

duffer

:(

I know its a meme in this thread etc. but this was a major blow for me, never really recovered as a fan.

True story: Modelled my hair on his mullet back in 2002. It was as horrendous as you can imagine. Shaved the sideburns and all.
Heh, a part of me wants to see pics but it's probably best if you don't post them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Woah @ Solomonster picking Kurt Angle over Bret as an overall better pro wrestler. Surprising tstl since he's a massive Bret fanboy.
Not that shocking imo I love Bret but Kurt is definitely the overall better package. Had more range and that is basically how he justified it.

I agree though that he is a massive BRet fan so it shows just why he is so awesome at the buy vs. sell questions he does. Gives great answers and justifies them for like 5-10 mins.

I guess you can say Kurt never carried WWE as the main guy whereas Bret did (albeit in a poor era for WWE). Kurt carried TNA but doesn't count the same.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not that shocking imo I love Bret but Kurt is definitely the overall better package. Had more range and that is basically how he justified it.

I agree though that he is a massive BRet fan so it shows just why he is so awesome at the buy vs. sell questions he does. Gives great answers and justifies them for like 5-10 mins.
Oh I'm not saying it' shocking to pick Kurt over Bret. I'm the biggest Kurt fan you can get. Favourite wrestler of all time after Flair and HBK. I just thought it was surprising that he picked Kurt seeing that Bret is his all time favourite.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
yeah fair enough. I dunno I see solo as smart enough to separate what is objectively better for business vs. what he likes.