• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Any predictions for the team tomorrow,it could be anyone's guess:laugh:

My Prediction

Mohammed Hafeez
Kamran Akmal
Younis Khan
Mohammed Yousuf
Inzamam ul-Haq
Shoaib Malik
Abdul Razzaq
Shahid Afridi
Azhar Mahmood
Naved ul-Hasan
Mohammed Asif

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Australia at its best > South Africa at its best in ODI cricket.

Just the way it is, and I can't see how it can be argued tbh.
Australia at its best > Rest of World XI in both forms.

Not that I go by the rest of world matches that were played but assuming the rest of world really did pick their best and gave them time to work together, they still wouldn't beat Australia in a five match test series IMO. It might be close, like 3-2 maybe, but they wouldn't win, especially not on Australian soil.

FRAZ

International Captain
Australia at its best > Rest of World XI in both forms.

Legend ! I think that what Australia displays is exactly what a true "TEAM" means .It's not like Australia always has the most superb players and player-wise currently I will rank Srilanka on top of Australia but team-wise it's a different story . "The pack of hounds who hunt together" is a great statement by a deprived Kiwi player .Player-wise Wasim's team was the best that one wishes to have in the recent times . Let me recall one particular incident when there was a mis-communication b/w I****** and Wajahatullah Wasti while taking a run and eventually this fat man got himself run-out .And the way this particular individual scolded and shouted right in the middle of the pitch reflects a true version of stupidity and un-teamly attitude .

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Legend ! I think that what Australia displays is exactly what a true "TEAM" means .It's not like Australia always has the most superb players and player-wise currently I will rank Srilanka on top of Australia but team-wise it's a different story . "The pack of hounds who hunt together" is a great statement by a deprived Kiwi player .Player-wise Wasim's team was the best that one wishes to have in the recent times . Let me recall one particular incident when there was a mis-communication b/w I****** and Wajahatullah Wasti while taking a run and eventually this fat man got himself run-out .And the way this particular individual scolded and shouted right in the middle of the pitch reflects a true version of stupidity and un-teamly attitude .
Haha, Sri Lanka? They are short in a few key positions IMO. They have no reliable third quick bowler, their wicket keeper is horrible and their middle order (or opening position, if you slot Atapattu down the order..) is weak. It's not just a case of them not performing to the best of their abilities or not working as a team as you are suggesting - they just aren't that good.

FRAZ

International Captain
Haha, Sri Lanka? They are short in a few key positions IMO. They have no reliable third quick bowler, their wicket keeper is horrible and their middle order (or opening position, if you slot Atapattu down the order..) is weak. It's not just a case of them not performing to the best of their abilities or not working as a team as you are suggesting - they just aren't that good.
Well I believe that they have some horrible key positions to be filled up but still I'll always rank Sangakara , Jayasuriya , Jayawardene , Murali , Vaas as A+ class players and I guess that it's always good to have so many A + players in the side along with an A (Atapatu) plus a couple of B+ youngsters or seasonal players .Having some horrible youngsters is a common thing now a days and do you think that Srilankan problems are way over Pakistan right now ? Srilankan problems are there and I never denied that, but still look at the stats and IMHO Murali ,Vaas and Sangakara will make my Asian team always .....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I believe that they have some horrible key positions to be filled up but still I'll always rank Sangakara , Jayasuriya , Jayawardene , Murali , Vaas as A+ class players and I guess that it's always good to have so many A + players in the side along with an A (Atapatu) plus a couple of B+ youngsters or seasonal players .Having some horrible youngsters is a common thing now a days and do you think that Srilankan problems are way over Pakistan right now ? Srilankan problems are there and I never denied that, but still look at the stats and IMHO Murali ,Vaas and Sangakara will make my Asian team always .....
What does any of that have to do with how good their players are in comparison to Australia?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Any predictions for the team tomorrow,it could be anyone's guess:laugh:
Well as far as predictions go I think they're just going to bring in Rao for Sami, and I agree that they shouldn't make too many wholesale changes this close to the World Cup. However, I think that they should bring in Hameed for Hafeez and move Shoaib Malik up to open alongside Hameed.

FRAZ

International Captain
What does any of that have to do with how good their players are in comparison to Australia?
First of all IMHO some times records on paper don't just reflect the true story of how a certain player actually is . When a team is performing then even the weakest links in a certain team come up with some excellent performances and thats how it is . For me A good team also extracts the best outta even the most ordinary players. I highly doubt that Wasim Akram if had to play for Srilanka, was going to have the same sort of a record that he actualy has right now . So for me Excellent records don't necessarily make a good team but an excellent team always give rise to the chances of having excellent records of even the cripplest players of the team ....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
First of all IMHO some times records on paper don't just reflect the true story of how a certain player actually is . When a team is performing then even the weakest links in a certain team come up with some excellent performances and thats how it is . For me A good team also extracts the best outta even the most ordinary players. I highly doubt that Wasim Akram if had to play for Srilanka, was going to have the same sort of a record that he actualy has right now . So for me Excellent records don't necessarily make a good team but an excellent team always give rise to the chances of having excellent records of even the cripplest players of the team ....
I said it before and I'll say it again..

FRAZ

International Captain
I said it before and I'll say it again..

My point was that being part of good tem even the medium level players lift the tempo of their game .As one can see that every thing goes in Australia's way !

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My point was that being part of good tem even the medium level players lift the tempo of their game .As one can see that every thing goes in Australia's way !
I get your point. It still doesn't say anything about why the Sri Lankan players are better though.

Your point is all well and good about Australia playing well as a team, but your thoughts about Sri Lanka are mind boggling.,

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I can give a south africans response to Mahmoods call up :unsure: "crap" , he's got a really good average against us, however when we play the way we have been i dont think there is a better odi team in the world

Yet none chokes better than RSA in crunch matches.SA might have a very good side but they are not better than Australia, and unlike Australia they don't know how to perform in the last 2 matches of major events like WC.

Pakistan on their off day can even make Bangladesh look like "world beaters", doesn't mean that Bangladesh are actually good.Bottom line is , when Pak play the way they have been playing (in shorter format) then they is no team worse than them in the world.

I think in comming WC all Asian teams wils suck, i don't have much hope with Indian team, SL are doing good but still are capable of doing great in WC, Pak were good till sometime back but are a complete mess. I think the teams likely to win WC happen to be either Australia,NZ,SA or WI.SA will play some great cricket but will choke to death in big matches, that leaves just NZ or WI to stop the mighty AUstralian.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gutted that this game doesn't start till 1.30, not sure whether to wake myself up and watch it. Hopefully it's a tighter contest this time.