• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I see the FC side of things, but thats experience. Astle is 28 and arguably should be in bowling prime, most things should be figured out and its just a matter of pure execution. Ish has shown more than anyone else in recent times at that young an age, the last investment spin wise New Zealand made was Vettori.
Yeah but Vettori was a lot closer to being international class when he was selected than Sodhi is. And there's no reason why Sodhi can't develop in FC and A cricket. I agree he's ahead of pretty much all other NZ spin bowlers his age, but that alone shouldn't be justification for playing him in the test side.

Flem274*

123/5
he's there because he's got some tools and has the biggest pay off if he succeeds. the powers that be figure below par finger spinners are going to be much less likely to make it than a bloke who can bowl wicket taking deliveries on any surface.

it began as a hail mary punt which weakened the team considerably but he's shown signs in this test match that he's improving. fingers are crossed.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
But doesn't ish average around 50 now? :shock: people have had a go at Narine his test stats and yet seem to turn a blind eye when it comes to young Ish...no point being in denial...he's either good enough or he's not.
For a West Indian you sure do rate your spinners, I admire the loyalty. I'm not one to have a go at Narine for his Test stats, as he personally never interests me as a bowler. I'm not in denial, quite frankly, its hard being a leg spinner. Ask Stuart McGill who bowled more bad balls than what most people thought an international leggie should, but he has a great Test record. Ish being one of the only threats in a completely lifeless deck justifies his selection especially regarding the balance of the bowling attack.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Now Craig has been found out who else is there to step in Bahnz? will Jeets come back?
I read an article the other day where Jeets mentioned that he's been in touch with the New Zealand selectors and made clear that he's still keen to play international cricket should an opportunity arise. I don't hink he's likely to play any part this season, but if Craig and Sodhi continue to bomb then there's a distinct possibility that he'll get a callup for the tour of England next year, given his massive experience of bowling in English conditions.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Unlikely but possible. We have no spinners of any quality at all tbh.
In the short term that's why it's vital that Southee and Boult kick into gear in these next two games...looking further forward i guess it's a waiting game..finding quality spinners seems to be a problem for most teams around these days bar two or three sides.

Last edited:

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
he's there because he's got some tools and has the biggest pay off if he succeeds. the powers that be figure below par finger spinners are going to be much less likely to make it than a bloke who can bowl wicket taking deliveries on any surface.

it began as a hail mary punt which weakened the team considerably but he's shown signs in this test match that he's improving. fingers are crossed.
This is exactly it. You can't teach guys wicket taking deliveries but you can definitely work on consistency with Ish, It will come with experience.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Yeah but Vettori was a lot closer to being international class when he was selected than Sodhi is. And there's no reason why Sodhi can't develop in FC and A cricket. I agree he's ahead of pretty much all other NZ spin bowlers his age, but that alone shouldn't be justification for playing him in the test side.
I agree with your post. I think he's still a greenhorn to be relied upon to consistently deliver at Test level and he needs those consistent seasons of good performances, so its more a matter of execution when he does play Test cricket, rather than learning slowly whilst getting your confidence sapped and the harsh way for a leggie.

I'm just trying to make a point about the contextual situation with regards to spin in NZ, which plays a huge part in him being in the Test side, and that he gets bagged for reasons that are not his entire doing.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, Rahat's reverse a real chance of exploiting Kane's backfoot angled back prod if he can get it in the right spot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As much as we've bagged him for looking rubbish at times, this has been a good test for Anderson. Hard working and reasonably accurate with the ball, and punishing (if unpolished) with the bat.

Flametree

International 12th Man
In 80 years of test cricket NZ has produced seven test spinners who averaged under 40, (Vettori, Boock, Bracewell, Howarth, Burtt, Yuile and Alabaster - don't think I've missed anyone) and none under 33. With Anderson or Neesham and Watling at 6 and 7, I think all we're after is a spinner to average 40-ish with the ball and be good enough to bat at 8. On some pitches we might go for a defensive, Dipak Patel-ish spinner who can keep it tight while the seamers rest, on others I think we'd like a more attacking leg-spinner. Sodhi seems to fill the bill at present.

And as I've been writing that, we've lost two more wickets. Hmm. I really did think NZ would play a bit better than this.

Sarfraz showing Watling how to make a regulation stumping as well...