• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in New Zealand

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Ben Sears was only selected in the squad for the 1st 2 games and bowled really well with disconcerting bounce hitting the splice. Ferguson will now replace him in the squad for games 3, 4, and 5.
Didn’t realise or forgot he was only there for the first two, that seems very short sighted. In the bright side, Fergo getting launched to all parts in his place might make the games a bit closer.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
At what point do you get shifty at Finn Allen? If he reigned it in 10% (after getting through power play, and then losing Kane) would we be looking 230/4 rather than 190?

I don't profess to bea t20 batting tactics expert. It's just elevator music to me. But I assume someone has data on that sort of stuff.

Is it normal in t20 to reign it back a bit if u get thru powerplay? Like a modern N Astle? Or does everyone keep thrashing relentlessly regardless? (And data/analysis backs that as a correct approach?).

Just seems impossible, to me, for 2 set batsmen to NOT get 2 boundaries an over at Sneddon Park without much risk. Surely you 'earn the right' to then just astle it for 10 overs.
Reward doesn't come without risk in any aspect of life, no question. But to me, Finn's development will come through playing the percentages much better, and being smarter about the way he uses his talents. He's been bowled 11 times in 37 innings. That's three less than Kane from 87 innings, or to compare closer apples with apples, Gup has 17 from 118 innings.

In Finn's last 19 T20I innings, he's been bowled 8 times, lbw another two, and was bowled off a no ball in another.

I actually didn't have any issue with him continuing to play the same way through the middle orders. That's his job, it's a small enough ground, Pakistan's line-up is hittable enough that we were set up for 220 or so with him batting that way. But the shot he played to get out was poor. If you sky one charging, trying to hit in your zone, no issue. If you splice one hooking, OK, as long as it's a shot you play well and is lucrative for you. Sometimes you'll scratch one behind trying to cut. But to miss straight ones, as he did here, off the no ball at Eden Park, that's holding him back from being a more effective run scorer. He needs the foundation of a decent defensive technique, and the judgement of when to use it, to go to the next level.

I actually think he doesn't watch the ball hard enough. Seems to be done by changes of pace, like he was really undone by the (admittedly outstanding and unseen before) slower ball at Eden Park, and Usama bowled one 10km quicker he didn't pick up on. I remember an ex-player saying that some batsmen watch the area around the ball, but the greats watch the ball, the seam, much more intently and can react to it better as a result.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'm really looking forward to today's match. I was beginning to think I'm starting to enjoy T20s thanks to free to air coverage and there being a game on everyday between the super smash and the international games. Just great to get home after work, turn the tv on and someone's boshing a six "straight up"

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is Azam Khan actually good or is it like, an elaborate joke?

Hes been very poor everytime I've seen him despite wishing for his success

thierry henry

International Coach
Is Azam Khan actually good or is it like, an elaborate joke?

Hes been very poor everytime I've seen him despite wishing for his success
His overall T20 numbers are pretty decent for a keeper/batsman expected to bosh down the order? Him being selected for T20Is in the first place doesn't appear egregious on the face of it, although he doesn't appear to pass the eye test and probably can't keep averaging 3 for much longer.

Chubb

International Regular
There was a lot of commentary about nepotism when Azam Khan was called up. Some pointed out his decent record as a lower order hitter/keeper in domestics but when you have Rizwan I don't see why you need him.

thierry henry

International Coach
There was a lot of commentary about nepotism when Azam Khan was called up. Some pointed out his decent record as a lower order hitter/keeper in domestics but when you have Rizwan I don't see why you need him.
Yeah, I meant that his record doesn't scream "not good enough for T20Is", however the selection might still be egregious in the context of team composition e.g. Rizwan existing.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Quick question without any great level of care - why a 1pm start on a week day? I know Uni Oval doesn't have lights, and you like to share it around, but 1pm doesn't seem ideal for either viewership on TV or attendance in a city where students aren't there and it's a work day

Chubb

International Regular
Quick question without any great level of care - why a 1pm start on a week day? I know Uni Oval doesn't have lights, and you like to share it around, but 1pm doesn't seem ideal for either viewership on TV or attendance in a city where students aren't there and it's a work day
It's January in New Zealand, half the country is still on holiday.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah school holidays. The more surprising thing is that you'd expect this may get decent viewership from the subcontinent if it was played at 7.30pm our time.

I do like this though