• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in Dubai

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So that one innings has taken AB's average from 45 to 48? Oof.
Hope he can really press on and start making consistently huge runs. He's been hovering at the level *just* below the best batsmen in the world for a year or two now and he definitely has the ability to join it IMO.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely. He was always my favourite batsman in the SA lineup even from his early years (in terms of fun to watch). His output has been truly world class since 2008.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Excluding minnows, De Villiers has scored 2348 runs @ 75.74 in his last 25 Tests. That's seriously awesome, especially for someone who plays half his Tests in South Africa.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't wait for Amla or someone to break AB's top score...by 2 or so runs. By 2050 the highest SA score will be about 293*, with the second highest being 292*

fezzie

Cricket Spectator
guys im tellin you now. AB is the real deal and will be rated higher than KP and Michael Clarke. lets not forget he was awarded the ODI player of the year as well.

phenomenal in tests and ODI and 20-20's.

Just like how ppl talk abt sachin and ponting and forget kallis.

exciting times for SA fans with Amla and AB.

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
His average at home is 36.
What has it been in the last 2-3 years period that he has been high quality? Suspect it will be better.

Good innings but sullied for mine by the poor umpiring that allowed him to get there. All made worse by the fact that Pakistan are still copping the worst of it in this series.

Blaze 18

Banned
What has it been in the last 2-3 years period that he has been high quality? Suspect it will be better.

Good innings but sullied for mine by the poor umpiring that allowed him to get there. All made worse by the fact that Pakistan are still copping the worst of it in this series.
Pakistan have had the worst of the umpiring in this match, but if you take the whole tour into account it becomes much closer; Pakistan may have even had the better of it.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
anyone else think its about time gul was dropped from the pak team?

a new guy comes in on his debut and takes 6 wickets - so whats guls excuse?

he is too inconsistent, he has had all the time and matches to establish himself and realise this potential he is meant to have.

Blaze 18

Banned
Umar Gul bowled a brilliant match turning spell in the last game. I don't see why he should be dropped after one bad innings. Besides, Wahab Riaz took a fiver on debut just a couple of tests ago. He is not even in the side now!

That is exactly the problem with Pakistan. They do not persist with players. Virtually no-one is a certainty in the Pakistan side. I read somewhere that Pakistan have changed as many captains in 2010 as Australia have over the last two decades. That says it all.

Last edited:

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Umar Gul bowled a brilliant match turning spell in the last game. I don't see why he should be dropped after one bad innings. Besides, Wahab Riaz took a fiver on debut just a couple of tests ago. He is not even in the side now!

That is exactly the problem with Pakistan. They do not persist with players. Virtually no-one is a certainty in the Pakistan side. I read somewhere that Pakistan have changed as many captains in 2010 as Australia have over the last two decades. That says it all.
riaz is injured

look at guls record, its pretty average

now and again he can come up with the goods but when he is bad he can get tonked all over the place, like this innings, he is far too hot and cold for my liking, not a good enough return for all the faith the selectors have put in him.

when i say drop him what i really mean is give him a chance to iron out the kinks in his bowling, like inconsistent line and length, because there is something there

Shifter

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Pakistan have had the worst of the umpiring in this match, but if you take the whole tour into account it becomes much closer; Pakistan may have even had the better of it.
If you can I'd like you to count the instances of umpiring decisions going in favor of each team so far. By my count its SA in the lead by some distance. The only instance I can think of atm in the whole series that SA can feel aggrieved about is Amla's.

AB survived a nick and a stone dead LBW appeal. Kallis survived an LBW appeal from Sami which was also plumb.

In the first match first innings I remember every decision going SA's way too. Smith survived many 50-50 LBW shouts (at least 3, and some could rightly argue that some of the shouts were more than 50-50). Petersen also survived an edge. Those are just some of the decisions I remember.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Good debut by Tanvir Ahmed. How is this guy's bowling?

And Sami is playing again :-O And with similar result :laugh:

Blaze 18

Banned
If you can I'd like you to count the instances of umpiring decisions going in favor of each team so far. By my count its SA in the lead by some distance. The only instance I can think of atm in the whole series that SA can feel aggrieved about is Amla's.

AB survived a nick and a stone dead LBW appeal. Kallis survived an LBW appeal from Sami which was also plumb.

In the first match first innings I remember every decision going SA's way too. Smith survived many 50-50 LBW shouts (at least 3, and some could rightly argue that some of the shouts were more than 50-50). Petersen also survived an edge. Those are just some of the decisions I remember.
I was talking about the whole tour, not just the test series. Pakistan had quite a few going in their favour during the T20's and ODI's.

If we are talking about the test series only then Pakistan have had the worst of the umpiring. I can recall only three decisions that have gone in favour of Pakistan in the test series : Smith and Peterson were wrongly given out in the second innings of the first test and Hashim Amla was given out wrongly in this match. Everything else has gone in favour of South Africa.