• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pool A Discussion

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Pakistan already beaten, seeing India today and England back in the VB, I think it would be fair to say that the super six birth rests with the three matches these teams will play against each other.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
And on how well India and Pakistan fare against Zimbabwe.

Already a few matches have been won by a single big innings. Zimbabwe cannot be written off.

Pakistan being beaten is no big deal. They played against a better team who were expected to beat them.

Pool A situation no different from where it started..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Sachin opening - that's a bit of a turn-up.

But no AA, when will they see his greatness?!
Seeing how we struggled against even Holland without him, I'm sure they will bring him back for the remaining matches. Cheer up, Marc.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
anilramavarma said:
Seeing how we struggled against even Holland without him, I'm sure they will bring him back for the remaining matches. Cheer up, Marc.
<quack> please please please please please

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
*anyone but Ajit*
is the motto for most people I talked to in recent times :D

What's the right thing to do... drop one of Harbhajan and Kumble to play a paceman or to go with the four best bowlers in the camp..

Sachin Sehwag and Saurav will bat 1,2,3.
Saurav said the two best form players will open.. shouldnt that make it Sachin and Sehwag?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
full_length said:
*anyone but Ajit*

What's the right thing to do... drop one of Harbhajan and Kumble to play a paceman or to go with the four best bowlers in the camp..

Sachin Sehwag and Saurav will bat 1,2,3.
Saurav said the two best form players will open.. shouldnt that make it Sachin and Sehwag?
Drop Harb or Kumble and accomodate a paceman? Who? Nehra or Agarkar? Both on current form could prove more expensive than the spinners. I say, go with the best available bowlers. We know it's not much, but anything less than that will be just not enough considering the brittle form displayed by the batsmen in recent times and the fact that our next opponents are the awesome Aussies.

Sachin, Virender and Saurav should be the first three batsmen. As for openers, Sachin and Saurav might not be a bad idea given the right-left combination could prove unsettling for the bowlers and if both of them play at a level approaching their best, they are the best opening combo in the world in ODIs.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
They are the best combination in ODI cricket.
And the right-left combination is definitely a plus.
I was only wondering about how much Sehwag's game is going to be affected. One must remember that Viru is still relatively inexperienced and he's done all the good work at the top.

That's what makes the choice difficult. I suppose this must have been the line of thought for coach and captain to make the statement that Sachin will play at 3.

As for the bowlers: yup four best bowlers sounds good. It's probably the best choice.
I only hope that Saurav bowls well here. Otherwise, we will be relying on 30 overs of spin as none of the other part timers bowl medium pace. We can expect to give away some 60 runs through the fifth bowler.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It's difficult to tell what effect it will have on Sehwag. I guess Sachin is good enough and flexible enough to bat at No: 3 if Sehwag finds it uncomfortable.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
All hail AA!!!!!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Suppose all of us sign a petition and present it to the team management, do you think they might bring him back......???:P

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
If all of us sign a petition, will England take him?

It would be most fitting... the next Botham :D

I guess he'd manage to find form against India!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
full_length said:
If all of us sign a petition, will England take him?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps the next Corky. I'd support him. Perhaps he could be Derbyshire's overseas 'star' in a year or two.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps the next Corky. I'd support him. Perhaps he could be Derbyshire's overseas 'star' in a year or two.
Wow! If it were only possible.....!!! [sigh]

yohanna

Banned
full_length said:
*anyone but Ajit*

And my motto is "anyone but Afridi"!!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well, the Indians are planning to make Bangar the fifth bowler by replacing Kaif with him. Shouldn't make much of a difference because Kaif was totally off-colour anyway. Bangar's bowling, if it clicks will be a bonus.